MVortex's Perpetual Thread For A 4x4 Tent & RDWC

I am not in a hurry...I would like to take my time, and build it right. A full parts list would be bloody amazing! I’m a technician by trade, so can figure a few things out on my own? It seems easier when i’m Really high...I need to leave the house for up to a week at a time, this system seems like the way! I have been reading multiple journals to find a set-up I like...the RDWC seems like it could be perfect for my application?

multi's builds are super solid. not many off the shelf packages would work as well.

If you still have that gorilla tent instead of doing all that for the hump to exit it out of the vent..y don't u put it in the middle where u zip the tent up at as there's a gap on those type of tents usually well there is on my tent not the same brand and I imagine u won't cut a hole in it which I can understand for a nice tent like that...Could always get a new tent that has the horizontal drains on the floor pretty much my quick cube has them and are very nice actually...

I've thought of all that. You're right though, no way I'm cutting up a $350 tent. :rofl:

I did consider the alternative and turning the tent, however that wouldn't really work very well in my space right now.

This change will kind of be a really good compromise.

Some day I'll get a new tent, but that will be when I can go bigger. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Also for fans I use USB oscillating fans off Amazon. And they work great def not like those pos vivosuns are as I've had both the blue and new white versions and they both quit in a few months too complete B's...But if u email them and let them know they will give u a full refund like they are a great company like that so get ur money back and move on...But ya the oscillating USB fans are quite nice mines like 8mo old and running just fine so far so alot better than vivosuns soo all up to u and I believe they are 20 but if u need a few of them they will give u a deal just email and ask...

I have some of those, 6 to be specific. Two are running in my 3x3, clamped to this little stick I made from pvc. Bout 10" of 1/2" pipe, elbow on top of that, then a tee. The elbow connects to the branch of the tee, and the tee sits level. Fan clamps right to the tee, just like it would to a desk or table.

However, of those 6 fans, two have burnt up. Just quit working all together. I also don't think they move enough air. If the cfm's were double, I'd stick with them.

The blizzard ones I'm replacing with now (as others die off) are solid. Great little fans, and $20. The holder is like $10 or so, but you only need to get that one time.

Those vivo's are a great idea, I just wished they worked better. I know exactly what has been wrong with mine, and even tried working with them to correct the issue. Doubt anything happens, but maybe someday.

With mine, they just quit oscillating. Why? The power wire is just a hair too short, and with a general tolerance of a hair, if it's too the short side that wire will get broke off, and when the fan gets to almost its max turn, power cuts off. Sometimes (early on in the disconnect) it might have just enough spin left in the blades to get it around the corner and coming back, which then the power wire makes contact and it keeps going. However, a little of that and it gets to the point it won't kick back on.

Add 1/2" more of power wire and it wouldn't happen.

Now in a rdwc setup I prefer to use nutes that do not have dyes in them like gh trio does as if u have any issues esp them being stained brown u won't notice u have a issue til it's already there and taken over uk...But that's just my personal opinion...I have jacks and love it as it's nice n clear

Jack's is on my short list. Almost as cheap as MegaCrop (if I were to get enough for about 6-8 runs), but definitely less than running AN, GH, etc.

Haven't decided yet, but I have some other stuff to figure out first before I do that. That's why I'm back on the trio. I know what/how/why it does what it does. MC stained the roots a little too, but I can work with it. Not my preference, but it's at least familiar territory.

See, MC was giving me fits about 3-4 weeks into flower. It was showing like a cal/mg deficiency, but I think it may have been from a lockout. Another member has really keyed in on some of the makeup of the fertilizer, and their main source of nitrogen (like it's 8.5 out of the total 9%) is one that is scientifically known to raise pH. That may be part of it, plus a few other things. I see way less problems with MC in dirt/promix. It seems to be a bit finicky for hydro.

So I had some trio left on hand, and that's what I'm rolling with right now. I can match that up to previous notes, and I know what it should be doing.

I hope this will either finger out MC or my base source water as an issue (my tap water is stuffed fat with lime because the ground water comes out of big limestone aquifers).

My RO unit gets most of it, but not all. Lime making pH rise, and you see where we're going here. Eliminating MC and going back to trio means that take the nitrogen issue of MC out of play. Now I can see just how much the lime is really borking the rest of it.

