MVortex's Perpetual Thread For A 4x4 Tent & RDWC

Looks like one of the two Strawberry Lemonade's will be up through the surface today, unless all I'm seeing is the tap doing it's up/down thing before the top pops. We'll see, but we're getting pretty close.

I did a small test last night with the heater in the tent. It's backed up between the two buckets on the left side, but facing the wall. Not straight at the wall, but angled slightly towards the back so the warm air misses the back bucket and it drifts into that void. After 3 hours, it hadn't raised the temp of the water one bit.

With the heater on low (375w), the tent was able to maintain 72F easily enough. The light was also on at 35% and 18" off the top of the buckets, which is where I'm going to start the seedlings when they first enter. Will probably keep that distance, and ramp it up a tick every day or two until it's flip time.

Yep, looks like it should be popped up today.

Was wondering what I was going to do with my seedling station. I had it in the basement bathroom (it was nice and warm in there, so made it easier for the heat mat) and no real place to put it while the seeds went through their first few days of life.

Didn't really want to do any special rigging to their soon to be home, as it's ready for the seedlings as is, and I'm good with that. Don't really have a seedling spot, since I lent out my spare 4x2 tent. Long story short, I ended up moving the pots in the lab tent just enough to squeeze the seedling box in there. Now, no problem. :)

And she's going to have a dream about a blue friend, too.

Yep, got a blue dream neck and neck with the strawberry lemonade in the race for first to pop. Too bad I got stuff to do tonight, and won't know who wins. :laugh:

Just need a GDP and a Durban Poison and we can take a breath for a second. :D

Well well well...

came home to a nice surprise.

First, the one fully out first is Blue Dream #1. Strawberry Lemonade #2 is just an hour or so behind, so it was a close race.

Second, Blue Dream #2 and Strawberry Lemonade #1 will have broke by morning. So that's good.

That's all for tonight, and I'm quite alright (alright alright) with that.

Crossing fingers for GDP/DP action tomorrow. Figure a few days in the seedling box once all popped, then into the drink with 'em.

And this morning, all 4 of those fully have their heads out of the rooters.

We also have Durban Poison #2 that has made it evident she is awake and about to pop her head up as well.

C'mon GDP!

Pretty sure when I checked in a little bit ago I saw a trace of white on the rooter for GDP #1.

We shall see what comes in the next few hours. :D

Yep, GDP #1 is just gettin ready to rise. If it's not above by wake up time in the morning, it will be by lunch.

No sign from GDP #2 or DP #1, but I'm sure they will anyway.

Tinkered around a bit and got the ventilation rigged up. Gave it (2) 6" passive intakes, and one 6" exhaust via an AC Infinity Cloudline S6. The output isn't filtered, obviously not necessary yet.

I did end up running the exhaust out of the bottom right duct. One intake is on the left side at the top, and then on the back right in the ceiling. Both external ends are nice and wrapped up with cheesecloth, so suck it, bugs. I will need to make some sort of light trap for them. It's not a lot, but there is a little bit of reflection going on from the inside out. I'm guessing the opposite is also true, but probably not to the same extent.

One thing I am a bit disappointed with is the amount of light leaks spots on the gorilla. They're better than this, or damn well should be. Will have to pick up some more seam sealer that's made for camping tents to get it all. Tape isn't going to cut it, and would take $50 in tape. Plus even the good stuff sticks like shit to tents, so whatev.

GDP inching closer, but not quite up yet. She will be above the plane today at some point though.

Well, still waiting on GDP #2, and Durban Poison #1, but the other 6 are all up. Both Blue Dream and Strawberry Lemonade are up, plus one each of the above.

Also, aside from the freshly popped GDP, they all have a tap root out the bottom of the plugs already.

Looks like I better get my shit together and get the water flushed, new water doctored up, and get them baby girls in their home.

Guess I could just use the water in there, it was fresh and hasn't been doing anything. Take a few gallons out, super juice it with the nute dose, and let it circ overnight.

