Music for the garden

Aussiegirl

:welcome: Hello lovelies I'm hoping to hear from as many of you ♡fantastic♡ gardeners, hydro/soil or just those with a pixel fixation. :high-five: Anyone who like me plays music to your plants for whatever reason and letting myself and our awesome community here know what results you have gotten. I'll start with a few options to make it a bit easier for those that may be a lil sumthin sumthin atm. :passitleft:

1. Type of music played and how loud or soft ?
2. For how long do you play it daily 24hrs or less ?
3. Any noticeable changes ?
4. Do you talk to your plants ? Swearing counts. :battingeyelashes:

Personally I play in memory of my late father :love:Miss you dad:love: his old favorite composer Henry Mancini.
Songs are on a 24hr loop and go as follows, Moon river, Days of wine and roses, Baby elephant walk and the theme from "Peter Gunn" I have the music on fairly low volume so the music can just barely be heard through a wall at night and the speaker is right at the plant (2 inches away) to encourage sound wave penetration.

I really look forward to people sharing their experiences here, have fun and be kind. Cheeky buggers and fun are welcome.:love::thanks:

If you have a 2,000-watt HiFi setup with lots of massive (and massively heavy) woofers, than the vibrations produced might effect your plants (whether positively or negatively, I couldn't even guess). They'll certainly effect your house, lol (been there, done that, got yelled at, paid for the replacement ceiling material in the basement underneath :rolleyes: ).

If you sing along to your music, do so in the grow room, and run a sealed grow... Then the additional CO₂ has the potential to be beneficial (assuming that both your grow room temperature and light level are high enough to make use of additional CO₂ in the first place, of course).

Otherwise... No, not so much. On the other hand, I figure that "If it feels good, do it!" is reason enough to do a thing. At least until the cops break down the door, LMFAO. . . .

Haha I think maybe not so loud might be ideal, noone wants a visit from the Smurfs..:ciao:

I have seen some great info on the bonus of sound waves etc while growing, check these out written and researched by people much smarter then myself.

The Buds Are Alive -- With The Sound Of Music | Cannabis Now
And
Does Music Stimulate Your Cannabis Plants? - RQS Blog

So far my babygirl is responding very well to my setup. I can't comment on the music having any affect untill after I complete this grow (using music) then take a clone and run the exact same again with no music at all. Further down the road I'll be doing a side by side (if I can sound proof 1 plant well enough) 2 clones same everything except the music, the only problem is I only have one room to grow in :( so sound leakage into my control plant might be a problem.. Hmm :hmmmm:

Thanks for popping in TorturedSoul.:high-five:

noone wants a visit from the Smurfs..:ciao:

IDK, lol. When I start seeing cartoon people, I go back and request a second serving ;) .

check these out written and researched by people much smarter then myself.

Interesting. Thank you for the reading material; I'll have to check them out.

Err... You wouldn't have links to any peer-reviewed articles in mainstream botany publications, by chance, would you?

So far my babygirl is responding very well to my setup. I can't comment on the music having any affect untill after I complete this grow (using music) then take a clone and run the exact same again with no music at all. Further down the road I'll be doing a side by side (if I can sound proof 1 plant well enough) 2 clones same everything except the music, the only problem is I only have one room to grow in :( so sound leakage into my control plant might be a problem.. Hmm

Scientific method, eh? Kudos...

Thanks for popping in TorturedSoul.

Thanks for giving me something new to think about. I find myself needing a distraction.

I want to study this shit. I'm a sound engineer and i'd love to try and change the way plants interact with sonic application
:theband: You totally should look into it, being a sound engineer you could really bring a nice fresh perspective to the topic.

The grow tent in my work area has been getting a steady stream of Harold Budd, coincidentally, which I’ve had in a long playlist 24x7 ambient. It’s more for me, but it can’t hurt the buds too :D

Good luck on your research, I’m sure people will be interested.
:thanks: The music I chose to play is great for my plants so far it seems and it triggers fond memories of my childhood, music is funny in that way. I could play my babygirl any old music, but why not play her something we can both enjoy. :yahoo:

Cant say anything as to affects on plants but if you want a change of pace I suggest drake-nice for what. Its a very summery tune and got a nice bit of bass in it so Im sure the plants would enjoy it :)
Thanks for the suggestions all are welcome :ciao: I do like Drake :goodluck:l

Lol some very suggestive tunes there Purps.:rofl: I'd prefer some smexy blokes in the vid but eh boys will be boys. :welldone:It is a nice track though I'd be worried about the effects it would have on my babygirl, she might get a lil to excited and hermie, trying to get frisky and pollinate herself.:yahoo: lol..

