MVortex's Perpetual Thread For A 4x4 Tent & RDWC

Wow. 160ml of pH down and it's still 6.4.

Gave it another 80ml dose, now waiting again for it to mix up.

2oz in the 8oz left.

I see a hydro store trip in my immediate future.

That last dose knocked it down to 5.6, and there is about 2oz left in the 8oz bottle. As a note, we're working with 45 total gallons.

I couldn't tell you the exact strength off the top of my head without digging it up. It's a bottle of Gen Hydro pH down though. It does say that it can take on average 1-2ml/gal to drop the pH a full point, and more for harder water.

I wouldn't have thought that it would take ~5.25ml/gal to pull it off though, but whatever I guess.

It's down and steady now. Still seems like a lot though, but maybe not.

that's a lot. What is the strength of the phosphoric acid?

WOW...that sounds like it isn't working right...I have a 55 gallon res in Tent #1 and it only takes a shot glass or maybe two of PH down to drop it from 7.7 to 5.8.

Peace, Hyena

You're right, it's a lot. Effectively, even though the ppm isn't skyrocket high, something somewhere is jacking things around.

5.25ml/gal is a lot. Granted, the directions do say an average of 1ml-2ml per gallon for a full 1 point drop, going 2.5x the higher end of the normal conditions dosage is quite odd.

I cannot say if that is a by product of the water source, or the nutrients. It could be possible it has some sort of buffering compound to keep it in the mid 6's. Although if that were the case, I would think it would also drop it to that level and it hasn't. (Similar to the AN pH perfect stuff.)

We're going to damn well find out though. I've been to the hydro store and have a fresh supply of pH down, and an RO unit rated for 75gpd. I will be hooking it up over the next few days, and testing out new water. If that isn't the issue, it still isn't going to hurt. I have the float valve, big-ass 50gal container, and the parts to get er all done.

Once I get a few gallons of water I can test with, I'll let y'all know.

For now though, the water in the system is stable and sitting at 5.7 from recent observation. That's good enough to get rolling later on today.

"Good Lord, it's a miracle!" -Ed Norton, Warden

:snowboating::headbanger::snowboating:

You're right, it's a lot. Effectively, even though the ppm isn't skyrocket high, something somewhere is jacking things around.

5.25ml/gal is a lot. Granted, the directions do say an average of 1ml-2ml per gallon for a full 1 point drop, going 2.5x the higher end of the normal conditions dosage is quite odd.

I cannot say if that is a by product of the water source, or the nutrients. It could be possible it has some sort of buffering compound to keep it in the mid 6's. Although if that were the case, I would think it would also drop it to that level and it hasn't. (Similar to the AN pH perfect stuff.)

We're going to damn well find out though. I've been to the hydro store and have a fresh supply of pH down, and an RO unit rated for 75gpd. I will be hooking it up over the next few days, and testing out new water. If that isn't the issue, it still isn't going to hurt. I have the float valve, big-ass 50gal container, and the parts to get er all done.

Once I get a few gallons of water I can test with, I'll let y'all know.

For now though, the water in the system is stable and sitting at 5.7 from recent observation. That's good enough to get rolling later on today.

"Good Lord, it's a miracle!" -Ed Norton, Warden

:snowboating::headbanger::snowboating:
Just quickly I have noticed it takes wayyyy more phosphoric acid to drop the ph of tap water than ro water. But still nothing like the dose u are describing.

Just quickly I have noticed it takes wayyyy more phosphoric acid to drop the ph of tap water than ro water. But still nothing like the dose u are describing.

Right, and that's to be expected. But not 2.5x the higher end of the recommended dose! :laugh:

So, I haven't plugged the newly minted ladies into their net pots yet. I'm going to wait a night to be on the safe side and make sure the pH doesn't shit the bed and bottom out tonight. I doubt it, but who knows.

Had to get a fitting (which turned into a chain of fittings) for the RO hookup. Float is 1/2" male, and the RO is the normal 1/4" OD which means 1287 fittings to go in between.

pipe connector with 1/8 male->3/8 to 1/4 coupler->1/4 to 3/8 coupler->3/8 to 1/2 coupler, 1/2 fem x fem coupler....

