My 1st Grow Ever - Incredible Bulk

re: My 1st Grow Ever - Incredible Bulk

Just remember, rock wool holds more water than other more arid substrate, so while they are small and delicate my best practice is to squeeze the excess water out and put them back onto a dry tray or table. With new roots, they need it a little drier so they seek out nutrients, plus they thrive on oxygen. You are in the right place man. Don't ever give up, you got too many people here to network with to fail. And failure isn't a bad thing. It teaches you how to be better next time. Just do the best you can and keep an open mind. Stay thirsty for knowledge. You should just try to do a little better every harvest. Nobody can pull a pound or more of the best smoke on their first harvest. We all started knowing nothing and moved on from there.

Hi everyone! Thanks for the advice as it is much appreciated.

Here’s an update:

Since the water change, I think there has been a small improvement in the babies. I noticed they grew a few centimeters and the colors look more lively. Roots are coming out of 2 of them. Ph of the water climbed up to 7.1 twice but watered it down with pH’d water to bring it down to 5.5. T5’s and bubblers are still ON 24/7. Covered the cups with foil to keep the roots in the dark. A few more centimeters and will be lowering them a little as they might be getting too close to the light.

Will be taking everyone’s advise so will be riding this out unless told otherwise.

Here are some pics:

IMG_4884.PNG

IMG_4883.PNG

IMG_4879.PNG

IMG_4877.PNG

IMG_4878.PNG

download43.jpg

I am currently just monitoring the pH. PPM's seem ok at 150. Hope these babies have a growth spurt soon.

Thanks again for all your guidance!

Again, advice is most welcome.;)

Merry Christmas everyone! Peace!

timrey, I really think you should get a timer on your lights and give the kiddos a nap time everyday, that is 18 hours light, 6 hours dark. Though it may be true that a plant can photosynthesize in 24 hours of light, root production occurs better in a dark period, as well as the plant repairs torn tissue and tearing tissue is a daily event in growing up.

Hi Skybound,

Thanks for the advise!

Will do that in a couple of days. I'm just waiting for the 2 newer babies to grow a bit more.

Will post an update in a bit. Thanks again!

Hi everyone!

Just a quick update:

Babies have been growing steadily the past days. Ph tends to increase everyday but i add ph'd water to keep ph within 5.5 to 6.0 range. Roots are now starting to show on babies 1 & 2. Babies 3 & 4 are starting to show new leaves but sre still not showing any roots outside the net cups. T5's and bubblers are still ON 24/7. Planning to do a water change in the res tom (after 7 days). Will also add another small dose of root 66 to hopefully give them a growth spurt. As per Skybound's advise, will switch them to 18/6 on the T5's very soon!

Hoping for a grow spurt soon!

Pics below! Advise most welcome!

Til the next update! Peace!

IMG_4975.PNG

IMG_49741.PNG

IMG_4972.PNG

IMG_4971.PNG

image16910.jpg

Hello everyone! Thanks for the tips!

Thanks for the like stealthgrow. I am assuming I'm on the right track...(?)

Time for an update:

The babies are steadily growing and new leaves are starting to come out. I changed the water 2 days ago and I started with the nutes with 1/4 of the recommended dosage. After replacing the water, PPM is 340 and ph is within the 5.5 to 6.5 range. After 2 days, which is today, roots are seen coming out of ALL the babies! And as per Skybound's advise, switched to 18/6 light regimen. Wil keep the babies in the vegetation under the T5's til they hit the light before I put them in the flowering chamber below.

Will continue monitoring the pH and PPM's. Will be adding ph'd water in case pH goes up again.

Question: Is it a good time to top or fimm babies#1 and/or 2 as they are already showing 3-4 nodes? Or should I wait a few more days? I am anticipating to use the SCROG method. Do I need to foilar spray the babies? I think there's a specific nute included in the package (B1-Thrive Alive if I'm not mistaken).

Pics below. Advise is most welcome.

Thanks everyone! Happy new year! Peace!

