MT: Butte Medical Marijuana Dispensaries, Patients Excited About I-182 Decision

Katelyn Baker

Butte medical marijuana dispensaries and patients received with excitement the news Wednesday that Initiative 182 goes into effect immediately.

Butte-resident and medical marijuana patient Johnny Shipley was cut off on Aug. 29, and his wife Kathy, who was one of few patients to retain access, had to ration her marijuana.

"I'm delighted," Shipley said over the phone, "my wife is right beside me here in the store buying a substitute.''

Shipley said he and his wife were buying acetaminophen, a mostly over-the-counter painkiller, from a local pharmacy to cope with the medical marijuana shortage, but that they weren't going to put it back on the shelf and head straight to their dispensary.

"We'll go home and put it in the cupboard considering the zeal Republicans have been showing," Shipley said, referencing the conservative legislation that passed the 2011 bill that cut off patient access in August.

Shipley's wife takes medical marijuana for her multiple sclerosis, and he for arthritis, but also PTSD, which as of I-182's passing qualifies Montanans for the medical marijuana program.

On a hunch, medical marijuana dispensary owner JJ Thomas reopened his store, the Marijuana Company, 2040 Harrison Ave., on Tuesday. He knew about lawyer Jim Goetz' filing in court requesting the initiative take effect immediately, and figured a head start would be smart.

Montana District Judge James Reynolds restored patient access to medical marijuana Wednesday, mandating the Montana Department of Health and Human Services immediately nullify the three-patient limit and ban on payment for providers.

Over 93 percent of patients were cut off from medical marijuana after legislation from 2011 came into effect on Aug. 29, forcing dispensaries to abandon most patients.

Reynolds' ruling granted a request in Broadwater County by Goetz, representing the Montana Cannabis Industry Association, recognizing the implementation date of June 30 for the bill's most important provisions was a clerical error.

The Marijuana Company's Thomas heard about Reynolds' ruling while driving to his dispensary Wednesday.

"We're definitely ready to be open, thank God," Thomas said.

The first patient back through Thomas' door was Ryan Evans, a 21-year-old Butte resident who uses medical marijuana to stem the migraine pain from multiple concussions. He was cut off on Aug. 29, but when he saw the Marijuana Company's open sign Tuesday he stopped by to get his paperwork back in order.

Evans said he stocked up a little before Aug. 29, but was glad the system was back in order.

"Everything dried up, and I've been back on medication for a while," Evans said.

Marijuana Company worker George Zachary was in the process of hanging up new banners to advertise the store's reopening.

"Judge Reynolds came through again," he said.

Reynolds has previously ruled in favor of patient access rights to medical marijuana, twice blocking the patient and profit limit provisions of the 2011 legislation that the Supreme Court later brought into effect on Aug. 29 of this year.

State health department spokesman Jon Ebelt said there's already a bureaucratic flurry underway, with nearly 300 cardholder, provider, and change request forms already filed, most of them dropped off at the Helena office.

"DPHHS stands ready to respond and assist those who will be reapplying to become a cardholder or provider, or perhaps applying for the first time," Ebelt said in a press release. "As we begin to receive cardholder and provider applications or change requests, we will process them as soon as possible."

WalterHinick2.jpg

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Butte Medical Marijuana Dispensaries, Patients Excited About I-182 Decision
Author: Hunter Pauli
Photo Credit: Walter Hinick

Back
Top Bottom