Getting there!

Spent the last 1.5 hours doing a partial drain of about 60%, added back water to the 45 gal mark, and now have added nutes.

Nutrients are:

- Pro-tekt (silica) at 2ml/gal (90ml total)
- CalMag at 2ml/gal (90ml total)
- Mega Crop @2g/gal (90g total)

Also have added 2ml/gal (90 total) of pH down, which must still be mixing in. That should have put the pH in the 5.7-5.9 range, and it’s sitting at 6.5 right now.

Base ppm (700 range) was 340,nutes combined should tack on 550ish, so ppm should be about 890 once it’s all done. Right now ppm is 970, and pH is still 6.5.

The ppm is still dropping, albeit at a really slow rate now. Maybe 10points every 3-4 minutes.

So everything looks to be mixing up, and now getting to the slower part where it’s mostly mixed but not quite.

I will probably need to add another shot of pH down at .75ml/gal, but going to let it sit and mix overnight first. If the ppm is still high in the morning, I’ll take a little water out and replace with fresh to get it down to the expected range.

Water temp is spot on at 68F, so that’s good. The nute water was a hair warm and temp was as high as 71 when mixing in, so my guess is it will be 66-68 by morning.

167600F2-EA52-4C36-9CD5-7CE6591C200E.jpeg

Getting there!

Spent the last 1.5 hours doing a partial drain of about 60%, added back water to the 45 gal mark, and now have added nutes.

Nutrients are:

Also have added 2ml/gal (90 total) of pH down, which must still be mixing in. That should have put the pH in the 5.7-5.9 range, and it’s sitting at 6.5 right now.

Base ppm (700 range) was 340,nutes combined should tack on 550ish, so ppm should be about 890 once it’s all done. Right now ppm is 970, and pH is still 6.5.

The ppm is still dropping, albeit at a really slow rate now. Maybe 10points every 3-4 minutes.

So everything looks to be mixing up, and now getting to the slower part where it’s mostly mixed but not quite.

I will probably need to add another shot of pH down at .75ml/gal, but going to let it sit and mix overnight first. If the ppm is still high in the morning, I’ll take a little water out and replace with fresh to get it down to the expected range.

Water temp is spot on at 68F, so that’s good. The nute water was a hair warm and temp was as high as 71 when mixing in, so my guess is it will be 66-68 by morning.

Hey bro, just checking in with a couple thoughts.

Your setup looks like it's coming right along. Forgive me if you know all this but let me say from my own experience, PH is one of the most important things but you only need to keep it in an average range every day, it ALWAYS fluctuates, and is always gradually trending up or down for many reasons. Usually adding water will raise the PH because most tap water has a PH of between 7 and 8. You want 5.8 or at least have 5.8 in the center of the range of fluctuation so it averages about that.

I use a small shot of PH DOWN and just wait a couple minutes between them to allow it to mix completely and the reading to become accurate. A little goes a long way so don't overcorrect. Honestly I find the best method is just adding a little bit at a time until the reading stabilizes where you want it, it doesn't really help to try to measure how much you will need. Nutrients yes but PH up or down, not so much, correcting PH is more of a by-hand thing.

The fun starts soon. Looking good. Keep it up.

Peace, Hyena

Welcome to the dribble lounge Hyena. Glad you've stopped by to have a laugh.

You're right, pH is the important part, and I'm all up in its business. One thing I've noticed so far is that it's takes about a double dose to move it what a single dose should. That's just my base water being a bitch, so nothing unusual. So where it should take 1ml/gal to bring it down a full point, it seems to take me 2ml-2.5ml per gallon to do that same thing.

Going to get the pH set here in a few minutes, and will be popping the babies in there this afternoon.

Getting there!

