Grow Type - Soil
Grow Stage - Vegetative
Bucket Size - 7.5 Gallon
Lights - (3) 300w Led
Nutrients - None using M3 soil
Medium - M3 soil
PPM - water is RO about 15
PH - 6.5
RH - 32% to 42% having a hard time getting humidity up bought new cool mist humidifier.
Room Temperature -72 to 78
Solution Temperature -65 to 69
Room Square Footage - 4' x 4'
Pests - None Known

I am using M3 soil and have been watering with RO water Ph 6.5, 5ml cal/mag, 5ml silica and 5ml of sulfur free molasses per gallon.
The seedlings were in solo cups 25 days and doing great.
I transplanted into 7.5 gallon cloth pots and they seemed to have a shock and growth slowed.

They are at 8 weeks today and have been battling slow growth and what I am guessing Zinc deficiency on a few of the plants worse than others.
On one plant I added zinc plated nails about a week ago (2 waterings ago) in the soil to try that but I am not seeing any results yet.
I also believe the soil has some hot spots.

These were photos after transplant about 1 week, last photo is current of worst plant.

IMG_205419.JPG

IMG_205520.JPG

022422.JPG

IMG_215916.JPG

High Ruthy,

I recommend to you a flush with tepid h2o pH'd to 6.5

The amount of water to use is Triple the size that your pot can hold. Do it in the morning, never at night.

Once your pot is relatively light and begging for water again, then you may begin your feed at 1/4 strength

Vlad

High Ruthy,

I recommend to you a flush with tepid h2o pH'd to 6.5

The amount of water to use is Triple the size that your pot can hold. Do it in the morning, never at night.

Once your pot is relatively light and begging for water again, then you may begin your feed at 1/4 strength

Vlad

Hello Vladimir,
I forgot to put that in there, I flushed it 8 days ago and the run off was 6.7.
I tried that before posting but didn't notice anything different, which is why I thought I would ask the community.

This is only my second grow and I am thinking the soil is the problem but thought the flushes would have taken care of the problem.
I am just not sure that Zinc is the deficiency, which is why I only tried the plated nails in one plant.
The plants are at 8 weeks veg but hoped to have this figured out before flowering.

Hello Ruthy

That twisting of new growth, along with the paling between the veins, is a pretty sure sign of magnesium deficiency.

Next watering, add a couple of table spoons of Epsom salt to your water. You won't see any improvement of current leaves, but your new growth will not be twisted and will be a healthy color if it is Mg.

I am having problems with the mag deficiency idea simply because you are adding calmag and have your pH adjusted to 6.5 with it drifting toward the high side, which would be perfect for mag uptake. I think at one time you had a mag deficiency as shown on the lower fan leaves, probably from using RO... but you corrected that with the 6.5 pH and the calmag.

This yellowing in the top growth indicates a non-mobile nutrient deficiency, and zinc is a likely suspect. I think what is happening is that your soil is quickly drifting your pH up out of the low ranges, and with you coming in at 6.5, it is already out of the range for the trace elements. I would reduce the pH to 6.3 for a couple of rounds and see if that improves the color at the top.

Mary Jane likes her calcium and magnesium. :nomo:
Tap has it but don't be fooled. Carbonates are the hardest forms of nutrient for the plant to break down.
Just take out your wallet and order a few bottles of consumer grade calmag and enjoy the chelated goodness.
it's highly soluble for the plant.
Although as said by our Mod, epsom salt will also give you added S. Mmmm sulfur.

Vlad

Deficiencies are often solved by process of elimination, if its not an obvious deficiency. The reason I suggest Mg is because it is the most common def found in our beloved plant and often mistaken for other deficiencies. Mg is the central atom in the formation of all forms of chlorophyll responsible for the green coloring and photosynthesis.

Epsom salt is a cheap fix for Mg deficiencies, a bag only costs a few dollars and will last you years. Adding 2 tbsp. to a gallon of water and giving it to the plant in question will fix the problem in a few days and will not cause other deficiencies or lockout. If after a few days, the new growth isn't healthy looking, then you have ruled out Mg as a cause and can look into rarer deficiencies like zinc, boron, iron etc.