IMG_50265.JPG

IMG_50254.JPG

IMG_50242.JPG

IMG_50233.JPG

IMG_50273.JPG

the dark green leaves shows they drink much more N and curled leaves is sign of hot temp I had similar problem with one of my babaies

Keep us updated with photos bud. If you want to escape the wasted time chasing ph issues, switch to hand watering with no recirculating. I only hand water every few days. Same end result, less work. Automation rarely means less work even though the name implies it. Remember when they said technology was supposed to save time and make life easier? Those guys should have smoked a joint.

Hello everyone,

Happy new year!

Thanks for the tips guys! Much appreciated!

Thanks for the advise KingJohnC! I guess Ill be topping (babies#1&2) in a few days then...

The babies are steadily growing day by day. Baby#1 looks a bit abnormal tho. Her leaves are a bit different from her sisters. Her stem has a brownish color too. Is this normal? Could this possibly be a hermie? Possibly from the long germination period? Will she survive? More leaves, however, are out of babies#2, 3 & 4. I think the switching from 24/7 to 18/6 really helped. Will be keeping them like this til they grow a bit more (around 5-6 inches) before they're transferred to the flowering chamber below. Doing a water change in the cloner in 2 days. Ph reading is always within 5.5 to 6.5 and PPM's are on the 300+. Just adding pH'd water everytime pH goes up. Planning to up the nutes a bit to aprrox 500 on the res change. Is this correct? Am I doing the right things?

Will be posting pics of babies 1 & 2 side by side below so everyone can see the difference.

Advise is most welcome! Thanks again for the tips guys!

Peace!

IMG_5051.PNG

Babies 1 & 2. Spot the difference?

IMG_5049.PNG

Babies 3 & 4

IMG_5052.PNG

IMG_5050.PNG

The new growth looks really good and I truly doubt any will hermie on you, just keep doing what you're doing and they'll all be all aces!

The babies are steadily growing day by day. Baby#1 looks a bit abnormal tho. Her leaves are a bit different from her sisters. Her stem has a brownish color too. Is this normal? Could this possibly be a hermie? Possibly from the long germination period? Will she survive? More leaves, however, are out of babies#2, 3 & 4. I think the switching from 24/7 to 18/6 really helped. Will be keeping them like this til they grow a bit more (around 5-6 inches) before they're transferred to the flowering chamber below. Doing a water change in the cloner in 2 days. Ph reading is always within 5.5 to 6.5 and PPM's are on the 300+. Just adding pH'd water everytime pH goes up. Planning to up the nutes a bit to aprrox 500 on the res change. Is this correct? Am I doing the right things?

Can you please take some close up photographs of your plant #1? What are you feeding your plants and how many milliliters per gallon? I believe that you should not increase your nutrient strength until the issues with your plant #1 are resolved. I would adjust the pH of your nutrient solution daily if required to maintain pH 5.8 if possible. Yes, when using the Add Back method of replenishing pH adjusted water to the nutrient solution to balance pH and restore water volume between nutrient solution changes.

Hey Timrey, I noticed that you don't have anything covering the rockwool where your plants are growing. I suggest that you put a layer or two of expanded clay pellets or some other inert medium over the top of them. This will keep the light from growing algae and mold on the rockwool, and it keeps the light from shining into the tank creating other problems you can happily live without. Hope this helps!

Hello everyone,

Time for an update:

Babies are steadily growing. More leaves are coming out of all of them. Ph climb up to 6.1 to 6.4 level everyday but I water it down to 5.8, as per advise of KingJohnC. Changed water in the cloner last night. I used 2 gallons of RO water and nuted it 5-6ml (aprrox 1/3) of the Technoflora chart that was included. Here are pics of the 4 babies and close ups of the weird looking baby#1.

IMG_50625.JPG

IMG_50636.JPG

IMG_50644.JPG

Baby#2 - Topped her. Just her. Hoping to stunt the growth a little so the others can catch up.

