Murphy Seeks Possible Insurance Coverage For Medical Marijuana

Robert Celt

Since sales were launched 18 months ago, Connecticut's medical marijuana program has registered nearly 7,000 additional patients, added six new conditions and will soon open three more dispensaries.

But Monday, U.S. Sen. Chris Murphy, D-Conn., said federal drug and tax laws must be changed if the medical marijuana industry is to truly thrive in Connecticut.

"The danger is that medical marijuana is not going to be a viable business or a viable option for patients unless the federal government changes its laws," Murphy said, during a tour of one of the state's six dispensaries, Prime Wellness of Connecticut, in South Windsor.

Murphy said he is sponsoring legislation that would change the classification of marijuana to a substance that has medical value. The change would place marijuana in the same category as opioid pain medicines such as morphine and oxycodone.

"Marijuana, like any other drug, has its limits," Murphy said. "But it is less dangerous than a whole host of drugs already available."

The change, he said, would open up the potential for more research funding and the possibility of coverage under medical insurance.

"The barrier is often not having money out of pocket to pay for it," Murphy said.

Critics of the expansion of medical marijuana programs say there isn't enough research on the long-term effects of treatments.

During the visit, Murphy talked with a dozen medical-marijuana patients who gathered for the event. All of them told stories of how medical marijuana had eased their conditions.

"This is the only thing that helps me with my glaucoma," Gary Pozzato, of Vernon, said. "It's the medical marijuana that is helping me keep my sight."

Andrew Palmer, of Coventry, said he was diagnosed with Crohn's disease when he was 12. Now 27, Palmer said he had been through every possible treatment, every medicine and several surgeries.

"What the program has enabled me to do is to eat, sleep and go about my day normally," Palmer said.

Palmer said he still experiences discomfort, but medical marijuana has been more effective than any other medication he has tried.

Murphy said the legislation is designed to nudge two federal agencies – the Drug Enforcement Administration and the Food and Drug Administration – that are already considering such a change.

Murphy said he could not predict when a change might take place.

Prime Wellness is one of the state's six medical marijuana dispensaries, a number that will expand to nine later this year. Prime Wellness has seen its customer base rise from 200 when sales began in September 2014 to about 1,300 as of Monday, said its pharmacist, Al Domeika.

Murphy said separate legislation would treat medical marijuana businesses more equally under the federal tax code, allowing them to deduct normal business expenses.

Last month, Connecticut lawmakers voted to add six new conditions qualifying for medical marijuana – ALS, or Lou Gehrig's disease; ulcerative colitis; sickle cell disease; severe psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis; complex regional pain syndrome; and post-laminectomy syndrome with chronic radoculopathy, which is recurring back pain after surgery.

That brings the number of conditions to 17. The original 11 were: cancer, glaucoma, HIV or AIDS, Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis, intractable spasticity related to nerve damage in the spinal cord, epilepsy, cachexia, wasting syndrome, Crohn's and post-traumatic stress disorder.

The issue, however, continues to resurface at the Capitol, with lawmakers considering expanding use of medical marijuana to those under the age of 18. Currently, to register, a person must be over that age.

The state now has 9,300 patients registered for the medical marijuana program.

Marijuana-Health-Insurance.png

News Moderator: Robert Celt 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Murphy Seeks Possible Insurance Coverage For Medical Marijuana
Author: Kenneth R. Gosselin
Photo Credit: None found

Back
Top Bottom