Multiple issues with first time grow!! Yellowing, spotting and some curling! Help!

Re: Multiple issues with first time grow!! Yellowing, spotting and some curling!! *HE

Thanks for coming and taking a look Lester!
Raiven, Lester is a Plant Guru, seriously haha. Knows much more than I do about this, even I was over thinking it lol. Yeah, honestly, I'd just take those two misshapen necrotic fan leaves off your small plant and go from there if I were you, as long as it doesn't start getting your new growth no biggie.

Re: Multiple issues with first time grow!! Yellowing, spotting and some curling!! *HE

Hey Raven, I'm glad you've started the grow journal. IMHO I think you have over fed just a little at this point and under watered. When watering, water away from the main stalk. I try to keep a 2-3" radius un-watered at the base of the plant. This will make the roots search for water which promotes root growth. I also like to use a measuring cup when I water so I know how much I'm giving each plant. Every plant is different, they all have different needs and likes. I'm growing in 3 gal. pots and after 3 months am watering on average 64oz (1/2 gallon). For the plants I have in 1 gal pots I water on average 8-16oz (1-2 cups) ea. As mentioned by SoilGirl watering until I get some run-off. Try not to panic when you first notice something different about your plants. Watch them for a few days and see how the issue develops so you can be more certain about what you think the issue is and how you are going to treat it. Keep a journal at home as well, the more detail you document the better reference you'll have for future grows. There is no such thing as a perfect plant, there are too many variables that effect them. Try to be consistent in your care for them. At this point of your grow one of the most important things I would stress is don't Love them to Death. I think it is safe to say that we have all been where you are and from my personal experience, I thought the more I did to and for them was the best thing but in reality, Less is More. You'll be fine! Nothing I've seen in your photos is serious enough to freak out about. They are going through changes and little issues are going to pop up regardless of how you care for them. Keep in mind, I'm no expert and I am on my first grow as well. There are great growers/cultivators here at 420 mag. And all are very helpful and kind. Good luck and I'm subscribing to this journal and will follow along your journey as I will learn from you as much or more than you will learn from anything I can contribute.

What an awesome reply LOL...

This puts so many of my fears to rest...

Ive read a bit about fixing snapped branches and using super cropping with duct tape hahahaha...
I think if the soil can be brought to normal pH i wont have to transplant...Im sure the roots havent made it past maybe 4 or more inches out from the center of the plant...Since Ive only been watering a fraction of what I should have been...

I did a fair amount of research on transplanting and everything you said sounds exactly right...I think on my next run I will use smaller containers then gradually move up to these 3 gallon pots...Then I will get some practice in LOL...

I got all my info on watering and everything else over a 3 month information binge including hours of reading forums, endless hours of youtube videos & hearsay from alot of people I know that thought they knew everything hahaha... Needless to say the information was SO diverse...
So many of the same concepts told in so many different ways...
I tried to make sense of all of it but there is so much...
Now on here actually talking to someone directly about it is so much better!!!
I learn so much better "hands on" if you will with someone who has done something before helping me along...

I will do run off, tap water & nute water testing (not in that order) tomorrow after work when i start the week 3 feeding schedule...
Ill use 1 gallon approx. per 3 gallon pot as opposed to previous waterings...

Great advice & thank you again!!:thanks:

By the way, LOVE the Anger Management reference!!!:high-five:
Thank you for bringing me back from sanity about my plants LOL

Updates again tomorrow!!

Have a great night!!

:peace:

Hey Raiven just catching up on your journal and your doing well for your first grow. I would water until you have about 10% - 20% run-off out of the bottom of the plant and test, I do every time I water, with or without nutes. And like stated above ph is very important...but just don't over think and do a knee jerk reaction.

One thing that has helped me is something someone told me, "Remember it is just a weed and a lot stronger/tougher than you think". And you will find this out on this grow...it is amazing how much they can endure, like soilgirl said, brake a limb, just tap it back and it will take care of itself.

Subbed and watching :)

The growth looks fine! Nothing to worry about here. Like SoilGirl said, once the initial leaves have served their purpose and "adjust" to their soil and home, they grow out of it. Based off these last pictures, I'm not sure what the big fuss is about. One cannot expect each and every specimen to be exactly perfect all the time, there is always going to be some little blemish, or metabolic abnormality being expressed in the leaves, as long as its localized and the new growth looks lush,green, and unaffected - then we're golden.

If I was worried, then I would just flush the pot and get some good run-off. A good flush can be real helpful sometimes. I personally don't mess with the pH of my soils ever since I have dolomitic lime as a pH buffer already in my soil. So if you have no buffer, adjusting your water pH won't do much. Sometimes less is more, I think that is one of these situations.

Looks fine to me! :)

PS. Refrain from overwatering right now! They will grow a lot if you don't overwater. It may even be unnecessary to flush that small plant, especially if the new growth is unaffected.