Before topping:

IMG_50664.JPG

IMG_50672.JPG

After topping:

IMG_50685.JPG

Baby#3

IMG_50735.JPG

Baby#4

IMG_50749.JPG

While changing the water, I noticed that the leaves of baby#2 was curling and had some yellow spots. Read somewhere that this might be caused by high heat. (?)

IMG_507710.JPG

So, I decided to bring down babies 1 & 2 to the flowering chamber using the LED lights. Took out the small net cups & put in the bigger net cups with pellets around it. I set the timer at 18/6, mixed up another batch of nuted water, added another 20-30 drops of the nutes to bring up PPM's to 300+ and ph'd water to 5.5 to 5.8 range, set up the bubblers, turned on the internal fan and set light approx 12inches from the top of the 2 babies. Did not install the air pump for the top feeder as I saw from Stealthgrow's threads that he doesn't use it. Instead, I manually water the plants using a syringe approx 3 times a day using water from the res. Also, as per Bangabong's advise, put pellets on top of ALL the babies to prevent light from getting in the res. So now, I have babies 1 & 2 at the lower chamber and babies 3 & 4 at the cloning chamber, both at 18/6 light regimen.

IMG_50838.JPG

IMG_50845.JPG

IMG_50857.JPG

IMG_50867.JPG

IMG_50885.JPG

I really hope I did the right things. Again, advise is most welcome.

Thanks for the tips! Peace!

I could easily be misinterpreting what I'm seeing in this pic, but it appears to me that this plant is on the verge of "damping off" which happens when very young plants get over watered, especially in rock wool, and the main stem gets thinned out to the point it can no longer function properly and the plant soon dies if the leading cause is not remedied.

So to better determine if this is what is happening, can you verify that when the top feed is activated, that none of the nute water is splashing the main stem at it's base? If yes, please adjust accordingly. If not, I'm curious to know for how long each feed time segment is, ie is the pump on for 15 minutes or more?

Otherwise, just keep a watchful eye on that plant as she may need special attention which I know would be fine with you.

Hi Skybound,

She started really weird. Took a longer time to germinate compared to her 3 sisters. When leaves started to come out, it wasnt the usual type you would see. Had a weird straight shape. Im definitely keeping an eye on her.

I have never used the top feeder. I just manually feed them on top approx 3 times a day for a couple of minutes with a syringe using the nuted and pH'd water from the res. Never noticed if the main stem gets splashed. Didnt think it was important So, the main stem shouldn't get wet?

I also noticed the leaves drooping on babies 1 & 2 a few hours after I transferred them to the larger net cup. But upon checking them last night, things are looking better. I guess they just adjusted to their new house and the LED's. In fact, baby#1 swems to have swelled and have new bush-like leaves. The curling is also gone. I guess it was really the heat from the T5's.

Will be posting some pics in the next update in a couple of days.

Thanks for the insight Skybound. Looking forward to more.

Peace!

I should have put more focus on the wetness of the grow media because when sprouting seeds, it is often advised to get the media really damp, but not wet if you can understand the fine line there? Over watering a seedling can kill it, but once it advances beyond being a seedling, it can handle a wetter media.

Hello everyone,

Quick update:

Ph still climbs up but I bring it back to the 5.5-5.8 range as per advise by replacing with pH'd water. PPM's on the 450-500 range. This goes for all the babies.

Skybound i think you are right after all! New leaves are coming out of baby#1 but a lot orange spots are also coming out of the leaves of baby#1. Just her. Not sure what to do because baby#2 looks ok. And they share the same res. Should I ride it out? Will it affect baby#2? Should i get rid of it? Advise most welcome. Pics below.

IMG_5123.PNG

Here's baby#1 & 2:

IMG_5124.PNG

Baby#2

IMG_5125.PNG

Baby#3 - still in the cloner

IMG_5126.PNG

Baby#4 - still in the cloner

IMG_5127.PNG

IMG_5128.PNG

IMG_5129.PNG

Will update again soon! Peace!