"Horseshit, that is." -Yoda

First going to try putting it in hot AF water, and seeing if I can get it over a 1/4 ID barb. If so, that cuts out all but the last fem x fem one.

Ugh.

So, I haven't plugged the newly minted ladies into their net pots yet. I'm going to wait a night to be on the safe side and make sure the pH doesn't shit the bed and bottom out tonight. I doubt it, but who knows.

Had to get a fitting (which turned into a chain of fittings) for the RO hookup. Float is 1/2" male, and the RO is the normal 1/4" OD which means 1287 fittings to go in between.

pipe connector with 1/8 male->3/8 to 1/4 coupler->1/4 to 3/8 coupler->3/8 to 1/2 coupler, 1/2 fem x fem coupler....

"Horseshit, that is." -Yoda

First going to try putting it in hot AF water, and seeing if I can get it over a 1/4 ID barb. If so, that cuts out all but the last fem x fem one.

Ugh.
when i have to make a chain of hydraulic fittings at work i call it a babalon 5 space station !

Well.... fuck.

We have a minor issue. It looks like GDP #1 isn't going to do anything. She came up above the soil 2 days ago, but has yet to open her leaves and green up. Think of a mostly white candycane shape. No bueno. No bueno at all.

GDP seed #2 hasn't shown anything either.

Now I'm not sure what to do. I mean, I'll let it go until it is obviously stopped and gone. That's a given. You know, never give up, never surrender.

However, I have to consider if it doesn't make it, and GDP #2 doesn't pop.

- leave a space open, and try to pop another one. (this would put its growth behind the others by close to 2 weeks when it's all said and done)

- use the second seedling from Strawberry Lemonade that is ready

- use the second seedling from Blue Dream that is ready

Oh, the pH this morning is still stable. Looks like round 1 is ready whenever I want to plug a plant into it.

Well, ho ho ho, I suppose...

cc-solo-pro-mod.jpg

One CC Pro Solo Mod, which measures in around 37" x 26" and 16" tall.

Note: Solo, which is undrilled. Also comes with a drain kit.

cc-55-netpot.jpg

(8) of the 5.5" Net Pots. (Yes, I have 4 of this size already, but there are reasons. :))

8-55-lid.png

Finally, the initial lid I picked up. Couldn't find a pic of just the lid, but this is pretty much what it will look like all set up anyway. Well, minus that particular air pump anyway.

Now, what can we do with this?

More like, what can't we do with this.

A few uses, to start:

- 8 site for vegging seedlings up a little bit before putting in their big home

- put a tub on top and whip up a flood/drain setup for soil/soilless seedlings

- run a couple autos in straight DWC

- run a single plant, DWC

- rig it up for an ebb/flow

and the list goes on and on.

Won't be a thing for this go around, although I guess it could. Should be here Thursday, I'm guessing. They say early orders during the day ship out the same day, but it's Saturday so I dunno. Figure it will ship Monday, and it said about 3 days for shipping.

Not sure how I will rig up around this. I may just throw together a cabinet around it, with 2-sided access. Maybe have a shelf so it sits up and won't kill the back bending down. Make it so the shelf comes out, and use it for a full plant if desired. Got most of the wood sitting around, but would probably need plywood for the siding or something. That thin stuff would work for walls. (Or for what the plywood would run, could probably get a basic tent and make a pvc stand.)

Who knows, but it will be fun to mess around with.

Now to hook up some crimmus lights outside along the walk, then maybe a part run for some small bolts/wing nuts/washers, and then put the RO together.

Still keeping an eye on GDP #1, but not looking good for it so far.

Well, the chores are done, so after a bit of a break it's back to work!

First up, fixing it so my osc fans aren't rubbing on the side of the tent when it's sucked in. The bases of the fans (they clamp horizontal) aren't exactly friendly to get off. They look like they will, but nah, the nut won't unscrew from the little bolt. I could screw with it a good while and maybe get it, but would be a nights effort for 4 fans.