I did order a new RO unit. It's a bigger 4-stage, 300GPD. Wasn't planning on that yet. It's normally $375, and I got it for $225 on a flash sale. Couldn't pass it up, since it was on the list anyway.

Between all that shit, I hope things get a little better controlled with less variables in play.

Ya I switched from. My current culture rdwc setup and went to the bucket company instead and should have it done this weekend finally and can't wait it's gna be pimp and sooo glad I dont have 150gal 247 in bloom going in a finished basement as it's only a matter of time before there's a leak and that much water id have a waiting pool in my house like absolutely not so I sold it before it happened.....

Your new setup looks good! I like it a lot!

I have a liner for mine now. It's not great, but will keep the water in the tent at least. At some point I'm going to get stupid and build a little box with pondliner. Sit that inside the tent, then the little "tray" liner that comes with tents will go inside that for the reflection.

Those pics are sweet! I'd be proud of that build too. :cheesygrinsmiley:

But still running hydro esp when they come out with these new lids which is one of the reasons I bought it as going to netpots and I'll be doing like a aero setup but in a rainfall setup so only from above the water will be and they will be on a aero timer cycle to esp w roots hanging in air so it's gna be dopetastic to say thee least

That's wild. I have an aero setup for seedlings and clones. One of the CC mod solo's with 8 of the 5.5" netpot holes. Single tub, would be like DWC for a bit. But should be a great setup for starting plants to put into the RDWC.

I am not in a hurry...I would like to take my time, and build it right. A full parts list would be bloody amazing! I’m a technician by trade, so can figure a few things out on my own? It seems easier when i’m Really high...I need to leave the house for up to a week at a time, this system seems like the way! I have been reading multiple journals to find a set-up I like...the RDWC seems like it could be perfect for my application?

It can be, once you get it all dialed in just right. You'll need a few runs with it to see how it goes, but if you take good notes you could certainly leave for a week and not fuss over it.

There would be a tick more to get settled with to do that, but shouldn't be bad.

I'll see what I can put together in the next week or two for a starting list. I'll try to give a couple options for each item when I can.

multi's builds are super solid. not many off the shelf packages would work as well.

Awwww. Thanks brother! :high-five:

Awwww. Thanks brother! :high-five:

any time. i'm frankly jealous. i used to do hydro when dinosaurs sold dime bags ... :p

when i had to start my own spaces up after 30 yrs, i threw together a crap system i thought was gonna be the new beginning. all based on old steve tech. never even fired it before everything changed lol.

now i'm super glad i didn't. the newer better designed systems are superior in every way. i really like looking at how they've evolved, and how nice your stuff is. good diy systems can be worth big bucks on a pennies budget. even then it can be an investment. it's the only way to do it.

any time. i'm frankly jealous. i used to do hydro when dinosaurs sold dime bags ... :p

when i had to start my own spaces up after 30 yrs, i threw together a crap system i thought was gonna be the new beginning. all based on old steve tech. never even fired it before everything changed lol.

now i'm super glad i didn't. the newer better designed systems are superior in every way. i really like looking at how they've evolved, and how nice your stuff is. good diy systems can be worth big bucks on a pennies budget. even then it can be an investment. it's the only way to do it.

Thank you so much for that. :)

You may remember my first design puked. Never even saw water. It might have been ok by the original design I had in mind, but making a change on the fly to solve another problem just borked it all up. Turned from decent to shit real quick. Wasted money, lesson learned.

That lesson specifically got me to where I am though, and a way better rig. Even as it is now, it's still really good. But if you haven't put 2 and 2 together yet, I like to tweak things and prick around. :rofl:

The only real unknown with the change I'm going to make on the one bucket is the roots. I'm going by how they do with the current design, and hoping for similar results. It's not really pushing a high flow, but circulates really well. If the roots are taking well to that flow, I should be alright. The flow rate isn't changing, just the direction. I think it will be just fine, but as you can see I'm planning for the worst just in case.

Not sure if I mentioned it or not, but I'm going to be doing a similar setup in my 3x3. Just one bucket inside, but same overflow type deal into a 15gal res. So like 9gal in the bucket (by the time I drop the water level to 1" under the netpot or there about, then 15 in the res. Should be good. I may keep it running next summer, but we'll see. I may go back to the dutch buckets for the summer again. Easier with the heat and not worrying about water temps. :cheesygrinsmiley:

They've stayed pretty good on the two dutch reservoirs this summer, so who knows.