Nutrients are:

Ok , I'm not even medicated yet but disclaimer it's only 630 in the morning . Why are you adding nutes ?Did I miss your plants ? Couple of things from my experience . I don't monitor ppm or ec. I watch TDS and respond to the plants needs being mindful that different nutes are needed during different stages of the plants life ...I think I get this from maintaining a hot tub Hahahaha
when the total dissolved solids creep up near 900 it is always time for a water change .
less , is more ..had to edit this hahaha ..the plants will tell you want they need . You just dropped beans right ? Depending on the water you are using the only thing they might need is a tiny dose of Cali mag .in a week..
But i could be doing it wrong ?
Can't wait to see how this turns out :)

Coffee. Have some. :D

Yes, you missed the plants. We're halfway into the first week, and they're anxious to get into their home already with tails shooting out of their rooters. :)

So to catch you up on what's going on, I'm setting it all up cozy like for them to move in later today. Adding in the initial amount of food as per manufacturers direction for the first 2 weeks of life (2g/gal), and now doing the pH-ing of the water.

I just added another round of pH down which is now circulating in the system as we speak. This should get the pH into range, but it may need just a tick more to get it to a good starting level so it can naturally drift up.

Coffee is in !
I am telling you . The only thing you need until they get a second set of leaves is Cali mag if you are using ro water and ph’d water . You are wasting nutes and might burn them . Good luck!

I switched to ppm to take a pic for you.. your ppm are higher for beans , than mine is for a healthy almost 2 month old plant that getting flipped this weekend ... clear as mud ? Namaste ! ❤️

Attachments

• 0C8484C6-314A-4D98-B81A-162D4945CD8F.jpeg
    0C8484C6-314A-4D98-B81A-162D4945CD8F.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 28
  • D0A43843-D4C1-47D0-824C-D690E7483202.jpeg
    D0A43843-D4C1-47D0-824C-D690E7483202.jpeg
    495 KB · Views: 31
Now for a little rambling, shall we? What would the thread be without my mind wandering a bit? :laugh:

It's been weighing on my mind that I don't really have a great setup for seedlings to plug into hydro. I have good stuff overall, but it's missing that real first week or two option where you can really let them be babies before dropping them into their big girl home. (Yes, I know some people will even sprout in their RDWC settup, so it's not an absolute requirement.)

I do have a standard seedling station. Basically a tray, it holds water, has a 2-level dome with air vents. Along with seedling mats and controllers, etc. I also have a tray for the inside with a wicking mat. It works, works well, but once they're up, they're up. It really is better suited to a soil/soilless medium than hydro. It still works, but it's a weaker point and could be better.

What I would like to do is set up a better deal. Something modular that can adapt to a few different types of operation.

My original idea was making an aeroponic setup from a 27gal tote. Nothing fancy, I have 80% of the parts to do it. Just need the 1/2" pvc fittings, a few more spray heads, and a 10-24 tap bit. I have the tote, and two lids.

So this would have been a setup where I could have done two things with it:

a) aeroponic setup
b) small flood/drain setup

Both great for baby plants, dirt or hydro covered, and could change it up to either type by swapping the lid and plugging the pump into a new pipe. I could have even fixed the pump part with a couple valves and made it easier. Basically just changing the lid, inserting/removing the supply pipe for the flood lid, and setting the timer for the pump to either constant or schedule. The flood lid would have a tray on top of it, not actually using the lid to flood.

System would hold about 15 gallons of water, great for baby plants.

There is a few issues with that, though. First, the number of net pots the lid would successfully hold. I would prefer for that to use the same size that plugs into my RDWC setup. That being the case, I would want 8 total, and the lid on a 27gal tote just won't allow it. It would do 6, but that might even be pushing its limit.

I could correct this by using smaller net pots, but I really don't want to mess with having to meticulously get establishing roots through a new net pot. It can be done, but anytime you mess with young roots (or roots in general) it makes me nervous. So many bad things can happen from the slightest miscalculation or error.

So then I got to digging around, and low and behold, I may have found (and mentioned already a page or so ago) what may be something that is right up my alley.

What specifically?