Depends what finish product you want, as to the music you should play to your plants..
This will give some nice variation to a tent full of indica

Last year biologists found that some plants will grow toward the sound of water underground. Sound has a range of effects on all organisms, at the cellular and system level. Even yeasts and mites are sensitive; i recall seeing some research about pest control with sound. This includes sounds in the normal world intensity, not just blasting 95db at them.

The subject is getting more serious scientific research and understanding, there are many articles available. If you want some researched papers, for example,
I can't put a link here, google "Beyond chemical triggers: Evidence for sound-evoked physiological reactions on plants" Jihye et al. It is peer-reviewed and published on the nih.gov website. It will give you a good list of references.

Here's a link to the paper, good survey with many references (peer-reviewed journals) for @TorturedSoul

Beyond Chemical Triggers: Evidence for Sound-Evoked Physiological Reactions in Plants

That paper also lists various effects of sound on plants as observed by the numerous studies that it refers to.
Specifically it describes these measured effects and discusses the underlying bio-chemical mechanism
1. Enhancement of seed germination and plant growth
2. Elicits defense responses against pathogens
3. Elicits stress tolerance
4. Delays ripening and increases shelf life
5. Enhances photosynthesis

They have a good survey of results from different studies, different plant species (no cannabis I think) so that goes with @Jackalope 's idea of music for strains, maybe. These varied in frequency, most were subsonic. some very loud (100db) down to soft 70db and below.

Here's a link to the paper, good survey with many references (peer-reviewed journals) for @TorturedSoul

Beyond Chemical Triggers: Evidence for Sound-Evoked Physiological Reactions in Plants

That paper also lists various effects of sound on plants as observed by the numerous studies that it refers to.
Specifically it describes these measured effects and discusses the underlying bio-chemical mechanism
1. Enhancement of seed germination and plant growth
2. Elicits defense responses against pathogens
3. Elicits stress tolerance
4. Delays ripening and increases shelf life
5. Enhances photosynthesis

They have a good survey of results from different studies, different plant species (no cannabis I think) so that goes with @Jackalope 's idea of music for strains, maybe. These varied in frequency, most were subsonic. some very loud (100db) down to soft 70db and below.

Wow! Boatshoe :thanks:so much for that info, fantastic insight into this topic. I've seen sound work as a pest control first hand with a unit I bought locally against cockroaches, electric pulses and certain frequencies make them run away from my house and the unit sends the signal to anywhere in the house's power grid.

As far as the music varying from plant to plant and some liking diff types I totally agree. Look at it this way, we know diff strains have diff thc% coloration, smell etc because they have varying genetic traits. Just like we do as humans none of us are the same 100% in our likes and dislikes.. Just a thought :hmmmm::circle-of-love:

While the world has had some great thinks come from scientific research. Just because the did a study on it and posted results. Still doesn't mean that is a improvement. There has also been lots of useless scientific research.
1 thing I have noticed in growing is simple is better. I try to stick with basic nutrients lots of quality light and great soil. which supply most of my nutrients. There are great inert soils for those that choose to feed only what the want as nutrients. More plants are killed every year by people trying to give them what they think they need. Under fed plants may not grow well but most don't die.

Hello! Great read for sure however I'm skeptical of all. There have been some trying to find a link between sound and plants for a while, many studies have been carried out in various ways changing the volume, frequency and duration. I've heard many people speculate it's not just the music, but perhaps a reaction to the relaxed state the music put you, the grower, into.

Then again people have said talking to your plants helps. But they don't have ears you say?

Interestingly it seems plants can remember
Can a Plant Remember? This One Seems to—Here’s the Evidence

-When I'm around the garden I play mostly classical, through a 1.2Watt bluetooth speaker
-This can be from 2-4 hours a day
-I can't say for sure any improvement as I don't have a control to compare to
-I don't name my plants, but I do tell them how fat they look daily in a happy tone :)

Hello! Great read for sure however I'm skeptical of all. There have been some trying to find a link between sound and plants for a while, many studies have been carried out in various ways changing the volume, frequency and duration. I've heard many people speculate it's not just the music, but perhaps a reaction to the relaxed state the music put you, the grower, into.

Then again people have said talking to your plants helps. But they don't have ears you say?

Interestingly it seems plants can remember
Can a Plant Remember? This One Seems to—Here’s the Evidence

-When I'm around the garden I play mostly classical, through a 1.2Watt bluetooth speaker
-This can be from 2-4 hours a day
-I can't say for sure any improvement as I don't have a control to compare to
-I don't name my plants, but I do tell them how fat they look daily in a happy tone :)

Had to laugh at the fat in a happy tone comment... Ooo if girls had arms they'd be throwing things at you. :rofl:

I've read that talking and getting personal eg naming your plants can help also. I don't do the talking or naming etc, only the music. Tbh I don't want to get to friendly and fru fru lovie dovey with my babygirl just to cut her (topping - fimming) and defoliating, that would kinda be sending mixed msgs. :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom