Munki's Ebb n Flow 3 x 3 SCROG 400W HPS Grow

Very nice job and great harvest. Those buds look amazing. Enjoy the fruits of you labor, you sure have earned it. Great job again and good luck with the next....

Feeling the love ... thanks everyone. Some thoughts this morning .. :bongrip: errr, I digress....

Since I don't really know the strain I started off with on this grow so I was going to just come up with a new one. Opened the cure jars a crack but not wide open for about an hour today. They all smelled very similar, kind of pine-y (is that even a word?) and appear very similar as well. Glad I numbered them. So, I'm leaning to the idea that the two plants are the same strain but from different phenotypic mothers.

So, at least for now, I'm calling it "Munki's JGB" (Just Good Bud). I can't find a reference of it specifically being used as a Cannabis' strain name on the net so I will adopt it for now.

As to its quality, well it is what gets reached for first and it isn't just for novelty sake! ;)

Now, how about some Gumby Dammit?

Funny that you mention it, I have a 5 gallon pail of cold slurry separating out as we speak.

On another note, I did have some thought at to why my crop dried faster than expected. If you were in So Cal this past week, you know we had rain and generally cool weather, then hot days starting yesterday. Humidity levels were up outside the tent 60 - 75 % for the first few days. So, I think that these two things attributed to a quicker drying time.

1. Plain water flushes for the last 10 days.
2. Last 50 hour dark period before harvest with no water to the roots.

On point 1, the flushes allowed the plant to use what soluble salts it had stored and rinsed out the rest from the grow rocks. With lower salt levels, I believe the plant cell's would not retain as much water.

Point 2: The darkness should have had the plants open the stomata for transpiration, so more moisture loss would occur.

So, at harvest time, I was already a couple of days into the drying process at least enough to account for the moisture loss in days 6 and 7. No moisture was noted in any jar, and absolutely no mold smell anywhere.

Funny that you mention it, I have a 5 gallon pail of cold slurry separating out as we speak.

On another note, I did have some thought at to why my crop dried faster than expected. If you were in So Cal this past week, you know we had rain and generally cool weather, then hot days starting yesterday. Humidity levels were up outside the tent 60 - 75 % for the first few days. So, I think that these two things attributed to a quicker drying time.

On point 1, the flushes allowed the plant to use what soluble salts it had stored and rinsed out the rest from the grow rocks. With lower salt levels, I believe the plant cell's would not retain as much water.

Point 2: The darkness should have had the plants open the stomata for transpiration, so more moisture loss would occur.

So, at harvest time, I was already a couple of days into the drying process at least enough to account for the moisture loss in days 6 and 7. No moisture was noted in any jar, and absolutely no mold smell anywhere.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head.

munki, I am also in s. cal and all my buds in the few months have dried in at the most 5 days. I also thought that was pretty quick from what I have read but the seem to cure up nice even after the pretty quick dry.

munki, I am also in s. cal and all my buds in the few months have dried in at the most 5 days. I also thought that was pretty quick from what I have read but the seem to cure up nice even after the pretty quick dry.

Thanks for the confirmation. There are points in the process when it seems like I doing it wrong, like when it smelled all like hay for awhile. Now I know that chlorophyll is breaking down and that is what causes the smell. Correct me if I'm wrong on that anyone!

:thanks:

hey munk great job again, but i'm gonna have to disagree with you on this one.

Did you mean up to 60-75% or down to . . what was it before?
if the air is dry, it will suck the water out of the buds much faster resulting in a i little harsher smoke at first. . . but the cure should take care of that so don't worry about it. If I am reading you right, it got more humid, which means more water in the air, which means less of a gradient, means should slow the drying time.

Also, warm air can hold more water than cool air, so it too will suck up the water from the buds faster. if it got cool out round your parts, that also should slow things down.

you're def correct that one thing that may have sped up your dry time is that final 50 hours you didn't feed them anything. . . no water to uptake means it started to dry a bit earlier than you are considering. the plant still transpires in the dark and had no water to take in. was it warm and dry back then?

there might be other things that contributed to you fast dry time prob not the flush but. . . no worries, the fact that you flushed her nice means that it will cure nicely regardless. of the fast dry. :goodjob::ganjamon:

i usually dry in 5-7 days depending on the season.

The surprise was that it dried so fast considering the high RH. RH is relative to temperature so when I see say a 70% RH at a given temperature, it tells me the atmosphere is presently 70 percent full of water at current temp. If the temp dropped but no moisture was either removed or added, the RH would go up until it hit 100% which is called the dew point. I know you may know all this but I'm just putting it out there.

I was looking for reasons as to why the plants dried faster than I thought they would considering the RH and temps I experienced during the drying process. I'll know more later in the cure but your words of confidence help. Thanks.

The surprise was that it dried so fast considering the high RH. RH is relative to temperature so when I see say a 70% RH at a given temperature, it tells me the atmosphere is presently 70 percent full of water at current temp. If the temp dropped but no moisture was either removed or added, the RH would go up until it hit 100% which is called the dew point. I know you may know all this but I'm just putting it out there.

I was looking for reasons as to why the plants dried faster than I thought they would considering the RH and temps I experienced during the drying process. I'll know more later in the cure but your words of confidence help. Thanks.

ok ok, sorry munki, it sounded like you meant that you thought the reason it dried so fast was because of high RH and low Temps, which is backwards. that should have made it take longer.

little miscommunication.

nice harvest man. did you get a wet weight?

No wet weight taken. Didn't want to mess with that during harvest as there is enough going on that day already. From a guideline I read, weed is sufficiently dry when it is at 15% of the moisture content of fresh cut so if I divide the dry weight by the 15 percent, I should get the wet weight.

224.72 grams dry / .15 = 1518.13 grams which is about 3.3 pounds then.

Back
Top Bottom