Multiple LED's running off the same plug question

Remystemple

I had my head in the veg tent a moment ago when the humidifier kicked on and i saw the LED flicker or dim i'm not sure what the word would be, and i couldn't tell if it just dimmed for a split second or if it will be dimmed a tiny amount every time the humidifier is running.

It got me thinking about my flower tent. I have 4 LEDs running from 1 plug in. I'm wondering if they might be running lower because of this. I've pretty much convinced myself to run 2 from one plug and plug 2 into another outlet, not only that, i'll plug it in to a power source from an completely different power supply or breaker whatever you call it lol.

anyone know if this is a thing? as far as i know actual watts coming from the one outlet is around 950.

That 950w or 8.5 Amps from the one outlet. A fuse or breaker often feeds more than one receptacle or outlet. You would be well served to move the humidifier to another receptacle on another breaker or fuse. Electrical and electronic devices have what's called an inrush current when they are turned on. This can be ten or more times the running current. This inrush current to the humidifier is what's causing the flicker by your lights.

That 950w or 8.5 Amps from the one outlet. A fuse or breaker often feeds more than one receptacle or outlet. You would be well served to move the humidifier to another receptacle on another breaker or fuse. Electrical and electronic devices have what's called an inrush current when they are turned on. This can be ten or more times the running current. This inrush current to the humidifier is what's causing the flicker by your lights.

awesome. gonna do that now. thank you.

Old Salt gave you some good advice. I'l just add that you might want to invest in a kill-a-watt meter to see what your drawing. They're very useful and have many applications that are helpful. Last area you want to cut corners, or take chances is your electrical.

I highly recommend that all receptacles for a grow op be changed to a a GFI (Ground Fault Interrupter) for safety. These are the same as used in bathrooms and other damp areas and are low cost items (~$20 CAD).

I highly recommend that all receptacles for a grow op be changed to a a GFI (Ground Fault Interrupter) for safety. These are the same as used in bathrooms and other damp areas and are low cost items (~$20 CAD).

that's good to know. i have many outlets available to me. gonna take a trip to the hardware store for these things.

This is why I keep a fire extinguisher in the grow room... I tend to push the limits of these things too :love:

my main worry is that i want to make sure each light is getting enough juice to run at it's full capacity. some days i feel like it should be brighter in the tent than it is lol.

Yes, sir. Very solid advice.

I personally don’t have gfi in my room but I wired it up myself, using new 12/2 romex wiring, and outlets rated for 20 amps, and rather than the outlets being in series I have them wired in parallel to protect the outlets from overloading, I’ve had 4 lights and an AC unit going with no issues or dimming.. although if your worried about a circuit being gfi just change out the breaker in the panel to a gfi breaker

Solid advice given.
If you're in a room, other than like the kitchen or somewhere with high energy devices chances are most the recepticals will be on the same circuit. I have the same issue in my basement so I've made a new dedicated 20amp circuit for my operations to not hog all the basements power! And the kill a watt is a great investment I agree.

Solid advice given.
If you're in a room, other than like the kitchen or somewhere with high energy devices chances are most the recepticals will be on the same circuit. I have the same issue in my basement so I've made a new dedicated 20amp circuit for my operations to not hog all the basements power! And the kill a watt is a great investment I agree.

I have a buddy that can probably do this for me.
but still more worried about each light getting all the juice it needs to run at full capacity. i think the breaker would just flip itself off instead of the lights running watts because they're all "sharing"

Absolutely. I've tripped my breaker many times. Unless you have a potentiometer you can dial up your light power, they'll take what they're rated for and if your circuit can't handle it she'll pop!

I'm still thinking about safety and will certainly talk to my buddy tomorrow about it. even thinking about just plugging it into the bathroom outlet, it's one of the ones that will shut off, then you can't figure out how to get them to work again like the ones in my kitchen LOL.

Yeah, not a bad idea. I've learned alot about electricity the last 4 months... Definitely alot to it, and not to be taken lightly!
Right at my breaker panel there was a 15amp circuit with receptical and nothing plugged into it, until the internet people plugged modem into it, so I ran a cord to that for me to use as well. Plenty of power for everyone now! Lol

i think the breaker would just flip itself off instead of the lights running watts because they're all "sharing"

Breakers and fuses take time before they open. They work on heat, so they can take many times their rating for a short time before they trip or open. This is necessary because of the inrush current required upon startup for any device. This also causes the voltage and therefore the power available on the circuit to drop momentarily. This is the flicker you see.

my main worry is that i want to make sure each light is getting enough juice to run at it's full capacity. some days i feel like it should be brighter in the tent than it is lol.

Not trying to scare you but your main concern should really be not starting an electrical fire that burns your house down. Running more power on a circuit than it’s designed to run is how people end up with grow room fires...

Not trying to scare you but your main concern should really be not starting an electrical fire that burns your house down. Running more power on a circuit than it’s designed to run is how people end up with grow room fires...

I talked to my buddy about it told him i was pulling about 1k watts he said I could pull even more but he's coming with some electrical testing stuff to double check for me.

I talked to my buddy about it told him i was pulling about 1k watts he said I could pull even more but he's coming with some electrical testing stuff to double check for me.

Yea if you’re only pulling 1k watts you should be fine a 15amp breaker is good for around 1800w. Still glad to hear you’re getting it checked out just to make sure it’s not something to play around with :passitleft:

Back
Top Bottom