My 1st Backpacking trip

RangerDanger

I went with some friends to a place locals call The Plunge.
It involves a relatively difficult hike down the sides of cliffs in the Angeles Nat'l Forest/Tujunga Canyon. Eventually you arrive at a natural 2-story water slide. Lots of fun.
We returned later that same day but I was wondering what was further downstream.
So the next weekend me and 2 friends borrowed backpacking equip. and set off fow a 3-day jaunt.
We had no idea what was past The Plunge. We didn't know if we could hike out further downstream or if we'd have to retrace our steps.
I realize now that a quick stop at a Forest Service stations would have netted us a map, but I didn't know that at the time.
For intoxicants we brought beer, blackberry brandy and lots and lots of leaf from a few plants I was growing in the city.
The second day in we were standing by a pool in the stream when TB pointed in the water and said "Hey look".
We saw a 16" fat rainbow trout in the pool!
I hadn't had any idea there were any catchable fish is the stream. We had brought no fishing equip.
We wanted that fish.
So we went further downstream where the water was shallow and kinda dammed it up. The we "chased" the trout to that area and were able to flip it out of the water with a stick.
So now came the second part of the equasion--how to cook it.
The only cooking utinsil we had brought was a small cooking pot, to heat up the chili & ramen we had brought for food.
What to do?
So we filleted the trount, filled up the pot with the blackberry brandy and poached it.
Oh man was that trout tasty. Sweet and purple from the brandy.
However, we had had to use a major portion of the last booze we had. And we wanted to smoke AND drink.
So we had the bright idea of drinking the brandy we had poached the trout in.
DON'T EVER DO THIS!!!
Possibly the worst tasting liquid I have ever had in my mouth.
Later that day we encountered Spider Cave (detailed in another post).

It was a ace weekend. We discovered 3 waterfalls and sandy area's next to the stream ideal for backpacking campsites, and side canyons to explore at a later date.
We found another way out (on a fire road) and hike dout the next day. At the top I dropped off my pack and I hitchhiked to where I had parked my car, the went back and picked up my 2 friends and equip.
I had never backpacked before, and I was hooked. I went out the next week and bought a frame pack, lug soled boots, and commendeered family car camping equip. like a tent and propane stove/lantern.
And I bought a Pocket Fisherman & bait. And the proper stuff to cook the fish in.
I continued to frequent that canyon for the next 25 years, and have caught scores of trout there.

BONUS RECIEPE
Catch some trout then gut/fillet them (although filleting is optional).
You should have a frying pan, oil/butter, and a plastic bad with flour and healthy helping of Mrs. Dash.
Dip the fillets in the beer, then put in the bag of flour/spices and shake it up baby.
Then place in a hot frying pan with the oil. Toss in a clove or 2 of garlic if you wish.
Serve with lemon.
MMMMMMM.

SPECIAL BONUS--Ranger Dangers Rainbow Fries.
This is more of a car camping thing.
At home cut up some fries. Put the raw potato's in a bag and in another bag bring chopped up red & green bell papper and onion.
You'll also need a cooking pot and lots of oil and of course paper towels for draining.
Cook the fries just like you would at home, and about 5 minutes before they're done, toss in a handful of the pepper/onion mix.
When they're done and drained you will have colorful delicious fries, the best you've ever tasted, to go with the trout.

P.S. Of course you can cook the trout and fries at home.
But they taste better out in the woods.

Hmmm...

Great story! (but of course)
By now, it's a little too chilly out around these parts to do any good ol' camping.
BUT I have to try your recipes... and you're right, they MUST be made out in the woods. Maybe I'll set up camp in the back yard tonight.... with blankets... lots and lots of blankets. Supper in the trees!!! :cheesygrinsmiley:

Awww, now I want to know about spider cave, lol. Great read, man I miss camping...

Back
Top Bottom