My 2nd LED Indoor Grow - White Widow x Big Bud & Assorted Supporting Cast

Figured it's about time to wrap this one up. I know I haven't updated in a long while but shit happens.

I was horrified and in stunned disbelief when I first weighed the Quick One. I popped a box on the scales and zeroed it and poured in the bud and stared unbelievingly at the read out - 40 grams! I looked at all the buds and shook my head; they can't be so light, I thought and put the buds back in the curing jars to forget about them for a while. After a few weeks of curing I bagged it up and was thankful that something had gone wrong with the initial weighing as I ended up with a little over 3 ounces of dried and cured buds. I was expecting at least 4 and had already disposed of the roots and excess plant matter so couldn't eat the roots on dry toast as promised.

I've just pulled a bud out to try it. The buds themselves have very little smell at all, but the bag has a very musky organic smell with a hint of hops and dry hay, but pulling a bud apart releases a wholly different fragrance all together. This is slightly sharp and acidic with a citrusy smell leaning more towards grapefruit. The smoke is a little harsh and has very little flavour, both on the inhale and exhale. I had a couple of small bowls and it is starting out quite cerebral and has the bonus of some visual effects as well (no, not hallucinations unfortunately, more some flickering and buzzing around the periphery.)

The WWXBBs, from an early age all showed rust coloured patches on the leaves, which I initially identified as calcium deficiency and kept the PH relatively high, between 6.1 and 6.5 and added calmag, when these measures didn't alleviate the issue I looked at other options. I suspected it could then be phosphorous deficiency with the phosphorous locked out at that ph level. But setting the environment to ideal for both calcium and phosphorous didn't seem to solve it at all. I then looked for other explanations and the only thing close I could find was rust, but the discolouration on the leaves didn't leave any residue at all. I was stumped!

#3 was the least affected by it and only showed early traces before continuing with healthy growth. #2, the auto-topped plant, was the worse affected and the symptoms persisted to such a degree that the sugar leaves on the buds were starting to brown and die so I felt forced to harvest her about a week earlier than I would have wanted. The buds had already filled out but they weren't as solid as #3

#1 started of vigorously, but never really took to the DWC and was always spindly and slow. She too suffered with the leaf issue but not to the same extent as #2. She was obviously a different phenotype with buds very different to the other two.

#3 was by far the best of them all and produced the biggest, fattest, densest nugs of them all. I only have pics of her which I'll put below.

I never expected great things from #1 and she yielded about what I expected with about an ounce and a quarter. #2, which topped itself as a very young seedling was the largest of the all (#1 and #3 weren't topped) and yielded a little over four ounces of pretty good buds and #3 gave about 3 ounces of great buds.

The 3 mystery girl clones were ripped mid flower and are currently sitting in a container until I can figure out what to do with it :)

I had earlier taken clones from all the WWXBBs, but things like frost damage and lights falling on their heads and burning them reducing the number to just 2 and I have no idea which plant(s) they come from as I didn't label them. I have double topped both of them and used the cuttings for clones. I also tried to clone a number of buds from #3, but only 2 took and one has just started revegging and the other looks like it will do the same any day now. As I wanted to guarantee plants from #3, I decided to reveg her. I took her from the DWC and put her, pot and all, into a larger pot with the clay gravel and put her into a top feed recirculating system. She started revegging within 9 days. I let her well and truly start revegging and then took her out of the net pot and cut most of the roots off and repotted her into the larger pot. This hasn't seemed to slow her down one bit.

So, in the tent at the moment I have 2 1st generation clones from one or two of the plants, probably #2 and/or #3 and 2 2nd generation clones from these all in DWC along with the 2 bud clones. There are still a couple of 2nd generation clones lying around and I will keep one of them for a soil grow. What is slightly concerning me is that the two 1st generation clones are showing the same rust patches on the leaves as their parents and I really wish I knew what the cause of it is.

Anyway, here are a couple of pics. The day I harvested #3 and one of her buds.

2_2_9.jpg
16880.jpg
IMG_20170608_161055.jpg
22531.jpg

Cheers old man; It's certainly a lot better than the first harvest :) Had I another 3 WWXBBs in the tent instead of the mystery girl clones it would certainly have been much higher.

I'll try and get a decent pic of the leaves and post it.

