MS Patients, I need your suggestions

bill704

A friend of mine currently is going through the hell of suffering from MS, who deals with it smoking marijuana. In the circle last night, I asked her, "Why not try ingesting the marijuana? Make a butter out of it, maybe you can make it mild enough to treat your symptoms yet not get you too fucked up... As a food, you'll be able to take your "medication" essentially anywhere, without worrying about suspicious smoke coming from your car on lunch break."

So any suggestions as to what recipes might work best for her? Alterations in the amount of weed in the recipe? Any help would greatly be appreciated from the both of us.

Not sure about what recipes would work, but if you havent already check out the Cannabis Kitchen forum, they got all kinds of info on recipes in there.

Cannabis Edibles

Thank you, but I was really trying to get a less 'recipe' type answer on this one. Mainly, should one with MS make her CannaButter with or without the full ounce? What should the ratio between the recipe and what you actually need it for be?

Was I able to straighten that out a little?

Unfortunately there really is no standard. It will always vary by potency of the marijuana and how well you perform the cooking process. I've made brownies out of a half once, ate 4, and got so messed up. Two days later we used an entire ounce, I ate three and didn't feel much at all. Honesty I've tried it many times with different legit recipes and have had little success along with a lot of wasted bud. You have to perfect the process.

What grade marijuana is normally available to your friend?
She should also consider investing in a vaporizer

Your post just reminded me... An old coworker of mine has gone to school for the culinary arts, and from what I hear, he's pretty damned good with making goodies. He'd be a good person to ask about this.

As for right now, to answer your questions, usually mid grades are available around her area. As for a vaporizer, I'd love to invest in one, but I'm not too sure about her. Would a vaporizer be better for that type of thing?

A vaporizer is a excellent idea. When you smoke marijuana out of a bowl, bubbler, bong, etc. you burn the entire plants material along with somewhere around 300 chemicals. A vaporizer slowly heats up to the exact temperature that the chemical THC burns. This way you only smoke the THC out of the bud, and the plant material is left virtually untouched. This is the safest and healthiest way to smoke marijuana but detracts from the experience as there is little smell or smoke. Many make the sacrifice to avoid detection but many who use medicinally use them for the health benefits. Many find them more effective than even bongs as well. Very serious smokers will invest anywhere from 700- thousands of dollars on a good vaporizer and then never buy another piece in their lifetime. 500-700 dollars will get you a volcano, which many swear by. Be prepared to spend at least 150-200 dollars for an effective vap (an 150 dollar standard box vap will do the trick). Anything less might not work so hot.

The same is for brownies, cake, cookies, etc. The THC is baked away from the plant material in making cannabutter. There is still no ratio or recipe for potency but if you friend normally has mids I would recommend that she uses a half ounce for an entire batch. I'm an experienced smoker, did the same thing, ate 5 brownies and was so messed up. She should make them, eat one, wait 2 hours and see how she feels. If nothing, wait until the next day and try eating 2. Again wait two hours to see how she feels. That should do but she could try eating 3 or 4 if needed. If thats the case she could use an 0 and only have to eat one or two.

I dunno if this will help but the MMJ co-ops I see here in the Los Angeles area have premade edibles, some better than others.

Id just like to reiterate and agree with all posts thus far - it all depends on potency and/or ratio of weed to butter. But as Waterfall mentioned, if the person in question is a legal patient, most co-ops and dispenserys have pre-made edibles availible for this just this type of situation.

not exactly what you asked but...

an easy way to smoke but not get as stoned as everyone else would be to take a hit but don't cover the carb hole. you probably smoke half what everyone else is but still participate. of course you'd need a pipe with a carb hole.

not exactly what you asked but...

an easy way to smoke but not get as stoned as everyone else would be to take a hit but don't cover the carb hole. you probably smoke half what everyone else is but still participate. of course you'd need a pipe with a carb hole.

Whoa thats a good idea - I never thought of that before :cheesygrinsmiley: and I suppose if thats not getting you ENOUGH smoke, you could try covering the carb at half, or just use the carb to adjust the amount your getting to your liking. good advice!

Back
Top Bottom