Hey Lester thank you so much for stopping by!!
I very much appreciate the re-assurance...
I know I seem in a panic and I truly did not want to make a big fuss I just was concerned and wanted to take immediate steps to prevent any losses...I wasnt expecting perfection, just hoping to avoid disaster hahaha...
This being my FIRST grow and not knowing what anything means (blemishes, discolorations, curling and more) I wanted to get my information out there to get help from awesome experts like yourself!! :thanks:

As far as watering...
The plants have not had any watering since last thursday...My original schedule was feeding and watering MONDAYS & THRUSDAYS...
I skipped yesterday and was going to start WEEK 3 of feeding and watering today shifting to TUESDAYS & FRIDAYS...Do you think using HALF strength on the nutes with proper watering will be ok?
I have not been using the correct amount of water and I have also been pouring in close to the stem...

Thanks for coming and taking a look Lester!
Raiven, Lester is a Plant Guru, seriously haha. Knows much more than I do about this, even I was over thinking it lol. Yeah, honestly, I'd just take those two misshapen necrotic fan leaves off your small plant and go from there if I were you, as long as it doesn't start getting your new growth no biggie.

Hey SG...Lester seems to def know his plant stuff...
posted last night that i took off the rounded leaves and the first set of serrated leaves on each plant
it was so much fun!! i feel like a kid doing this stuff its great ... i wish i had started this along time ago!!

cant wait to get home to see their progress and post some updates for everyone on here!!

Hey Raven, I'm glad you've started the grow journal. IMHO I think you have over fed just a little at this point and under watered. When watering, water away from the main stalk. I try to keep a 2-3" radius un-watered at the base of the plant. This will make the roots search for water which promotes root growth. I also like to use a measuring cup when I water so I know how much I'm giving each plant. Every plant is different, they all have different needs and likes. I'm growing in 3 gal. pots and after 3 months am watering on average 64oz (1/2 gallon). For the plants I have in 1 gal pots I water on average 8-16oz (1-2 cups) ea. As mentioned by SoilGirl watering until I get some run-off. Try not to panic when you first notice something different about your plants. Watch them for a few days and see how the issue develops so you can be more certain about what you think the issue is and how you are going to treat it. Keep a journal at home as well, the more detail you document the better reference you'll have for future grows. There is no such thing as a perfect plant, there are too many variables that effect them. Try to be consistent in your care for them. At this point of your grow one of the most important things I would stress is don't Love them to Death. I think it is safe to say that we have all been where you are and from my personal experience, I thought the more I did to and for them was the best thing but in reality, Less is More. You'll be fine! Nothing I've seen in your photos is serious enough to freak out about. They are going through changes and little issues are going to pop up regardless of how you care for them. Keep in mind, I'm no expert and I am on my first grow as well. There are great growers/cultivators here at 420 mag. And all are very helpful and kind. Good luck and I'm subscribing to this journal and will follow along your journey as I will learn from you as much or more than you will learn from anything I can contribute.

Hey Shadow! Thanks so much for checking out my threads!!
After talking with SoilGirl and Lesters post and some aditional research Im doing I 100% AGREE with you!!
Im under watering and slightly over-feeding (at least on the last feed)...Does the size of the plant matter when feeding? Like I described in my Journal I mix all the nutes into 1 quart (or less earlier on) of water and pour it pretty equally into each plant EVEN THOUGH you can see in the picture that vary by INCHES in size...
I am going to START (thanks to SoilGirl) watering the entire POT instead of just where I THINK the roots have grown to so far...In doing that I will also implement your 2-3 inch rule to help the roots expand out...
Definitely going to start getting that run off going...
I will also put the panic on hold...thank you hahahaha...
I am keeping a written journal as well as the Journal thread I have on here to document everything that happens each day along with pictures as youve seen...I am a bit OCD with detail and organization which is evident in my grow logs LOL
Its hard not to over-love these beautiful effing plants knowing what they will give you at the end of the grow hahaha...

Thanks again for your advice and I will be sure to subb your grow as well!!
We can definitely learn from each other here, and youre right, everyone so far has been nothing but kind and enthusiastic to help out!!

Hey Raiven just catching up on your journal and your doing well for your first grow. I would water until you have about 10% - 20% run-off out of the bottom of the plant and test, I do every time I water, with or without nutes. And like stated above ph is very important...but just don't over think and do a knee jerk reaction.

One thing that has helped me is something someone told me, "Remember it is just a weed and a lot stronger/tougher than you think". And you will find this out on this grow...it is amazing how much they can endure, like soilgirl said, brake a limb, just tap it back and it will take care of itself.

Subbed and watching :)

Hey KnotSpeed! Thanks so much for joining the thread!!
That quote you mentioned above is starting to really make sense to me now after talking with everybody on here...
I will def take your advice of testing during each watering, probably before and after and pre and post nutes...

Thank you for the sub! I will be sure to sub back..
Stay tuned for daily updates and information!!

Heres the update for 07-08-14

Since removing the round leaves and the first serrated leaves from each plant they seem to be doing great...
The Large and Medium plants look amazing and show no other signs of any problems...
The Small plant got a little worse on its first set of serrated leaves so I removed these...
I did a full watering and feeding yesterday, along with pH testing of the Water, Water w/ Nutes & runoff...