I'll shut down this rig again for the summer though. Helps offset the AC coming on.

U ever think about getting a 4in exhaust fan and mounting it in the corner of your tent or setup and use that for a fan as ive seen it done quite a bit too if u want to get away from cheap garbage ass fans...And your viviosun fan is it the newer model with the white blades vs the blue they used to have as mine had that same short as well I fixed mine but still a pita to have to deal with but the white one I have so far is working still and the usb ones but when these go out I may just say fuck it and get a 4in terrabloom and just use one of those for my fan and call it a day so will c ...As ya I'm tired of having to replace them like every grow just madness
Sure wish vostermans would make one for us home growers it would be thee last one we would have to buy and would be soooo dope but nope commercial only for them which is bs like there isn't enough personal home growers on the planet that they could sell to and make tons of money on esp when it's already made just would need to make it smaller for a tent ...But as always when you need something and can't find it then you make it yourself so I may just do that ...A 3d printer sure would come in handy and soo close to gettn one lol

Ya I'm editing my setup actually I keep changing it as I think of something else and u know how that goes so gna edit it some more now but we getting to the end finally as I should have the rest of my fittings on Mon or Tues finally so after I get em I'll be able to transplant to the veg tent as this cabinet is overflowing l lol
IMG_20200822_084222.jpg
IMG_20200822_081930.jpg

U ever think about getting a 4in exhaust fan and mounting it in the corner of your tent or setup and use that for a fan as ive seen it done quite a bit too if u want to get away from cheap garbage ass fans...And your viviosun fan is it the newer model with the white blades vs the blue they used to have as mine had that same short as well I fixed mine but still a pita to have to deal with but the white one I have so far is working still and the usb ones but when these go out I may just say fuck it and get a 4in terrabloom and just use one of those for my fan and call it a day so will c ...As ya I'm tired of having to replace them like every grow just madness

I like a little oscillation on my fans, but if stationary were alright in someone's setup then a little 4" wouldn't be bad. Don't need forceful wind, just a nice volume.

AC makes all kinds of neato stuff. Like the AirTitan T8's. Not for everyone, but if you need something like they, they're aces.

Their computer fans are, as you know, and really I haven't got a bad product from them.

If they had a 6" or 8" oscillating fan, I'd be first in line.

The vivo's I have are the white blade ones, so that should tell ya something. Different color, same problem. I really think they are hit/miss with it. Some have an issue, some don't. Some may just take longer, so who knows. I've had them shit the bed in 2 days, and some have been running for 9+ months.

The little USB ones are alright, although I did have one puke on me. The rest have been fine. As the current ones kick off, I'm replacing with 8"/9" holmes little blizzard's. They're pretty decent fans normally, so we'll see how they hold up for this.

Now I do use stationary 9" usb fans on the floors. Those have been great since I started using them last year. Quiet as a mouse, with a nice gentle touch. Moves a nice bit of air without having to worry about wind burn. Plus being usb, they're cheap on the bills. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Ya u and me both if ac infinity made a oscillation fan as I have several of their fans x2 t6 and pc fans for the others....Now the 4in exhaust fan would go in one of the corners of the tent and be placed horizontal and w the exhaust fan having slight negative pressure it will be like a mini tornado...Now I have a vivosun 4in exhaust fan actually 2 of them as the 1st the bearing is loose and loud and the 2nd started doing the same so the terrabloom would pry be the best way to go as it's like a knockoff acinfinity but with a hyperfan speed controller on it...So ya I'm actually highly considering doing that for my veg tent as I'm tired having to replace these 6in oscillating fans as they all suck for the most part I even tried the secret jardin monkey fan and had the same issue with the cord and shorting out so yeah def a good company like ac infinity NEEDS to make a USB oscillating fan that clips on to a pole..Granite I saved all my adapters from my old ones as ive used them on others too I've tried but yeah it's ridiculous and ya I have a fan for below the canopy too tower fans do wonders if you have the room as u get a constant flow for the height of the tower which is great...
Only if they had a oscillating fan that was built to last....And if vostermans made a fan for home growers ESP tent growers that would get rid of any fan for the plants and then some...
I may just build a 3d printer and make my own shroud too along with a bunch of other shit

I had a “crazy” idea the other day to hook up a stationary usb fan in every corner, and hook them to a wave maker (like for reef tanks.)