I've decided what I'm going to do with the mystery girl greenery I culled; I'm going to make some beer! :party:

I've been brewing beer on and off for over 30 years and have always wanted to make bud beer.

WWXBB#3 smells like fresh hops in the curing jar and it shouldn't be that surprising, although I was surprised, as they are in the same family and share similar terpenes. It was this smell that got me to thinking about making bud beer and dreaming of the days when I have a spare couple of ounces of good bud. I then realised that it didn't have to be top shelf bud as I have loads of green lying around - the 3 mystery girls, and all the trim from the harvest - throw it all in. Yeah, that's what I'm gonna do, make some beer!

If I start this week it will be ready by the end of summer, so I think a nice pale ale will hit the spot.

For the finest flavours you would need to use good flavoured buds. I wish I could throw an ounce or two of the current harvest into it, but ...

I'll certainly let you know how it turns out.

Finally got around to ordering the ingredients for the beer today. It will be an IPA - Indica Pale Ale :)
:party: :party: :party: :party:

It took me so long to get things ordered as I was unable to decarb the weed until today.

Prior to decarboxylating, there were about 4 or 5 ounces of mystery girl immature buds and all foliage (I never bothered weighing it), 4 ounces assorted leaves and 1.5 ounces of WWXBB sugar leaves from bud manicuring and if this isn't enough to give the 40 pints of beer some kick I'll jump in the river.

Interestingly, the the WWXBB sugar leaves in the oven gave off a very strong and pronounced mint smell. In fact, someone walked in the kitchen as it was cooking and asked if I was making mint sauce.

So, yet another noise added to the grow room - the bubbling of the airlock on the fermenter, but that is minor compared to the exhaust fan :)

It is so long since I brewed beer (although I have made alcoholic ginger beer and some awesome blackberry wine recently) that I no longer have the equipment to properly mash the grains so I opted for the easy way out and just got a concentrated IPA kit. I also got some Challenger hops with which to dry hop after 5 days. I'll add all the greenery at the same time and I'm very curious to see how the flavours and aromas combine, but mostly I want to see if I can get whacked from drinking the beer :) Like all good IPAs it will be a strong ale, about 7.5 % ABV, so it will be kick arse no matter what.

I have sampled the brew a few times so far, once before I even bottled it and had about 3 1/2 pints. Due to a few reasons I couldn't measure the the original gravity nor the final gravity so have no idea how strong it is, but it must be higher than 8.5 abv as those first 3 1/2 pints fucked me up good and proper and I only have a fuzzy recall of the sunset of the evening.

As for the cannabis effect on the beer, it has really failed to live up to my expectation. Whilst I understand that THC is not water soluble, I still expected the alcohol content to help extract the THC, but that didn't seem to be the case. Furthermore, there is a lack of any obvious cannabis terpenes in the flavour/aroma profile, but that is hardly surprising as I decarbed all the weed. All in all, I am a little disappointed in the results and really hoped I could extract the cannabinoids into the beer. I guess my next logical step is to make green dragon instead. That being said, I'm almost as bad with beer purity as I am with cannabis growing and even see Guiness as a fake beer as it is not carbonated like a beer naturally would be, but is artificially nitrogenated to create their patent head.

Yeah, I know this an old journal and the grow is well and truly finished, but seeing as I have no journal on my current grow, I thought I'd share some pics of my first indoor soil grow, which is due for harvest any day now. I am super stoked with how the buds developed, so much so that I am going to run at least two of these in soil for the next grow.

This is a clone from #3 in this journal, but this one is showing some gorgeous autumnal colours that the DWC plants just don't have. She may not be as big as the DWC, but I have some clones more advanced than the rest which I will pot, thus ensuring an even canopy with the DWC.

P10007315.JPG

P10007295.JPG

P10007287.JPG

P10007262.JPG

P10007253.JPG

P10007233.JPG

P10007213.JPG

Hope all is well in your world.

Thanks for sharing this grow with us.

Please head over to the 420 Strain Reviews forum and post your smoke report there too.

I’m moving this to Completed Journals now.

Have you started a new grow you would like to share with us?

If so, please feel free to start a new journal here: Journals in Progress

You can use the Report feature found at the bottom left of every post and we'll move it for you right away.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom