Multiple Sclerosis Patients Have A Friend In Cannabis

Katelyn Baker

Typically, the way it goes with acute ailments and injuries is your doctor targets the problem, diagnoses it, and then prescribes a way to take care of it. The condition hopefully disappears after you've completed the therapy, and that's that.

But what if the problem is your own body fighting itself? What happens when there's no conclusive cause or cure anywhere in sight? Things can get scary when you begin to realize that the only option for coping with your incurable condition is a daily handful of prescription drugs that can't relieve your symptoms entirely. Unfortunately, this has been the reality for multiple sclerosis (MS) patients for a long time.

MS is a condition that affects the central nervous system, which comprises the brain and spinal cord. White blood cells, which are tasked with keeping the body safe from micro-organisms, lose their ability to target a threat accurately. Instead, they attack healthy parts of the body, causing serious problems - especially when the target is the nerves.

You've got your nerves

420MAG_SEPT2016_ARTICLE2_PIC1.jpg

Your central nervous system is a network of receivers that process information and pass along what's necessary to the rest of the body via nerve cells, or neurons. Myelin, a fatty sheath on the neuron fibers that allows nerve signals to move through the body at tremendous velocity, gets attacked by white blood cells when a person has MS. This prevents the myelin from doing its job correctly, creating scars or sclerosis (hardening) along the neuronal fiber. The body's wires become damaged, literally impeding the flow of electrical signals to and from the brain. The symptoms can range from weakness in extremities and loss of coordination to loss of vision and speech, burning pain, numbness, and paralysis. These can all be acute (short-term) or chronic (long-term), depending on the person and severity.

How can cannabis help?

420MAG_SEPT2016_ARTICLE2_PIC2.jpg

Cannabis is truly multifaceted in its range of healing. This magnificent plant has been used in medicine around the world for centuries and has now begun to a worldwide surge after shaking off some of the outdated stigma born of ignorance and bigotry. With half the United States plus the District of Columbia on board with medical cannabis, a variety of medical conditions have been approved for treatment with the herb. MS heads the list.

This has given people and families all over the world a second chance at health and happiness through more natural means that don't impede on their quality of life. No more tricky cocktails of dangerous or deadly medications, no more undesirable side effects, and, quite often, no more symptoms. Increasing numbers of physicians and patients are astonished by the results of cannabis in relieving the pain, joint inflammation, depression, anxiety, and stress that come along with MS.

People with this condition have reported experiencing bowel problems, specifically constipation. When this happens, one's appetite diminishes. Cannabis is the perfect kick in the caboose to get "the munchies" going to ensure that the patient takes in enough nutrients to stay healthy.

Handpicked just for you

420MAG_SEPT2016_ARTICLE2_PIC3.jpg

There are now many options available for those who can legally obtain the medicine they need to treat MS. Dispensaries all over the country carry all different kinds of strains that one can choose from to fit their own personal needs and preferences.

Most strains are rich in tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), which directly impacts the brain and central nervous system, markedly reducing pain and muscle spasms. A few others have been bred for their cannabidiol (CBD) content, which carries those effects as well as relieving anxiety, protecting and helping to restore nerve tissue, and reducing inflammation, with no psychoactive effects.

Finding the ideal strain for MS with just the right balance of cannabinoids may be challenging. Combining a high-CBD strain and one with more THC could prove a more suitable therapeutic approach. It's all about harm reduction. Experimenting with safe, non-lethal cannabis will do MS patients no harm.

Once the herb is chosen, it can of course be smoked or vaped for immediate relief. For maximum intensity and duration of effects, ingestion is the method of choice. Infusing the cannabinoids and other nutrients into food allows patients to medicate on their own terms, safely and discreetly.

RELATED: The world's first countertop botanical extractor, from MagicalButter.com, was designed specifically to make the infusion process automatic with the push of a button. Because who really wants to stand over a hot stove? The extractor takes the guesswork and mess out of creating herb-infused butters, oils, tinctures, and lotions. Find dozens of recipes and how-to videos, and your own extractor, at MagicalButter.com.

Here's a quick but amazing cannabis testimonial from Montel Williams, the TV host who is also a Marine Corps veteran suffering with multiple sclerosis. Share the passion!

[video=youtube;sJjvxgb0XGw]
[/video]

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Garyn Angel is an inventor, award-winning financial consultant, and CEO of MagicalButter.com, maker of the botanical extractor he invented for infusing cannabis into foods. Firmly committed to necessary law reform, Angel was named to the exclusive CNBC NEXT List of visionary global business leaders for his work on legal marijuana. He is also founder of the Cheers to Goodness Foundation, a charity that helps "medical refugees" - mainly veterans and children - who need herbal therapy when traditional treatment options have failed.

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Author: Garyn Angel
Photo Credit: Shutterstock/Shutterstock/Matthew Staver
Source: MagicalButter.com

A friend of ours about 10 years ago now, related to us her story about her son, at the time he was around 14-15 years old.
When he was born, he had a whole lot of bad cards dealt to him.

He was not expected to live more than a few days at best. Was seizing almost immediately from Epilepsy.
They were fighting all kinds of fires to keep him alive. And live he did! Not well, not normal, but he lived.
As time moved forward and his aliments keep him beat up, but he would get past another milestone, and cheat Mr.Death.