It's from Current Culture, and it's the UC solo pro module.

It's a 35gal capacity module, that is 37" x 26" with a 16" height. And they just happen to make several different lids for it. One of those lids just happens to hold (8) of their 5.5" net pots. Bingo!

They also have other lids ranging from blank with no holes; to 1, 4, or 6 holes for 8" net pots; and 8 or 11 holes for 5.5" net pots.

So what could be done with something like this?

Whatever I wanted to do, effectively. If the lid isn't set up like I would want, I can get a blank one and drill it. I can start with an 8-hole lid, and (2) blanks. That would give me 3 options. Obviously the 8-hole setup I was after, plus with the two blanks I can set it up for the flood/drain, and the second blank I can drill for a bunch of 3" net pots for something like clones.

The downside is that it isn't a cheap setup. A single module MSRP is $499. Honestly, that's a joke for a tub, lid, and air pump.

However, I can buy the parts individually for half that. Not perfect world, and not DIY-level cheap. However, one thing I can say from first hand experience is that it is definitely high quality, and would last significantly longer than a DIY setup. The lids are solid AF, and built to last. Not quite a justification for the price tag, but certainly a reason why it has a bigger one.

So I could set this up in a multitude of ways without much effort. Aeroponic, DWC, flood/drain, etc. If I really wanted to, I could make a 2-hole lid and do two full plants in it, although I probably wouldn't, but I could.

I can build a basic stand/cabinet for this, save some back strain, and be in pretty good shape I think. For the flood/drain setup, since all the lids are the same price, I could grab a single hole lid which the plumbing would run through. It would be way bigger than needed, but I can add a gasket. That hole though would serve as a backup. For? Well, if the bulkhead/grommet for the pipes were to leak or drip, there ya go. It drips right back through the big hole in the lid and into the res. Crisis averted.

So there's my rambling thought for the moment. Not something I'm going to do today, but in the next couple of months it may be something on the radar after more thought and research. :)

Now for a little rambling, shall we? What would the thread be without my mind wandering a bit? :laugh:

It's been weighing on my mind that I don't really have a great setup for seedlings to plug into hydro. I have good stuff overall, but it's missing that real first week or two option where you can really let them be babies before dropping them into their big girl home. (Yes, I know some people will even sprout in their RDWC settup, so it's not an absolute requirement.)

I do have a standard seedling station. Basically a tray, it holds water, has a 2-level dome with air vents. Along with seedling mats and controllers, etc. I also have a tray for the inside with a wicking mat. It works, works well, but once they're up, they're up. It really is better suited to a soil/soilless medium than hydro. It still works, but it's a weaker point and could be better.

What I would like to do is set up a better deal. Something modular that can adapt to a few different types of operation.

My original idea was making an aeroponic setup from a 27gal tote. Nothing fancy, I have 80% of the parts to do it. Just need the 1/2" pvc fittings, a few more spray heads, and a 10-24 tap bit. I have the tote, and two lids.

So this would have been a setup where I could have done two things with it:

a) aeroponic setup
b) small flood/drain setup

Both great for baby plants, dirt or hydro covered, and could change it up to either type by swapping the lid and plugging the pump into a new pipe. I could have even fixed the pump part with a couple valves and made it easier. Basically just changing the lid, inserting/removing the supply pipe for the flood lid, and setting the timer for the pump to either constant or schedule. The flood lid would have a tray on top of it, not actually using the lid to flood.

System would hold about 15 gallons of water, great for baby plants.

There is a few issues with that, though. First, the number of net pots the lid would successfully hold. I would prefer for that to use the same size that plugs into my RDWC setup. That being the case, I would want 8 total, and the lid on a 27gal tote just won't allow it. It would do 6, but that might even be pushing its limit.

I could correct this by using smaller net pots, but I really don't want to mess with having to meticulously get establishing roots through a new net pot. It can be done, but anytime you mess with young roots (or roots in general) it makes me nervous. So many bad things can happen from the slightest miscalculation or error.