Water alone tested at about 7.0
Water with Nutes tested ACIDIC (4.0-5.0) so I added 3/4 tsp of pH UP and got it back to 7.0
Runoff tested ACIDIC for all three plants
All the details are listed in my grow journal...

Here are some pictures:
20140708_192648.jpg
20140708_192730.jpg
20140708_192807.jpg
20140708_212506.jpg
20140708_212535.jpg
20140708_212620.jpg
20140708_175921.jpg
20140708_180654.jpg
20140708_182256.jpg
20140708_182414.jpg
20140708_182836.jpg
20140708_183342.jpg

Raiven...

Just in my experience, messing with pH too much in soil mediums often does more harm than good.

Feel free to check out this blog post that a fellow writer wrote up, we are trying to educate new growers about soil and pH problems.

pH and whatnot in soil. - Blogs - 420 Magazine ®

Just in my experience, messing with pH too much in soil mediums often does more harm than good.

Feel free to check out this blog post that a fellow writer wrote up, we are trying to educate new growers about soil and pH problems.

pH and whatnot in soil. - Blogs - 420 Magazine ®

Believe me I DO NOT want to mess with pH hahaha
I would like to learn as much about it as possible though...
Thank you for the blog link I will def check it out today!!

-Temp.: 77 deg - 95 deg
-A/C continuously running set to 70 - 75 deg

anything over 86 degrees stunts growth of new tissues / can cause bleaching. unless using CO2 then I think the max temp is 90 degrees.

-Temp.: 77 deg - 95 deg
-A/C continuously running set to 70 - 75 deg

anything over 86 degrees stunts growth of new tissues / can cause bleaching. unless using CO2 then I think the max temp is 90 degrees.

:welcome:

Thank you for the tip! I will be taking some steps tonight to gain control of the temp. & hum. issues...
As well as constructing a grow box...

Ok Raiven, here is an opposing thought for you. As an organic grower, I check pH maybe once per grow. And generally only if I suspect a possible problem. I don't want to get a cascade of criticism since I respect everyone's view, but I believe the whole lockout premise to be greatly overstated. Our plant can thrive in a broad range of ph. That said, when using synthetics, then it's a different ballgame of which I'm not at all knowledgeable.

Ok Raiven, here is an opposing thought for you. As an organic grower, I check pH maybe once per grow. And generally only if I suspect a possible problem. I don't want to get a cascade of criticism since I respect everyone's view, but I believe the whole lockout premise to be greatly overstated. Our plant can thrive in a broad range of ph. That said, when using synthetics, then it's a different ballgame of which I'm not at all knowledgeable.

Hey BrightLight! :welcome:

Thanks for stopping by!
Thats an interesting thought for sure...
First time grower here though so I have limited perspective on it so far hahahaha...
Hopefully we will see some responses from others

While I wouldn't advise only checking pH once per grow, I really respect BL's view there. Cannabis is a really strong plant, and your plants look healthy, no major blemishes, so I wouldn't freak over pH.

While I wouldn't advise only checking pH once per grow, I really respect BL's view there. Cannabis is a really strong plant, and your plants look healthy, no major blemishes, so I wouldn't freak over pH.

I am finding out how vigilant these plants really are...

NO PHREAKOUTS TODAY!!! (yet anyway, we will see what happens when I get home to check on my girls :thumb:) LOL

Here is todays update...

Im focusing mainly on the Small Plant for the rest of this thread unless the Large and Medium plants come down with any issues...

So after checking the plants I noticed they were all super healthy and amazingly gorgeous except for some white/yellow spots showing up on the first set of serrate leaves on the small plant...
This is the same way it started on the last serrated leaves I cut off last night...
There are pictures below and comments are encouraged!!

THANK YOU ALL!!

20140709_173524.jpg
20140709_173553.jpg
20140709_173621.jpg
20140709_173634.jpg
20140709_173648.jpg

I was just sitting here contemplating TOPPING this small plant...
I want to get practice in and I figured why not try it on the LEAST HEALTHY plant...

Im going to watch a few videos on the subject while I wait for the amazing replies everyone is about to send me!!

***EDIT*** (like 2 hours later hahahaha)
OK so I went and watched like 23 videos on TOPPING, FIMING & SUPER-CROPPING and Im even leaning toward doing all three plants...
I have NEWBIE nerves though and I dont wanna screw them up LoL...

If I were to do it I think I would go with TOPPING...It seems the easiest and most fool proof way to keep the plants bushy and TOP-full if you will...

THOUGHTS PLEASE !!!!! :adore:

:thanks:

:ganjamon:

QUICK UPDATE

Ive been checking on the plant every couple hours or so (its only a few inches from my head)
I can almost sit there and watch the "decay" if you will...
Not freaking out hahahaha just wanted to share the information with everyone...
Im all about the little things (details etc.)
Couple of pictures below...

Lemme know!!!! :thanks:

20140710_002736.jpg
20140710_002759.jpg

Back
Top Bottom