Note: some strains are Mg hogs, like my THC Bomb, and require more Mg than others.

Hello Ruthy

That twisting of new growth, along with the paling between the veins, is a pretty sure sign of magnesium deficiency.

Next watering, add a couple of table spoons of Epsom salt to your water. You won't see any improvement of current leaves, but your new growth will not be twisted and will be a healthy color if it is Mg.

Mary Jane likes her calcium and magnesium. :nomo:
Tap has it but don't be fooled. Carbonates are the hardest forms of nutrient for the plant to break down.
Just take out your wallet and order a few bottles of consumer grade calmag and enjoy the chelated goodness.
it's highly soluble for the plant.
Although as said by our Mod, epsom salt will also give you added S. Mmmm sulfur.

Vlad

Using Equlibrium cal/mag 1-1-2 @ 5ml/gal should I up the amount or try adding the Epson salt?

I have been working 16hr shifts and feel like the walking dead but will be able to finish my new grow room soon:D

I am having problems with the mag deficiency idea simply because you are adding calmag and have your pH adjusted to 6.5 with it drifting toward the high side, which would be perfect for mag uptake. I think at one time you had a mag deficiency as shown on the lower fan leaves, probably from using RO... but you corrected that with the 6.5 pH and the calmag.

This yellowing in the top growth indicates a non-mobile nutrient deficiency, and zinc is a likely suspect. I think what is happening is that your soil is quickly drifting your pH up out of the low ranges, and with you coming in at 6.5, it is already out of the range for the trace elements. I would reduce the pH to 6.3 for a couple of rounds and see if that improves the color at the top.

Wish I had come here 30 mins ago, I just watered but will def try it next few times.
I am going to test soil run off also next time and see where everything is at.

Thank you

That may be your problem then, molasses is good for your plants but used sparingly. Molasses contains high levels of potassium which when built up to excessive levels, will cause Mg lockout. Not ll strains are created equal and some will be more susceptible than others.

For the plants having issues, try omitting the molasses from their waterings and see if they recover.

On my first grow, I started adding 1-2 tbsp. of molasses to every watering, and created a Mg lockout in one strain, the other strain wasn't affected.

There are certain ratios of Ca:Mg:K that when out of balance in your soil, will cause you all kinds of grief.

If you are the kind of person who likes to do research for a better understanding of soils and how they relate to plant growth, check out this thread:

Building a better soil-Demonstrations and Discussions of Organic Soil Recipes

There is a lot of information there on how to understand what is going on in the soil and how it relates to plant growth.

That may be your problem then, molasses is good for your plants but used sparingly. Molasses contains high levels of potassium which when built up to excessive levels, will cause Mg lockout. Not ll strains are created equal and some will be more susceptible than others.

For the plants having issues, try omitting the molasses from their waterings and see if they recover.

On my first grow, I started adding 1-2 tbsp. of molasses to every watering, and created a Mg lockout in one strain, the other strain wasn't affected.

There are certain ratios of Ca:Mg:K that when out of balance in your soil, will cause you all kinds of grief.

If you are the kind of person who likes to do research for a better understanding of soils and how they relate to plant growth, check out this thread:

Building a better soil-Demonstrations and Discussions of Organic Soil Recipes

There is a lot of information there on how to understand what is going on in the soil and how it relates to plant growth.

That would make sense. I read everything I could on my first grow and will definitely read that one. I have just been working so much these last 3-4 months since I got back on my feet that I have not been on here much but after the first of the year I think I will be back to reg hrs and can devote some much need time to my garden.

Thank you

You are much welcome Ruthy :)

There are a number of us that contribute to that thread, having researched and continuing to research soil and how to build one suited specifically for our plants :)

If you come across questions concerning your soil, give a shout, one of us (maybe all of us) will do what we can to answer you :)

Back
Top Bottom