So then I got to digging around, and low and behold, I may have found (and mentioned already a page or so ago) what may be something that is right up my alley.

What specifically?

It's from Current Culture, and it's the UC solo pro module.

It's a 35gal capacity module, that is 37" x 26" with a 16" height. And they just happen to make several different lids for it. One of those lids just happens to hold (8) of their 5.5" net pots. Bingo!

They also have other lids ranging from blank with no holes; to 1, 4, or 6 holes for 8" net pots; and 8 or 11 holes for 5.5" net pots.

So what could be done with something like this?

Whatever I wanted to do, effectively. If the lid isn't set up like I would want, I can get a blank one and drill it. I can start with an 8-hole lid, and (2) blanks. That would give me 3 options. Obviously the 8-hole setup I was after, plus with the two blanks I can set it up for the flood/drain, and the second blank I can drill for a bunch of 3" net pots for something like clones.

The downside is that it isn't a cheap setup. A single module MSRP is $499. Honestly, that's a joke for a tub, lid, and air pump.

However, I can buy the parts individually for half that. Not perfect world, and not DIY-level cheap. However, one thing I can say from first hand experience is that it is definitely high quality, and would last significantly longer than a DIY setup. The lids are solid AF, and built to last. Not quite a justification for the price tag, but certainly a reason why it has a bigger one.

So I could set this up in a multitude of ways without much effort. Aeroponic, DWC, flood/drain, etc. If I really wanted to, I could make a 2-hole lid and do two full plants in it, although I probably wouldn't, but I could.

I can build a basic stand/cabinet for this, save some back strain, and be in pretty good shape I think. For the flood/drain setup, since all the lids are the same price, I could grab a single hole lid which the plumbing would run through. It would be way bigger than needed, but I can add a gasket. That hole though would serve as a backup. For? Well, if the bulkhead/grommet for the pipes were to leak or drip, there ya go. It drips right back through the big hole in the lid and into the res. Crisis averted.

So there's my rambling thought for the moment. Not something I'm going to do today, but in the next couple of months it may be something on the radar after more thought and research. :)
Mate have you seen @KCCO 77 ’s setup with his flood and drain table ? I am with you I used to hate dropping my tiny little seedlings into the big boy system. He seems to veg in the flood and drain and then switch to the big system just for flower. Plants really seem to love it, no messing with roots in net pots either.

Coffee is in !
I am telling you . The only thing you need until they get a second set of leaves is Cali mag if you are using ro water and ph’d water . You are wasting nutes and might burn them . Good luck!

I switched to ppm to take a pic for you.. your ppm are higher for beans , than mine is for a healthy almost 2 month old plant that getting flipped this weekend ... clear as mud ? Namaste ! ❤

If I were using any other nutrient line, I would agree. They're drinking 1g/gal of this same mixture right now. It seems high on the ppm scale, and I agree it gave me a double take too.

However, breaking it down, it really isn't as much as it seems. The base water is 340, so with the nutes, silica supplement, and the cal mag to balance the silica, the nute ppm isn't so bad.

I would have freaked over readings like this a couple months ago, but I've watched the plants take this mix in my other tent and thrive.

It doesn't mean something can't happen, there is always a chance, but for whatever reason this nute line likes to read a bit high.

However, you make a very good point and I fully understand and thank you for your concern. I've had that same concern since last night, and would be dishonest not to say I had. I also realize I've been feeding this nute line as it's supposed to be (without seeing the ppm) and things have done well too. I can't really put my finger on it, but it works.

Mate have you seen @KCCO 77 ’s setup with his flood and drain table ? I am with you I used to hate dropping my tiny little seedlings into the big boy system. He seems to veg in the flood and drain and then switch to the big system just for flower. Plants really seem to love it, no messing with roots in net pots either.

I haven't yet, no. I did see someone with an aeroponic starter setup a week or so ago, which initially got my wheels spinning.

Back
Top Bottom