What’s that? Effectively it’s a timed power strip that cycles through each outlet one by one. So each fan comes on for say, 30 seconds or one minite, whatever you set it to. Or you could have two on at the same time, then the other two. Or one starts off and runs for 2 minutes. In the middle of that cycle the second one kicks on for 2 minutes, the third kicks on as the first kicks off, etc. Making for an overlap.

Doesn’t mean anything, just a concept that crossed my mind.

U know u might be on to something there ya I know wat a wave maker sine wave but ya I didn't even consider using one in that way but it would be great and would make it more like mother nature..
U know maybe the bell&howell foldaway fan would work as it can go to sit at 4ft and anything in between has 4 power settings too and usb so u know maybe something like that would work....hmmmmm now u have me thinking about that too as it is a great idea .....
Got too much shit going on right now maybe later on I may look into that vs the 4in exhaust fan so will c

I think in the right situation it could work really well. Some caveats to watch for, but nothing serious.

Lots of ways to direct the airflow, and tons of options open up for equipment to use with it.

Speaking of fans, I have a cheap ass Vivosun occulting fans that just stopped and is now dead but I got a Lasko occulting fans along with the fan and carbon filter. I just got a portable AC unit for my 8x8. Temps have been up in the 90s for a few days now so I have to get my temps in check and I am thinking it should do the trick. Its a 12,000 BTU system

So, what's the damn deal?

Things are happening, albeit slowly with a few hurdles to get over.

The new Current Culture buckets are here. They’re awesome. The drain out well is excellent. However, it also means the buckets are about 4” taller than the ez stor buckets. Translation: nothing lines up now.

So, what to do? I could make a riser for the other 3 buckets. Lumber is high right now though, and that’s not the greatest option. Would it work? Yes.

The other option is to order 3 more buckets and be done with it. Cost is about double, but the end result would be cleaner. Not to mention that is the end game anyway. Short of it, 3 more buckets should be here next week sometime. I won’t need any more new bulkheads for the new buckets, just the holes. I did have to get 1 new 3”, but that’s not from the new buckets. That’s for the connection into the res, which is the only pipe I’m replacing.

It sounds weird, but when it comes time I’ll throw up some pics. Not 100% sure what the auto run will look like, but we’ll see. There may be a surprise guest or two.

DA81C1DC-D08A-499E-8C96-9BC2468DE385.jpeg

Buckets

10BC11FF-A7F1-47E1-94EF-C95C62EE5A21.jpeg

Underneath, you can see the void which adds to the height.

I should be dropping beans this weekend or next either way, so might as well do it right. I was gonna switch out the other 3 buckets next spring anyway, so in theory I saved the cost of the lumber, time to build it, and time taking it out when I would have been replacing those buckets. So I guess that’s a win?

That's my story and I’m sticking to it. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Now if the seed man would show up this week, that might just seal the deal on one of the slots. ;)

Things have been crazy busy lately. Still in the middle of the build upgrades.

New buckets all around, not just the bucket connected to the res. I should maybe replace the res too, but haven’t been to lowes to get a new tote. I should probably think about doing that soon. Doesn’t need to be a gigantic one, a 17gal tote should work out just fine.

The big change is that this run will also be a trial of the True Plant Science component series of nutes. Picked up just enough for a full run to give it a shot this go around. I will start by following their feeding chart, and go from there. They seem to have their charts dialed in pretty well, and the typical half-dose may not apply with this line. We’ll see when we get there.

Hope to be dropping the beans next weekend.

You setting up a current culture system?

Not exactly, but I am going to use their buckets. The ez-stor type (that they've improved upon) type mods, not the big tote kind.

I ran into an issue with height differences though from the drain well, and ended up having to replace all my buckets at once. Then someone, and I can neither conform nor deny this, may have put a hole in the wrong spot.

So yeah, two more buckets show up tomorrow. :rolleyes:

I won’t be able to get back into the rest of the plumbing until next week, but I’m gonna hit it hard. May even take a day off to get it done, if possible/needed.

Just have the supply lines to do, which I will as soon as I have the buckets moved in and connected. They each came with a uniseal for the drain line, but I went with a proper bulkhead instead and used a little sealant on the outside as a precaution. Did that over the weekend, and letting that dry and cure up real good in the meantime. It should be good now for sure.

Not perfectly pretty, white sealant and all, but it’ll be just dandy me thinks.

Back
Top Bottom