Multi-Strain Seed Run

Wow sounds just like Quebec except that they don't send you home. My son waited 37 hours for stitches when he split his head open just above his eye. But hey we need more money for pet projects right? Lol. There's a waiting list here for family doctors. I've been here for 11 years still no doctor. And to think some Americans are screaming for a "free" system like ours.

I'm a bit late to this party but if you don't mind I'll tag along. Working on a seed run myself so any info I can get from a pro can only help. Great looking stuff so far @Old Salt.
Where did you get you sodium thiosulfate?

I bought both the sodium thiosulfate, and the silver nitrate through e-bay. You may be able to find both at a photography shop that has been in business for more than twenty years. A pool and spa company that has been around for a while may have the sodium thiosulfate. I called all of the shops within 50Km without any luck.

I'm a bit late to this party but if you don't mind I'll tag along. Working on a seed run myself so any info I can get from a pro can only help. Great looking stuff so far @Old Salt.
Where did you get you sodium thiosulfate?

Good question on the STS! Looking for a Cdn source as well.

I can send you the Silver Thiosulfate solutions at cost.

I've looked there but most of it was coming from Estonia or something of the sort. Just iffy about getting that front there.
Yes, but the cost from one of the chemical supply companies here in Canada is outrageous.

I paid $45 for 25 gm of Silver Nitrate, and $6.50 for 100 gm of Sodium Thiosulfate. The bottles to put it in cost more than the chemicals.

Yes, but the cost from one of the chemical supply companies here in Canada is outrageous.

I paid $45 for 25 gm of Silver Nitrate, and $6.50 for 100 gm of Sodium Thiosulfate. The bottles to put it in cost more than the chemicals.
What you're willing to send at cost, would that be the mixed final product?

Morning, Mr. Salt! I found a fan on the big South American river.ca that I like.

It oscillates, has two speeds, and the best part, has a clamp that fits directly on round tent poles. Not sure if it suits your criteria, but an option to consider.

How are you feeling these days?

Yeah.....my Vivosun fan died after a couple months.....oscillating died first and the fan itself is already dying....I think the percentage of these things lasting longer than a couple months isn't that high.

The 8 oz ready to use spray bottles would be $12.00.
The 32 oz concentrate would be $20.00. This needs to be mixed with three parts distilled water for use.

Packaging and shipping for either would be $15 - $25.

The 32 oz concentrate would be $20.00. This needs to be mixed with three parts distilled water for use.

How far would 8oz go?

Yeah.....my Vivosun fan died after a couple months.....oscillating died first and the fan itself is already dying....I think the percentage of these things lasting longer than a couple months isn't that high.

Bummer. So far I have been lucky. Hope it holds up!

This sounds great, Mr. Salt! Is the concentrate pretty shelf-stable? I think I read that it needs to be refrigerated for longer-term storage? So the concentrate has the two chemical components in it, and just add water to dilute down? I would love to take you up on this. I'll send you a PM later today and we can figure something out!

Thank you in advance!

That is literally what I said a week or so ago when someone else's exact same fan stopped working. If you are using these fans you should at least be planning on having a plan B. I was gonna order another one, but I am just gonna go with something different now.

Good advice. I do have some other old turbo fans that take up floor space, and don't oscillate, so I could put them into use in the event of a breakdown. Hadn't really thought about that until you mentioned it, thanks.

I bought some 6" clip-on/desk fans at Home Hardware. Two of these have been running for two years now without a problem. I have two spares still in the box. The only problem is they don't oscillate.

I'm looking for slim mini-tower oscillating fans about 20" tall with a decent airflow. I'm thinking of turning them on their sides, and attaching them to the light. This way there would be only one height adjustment to make. OK - I'm lazy :laugh:

I bought some 6" clip-on/desk fans at Home Hardware. Two of these have been running for two years now without a problem. I have two spares still in the box. The only problem is they don't oscillate.

I'm looking for slim mini-tower oscillating fans about 20" tall with a decent airflow. I'm thinking of turning them on their sides, and attaching them to the light. This way there would be only one height adjustment to make. OK - I'm lazy :laugh:

Since I plan on moving out of my tent and building "a room" I just grabbed a cheapie 12" oscillating fan from crappy tire. Moving out of the tent should clear up a bunch of head aches. I could hang it upside down with some rope and have it blowing over the canopy....but I got some floor space, so we are moving the air through the bottom. I think I might dissect this vivosun and see if I might be able to fix it. From the sound and my gut feeling is that it is filled with plastic parts...gears etc.....It starts to turn, but stops when it wants to change directions. I might be able to machine something and fix it up. If it is the motor I am tossing it in the trash and not looking back.

Have a good one Salt!

20190611_171300.jpg

We have several 20 year old oscillating desk fans in the house. I bought them in Ottawa while living in an apartment. I screwed a piece of plywood to the bottom, and used the plywood to mount it on the ceiling.

In addition to the above, I want a fan with a mechanical switch, or electronics with a battery backup for automatic restart after a power failure.

Back
Top Bottom