She told us he was starting to seize with his medications, so up the amounts went. The doctors kept waiting for better meds to help him.
About 2 years later, the reached a plateau, giving him more was not an option, and his quality of life went crashing down all around them.
Seizing 10-15 times a day, can not sleep, nor eat, light caused headaches, very bitter and unhappy, lashing out at everyone.

I asked her if they talked about MMJ at all.
The way she slowly turned to look me in the eyes, I knew I crossed a line for her.
She very tersely informed me, no son of her's was going to be a goddamned stoner!!
I had no idea she was so against weed!!

I shut up and let her and my wife converse, and I vacated the area.

A year later, an unknown caller sends me a message, and it's the young man's mom.
She asked me for all the information I had on MMJ, as his life was in ruins.
I sent it. I also immediately started to make some butter for them, from a hermi plant I had cut, prepared, and frozen for tinctures.
I gustimated his weight, and worked 10 grams of herm, and 3 grams of bud, into 2 sticks of butter, and into my freezer it went.

A day later she called me to talk, I picked a restaurant so she could not yell and beat on me, if she was in that mindset.
She was completely embarrassed by her scolding me before she read the material, I told her, it means nothing your a mom watching out for your child.
Then we talked, and talked and talked some more.
Then I gave her the butter, and she went home and made a batch of brownies, and using a ruler, she measured the pan to make 30 chunks of brownie for a one a day piece.
I'd love to say it was a perfect amount, but we had to work it a couple of times to find him great relief.
They use 15 grams of buds, to make 2 pans of brownies, enough for 2 months.

Now he sleeps regular, laughs, jokes with his sister, spent the night out with friends, something he never could think of.
He even found some work he walks to that hire Handicapped folks.

I got the greatest gift ever from her after we had worked this for a couple of years fine tuning it, these words:

All I ever wanted was to see my son smile and be happy, as I knew it could NEVER happen and now he smiles and jokes and loves life!! Thank you for not giving up on me.

I know nothing works for everyone, but wow, to see the change, will break your heart as you then realize, how much farther could we be if Reefer Madness would not have been unleashed on the citizens of the world, by despicable politicians.

High my 420 friends.I can attest that marijuana does help with MS symptoms. I was diagnosed in 2003 and I've just been buying marijuana from a Great friend of mine who grew marijuana to help people who needed it medically. I'm not going to go into my whole health history here but I do have MS and marijuana helps with my spasms,my pain and especially overall thinking process because having a disease that literally attacks your body is certainly a mental challenge I go thru everyday.I'm sure it is the same with anyone who has a disease they are battling. I do have a question. I finally have a dr who recommends marijuana for me but I'm not what's a good strain for MS.I've never had the pleasure to go to a dispensary yet but I will very soon and an curious what's a Great strain for MS patients? Thanks Jim

A friend of ours about 10 years ago now, related to us her story about her son, at the time he was around 14-15 years old.

He was not expected to live more than a few days at best. Was seizing almost immediately from Epilepsy.
They were fighting all kinds of fires to keep him alive. And live he did! Not well, not normal, but he lived.
As time moved forward and his aliments keep him beat up, but he would get past another milestone, and cheat Mr.Death.

She told us he was starting to seize with his medications, so up the amounts went. The doctors kept waiting for better meds to help him.
About 2 years later, the reached a plateau, giving him more was not an option, and his quality of life went crashing down all around them.
Seizing 10-15 times a day, can not sleep, nor eat, light caused headaches, very bitter and unhappy, lashing out at everyone.

The way she slowly turned to look me in the eyes, I knew I crossed a line for her.
She very tersely informed me, no son of her's was going to be a goddamned stoner!!

A year later, an unknown caller sends me a message, and it's the young man's mom.
I sent it. I also immediately started to make some butter for them, from a hermi plant I had cut, prepared, and frozen for tinctures.
I gustimated his weight, and worked 10 grams of herm, and 3 grams of bud, into 2 sticks of butter, and into my freezer it went.

A day later she called me to talk, I picked a restaurant so she could not yell and beat on me, if she was in that mindset.
She was completely embarrassed by her scolding me before she read the material, I told her, it means nothing your a mom watching out for your child.
Then I gave her the butter, and she went home and made a batch of brownies, and using a ruler, she measured the pan to make 30 chunks of brownie for a one a day piece.
I'd love to say it was a perfect amount, but we had to work it a couple of times to find him great relief.

Now he sleeps regular, laughs, jokes with his sister, spent the night out with friends, something he never could think of.

I got the greatest gift ever from her after we had worked this for a couple of years fine tuning it, these words:

All I ever wanted was to see my son smile and be happy, as I knew it could NEVER happen and now he smiles and jokes and loves life!! Thank you for not giving up on me.

I know nothing works for everyone, but wow, to see the change, will break your heart as you then realize, how much farther could we be if Reefer Madness would not have been unleashed on the citizens of the world, by despicable politicians.

What a Great story webeblzr and there many many more stories like that ,that should be told.The movie reefer madness is an absolute joke.I hate it.Keep on doing what Ur doing.Peace.Jim

Back
Top Bottom