So what do we do?

Hello PVC, my old friend.

Taking a 10" stick of 3/4" PVC, an elbow on top, about a 4" piece, and then a tee. Clamp onto the tee, problem solved. Hold it to the corner pole with a pipe clamp and we're done here.

Second up, plumbing up the RO unit. Will be hooking it to a sink faucet adapter, turning it on as needed. It's rated at 75GPD, which is plenty enough for this and then some.

Still not sure on the GDP. She hasn't wilted away yet, but I would have expected her to spread her cotyledons by now. Will be keeping an eye on it, and maybe she's just still building that tap root and not ready yet. We'll see I guess, and maybe she will deliver a surprise.

No visible signs on GDP #2 or Durban Poison #1 yet.

The rest are good and going though, so there's that.

Could it be? Is it true?

"It's twue! It's twue!" -Lili Von Shtupp

Yep. GDP #1 has opened her cotyledons and headed in the right direction. It was a bit sketchy for a while, but here we go, days later after popping up, and she decided to play ball.

Quite the relief!

The osc fans are now mounted on their pvc sticks. Worked like a charm. Zip tie wasn't quite enough, so have a pipe clamp at the top, and a zip tie around the bottom. Other than that, it worked out well so far. Of course it would be better if these fans had a true 90* of rotation to them, but whatever. I think they cover well enough. If not, I can add a third one or something.

No, it's not a trip to the Venetian in Vegas. Although that would be a welcomed distraction at this time.

Of course when you have a positive day, something is going to blow up. Well, it did. Thankfully no damage or anything like that, other than what is sure to be wallet; again.

So what was it?

Well, the 50gal rubbermaid commercial, heavy duty can I picked up to do nute changes?

I went to find my water level so I knew how high to put my float valve, and the short of it is the can turned into a bloated beached whale of a near disaster. I got it to 45 gallons, but it was highly unstable and no way in the pit of hades am I going to even think about using that for res changes.

Thankfully I had a submersible pump sitting there and was able to get it hooked up and the water pumped out into a drain without issue.

So now I somehow need to find somewhere that is a) open on a Sunday, and b) has some sort of a 50 or 55 gallon drum/barrel available for purchase.

Hydro store is out, their closed tomorrow. If I can't find one tomorrow, I can check them Monday.

Ugh. If it ain't one thing, it's another.

GDP's still fighting, so there's that. :rolleyes:

3242M_Isolated.jpg

Best I've found was a 50gal rain barrel. They also have a 60gal for another $10, but might be more than I'm after. Although if the 50 isn't a full 50 gallons, then it could get dicey. Plus I could fill a 60 to 55 gallons, mix up nutes, and then adjust what is left over for the other system. Not that it takes more than 2 hours to get enough to water the others. So I dunno, guess I'll see what's what when I get there.

Wish I'd have known that 5 hours ago when I was just at that freaking store. :rolleyes:

Well, I came to a realization. Duh... try the farm store.

Yep.

img9650885.jpg

50gal food grade poly barrel for $60. Good enough, and has a lid.

I think that will work, and the store opens at 8. So that means it should be good when I finally roll over there around 11 to check it out. If not gonna work, there's always the stock tank option. :laugh:

Well hell, thanks to a persistent pup I've been up, out, and back from 3 stores. Well, two for supplies and one for doughnuts. :laugh:

This bastard will definitely hold the water.

Now, to finish this cinnamon roll and then start the process of washing/rinsing/test filling/blah blah blah so I can plumb the RO.

Oh, as a note, the pH on the system has come up to 6.2 as of this morning. :rolleyes:

Not sure if it's the nutes or the base water fighting it up.

Have you calibrated your ph pen lately? Head scratcher for sure .

Yep. Just calibrated my blue lab, and my pen when I put this batch of water in.

I’m not going to fuss over it. The next res, and beyond, will be RO anyway.

Back
Top Bottom