My closet garden (first time grower)

Grow4hobby

Hello free thinkers im a first time grower that is getting alot of joyment out of my 2 plants ( i know, huge garden huh) but lack alot of knowledge on the subject (unlike most of you!) I just wanted to show you guys what i have and get feedback on what i can do to improve it. Im open to any criticism and improvement ideas.

First let me tell what i have. I have 2 plants one "backyard brawler" ( i named it that bc i threw some seeds in a hole in the backyard the dogs had dug and not only did it come up, it also escaped my lawnmower) and one sour diesel i got from a rouge seed in a bag i bought. The BB is about a month old or a little over a month and the SD is a week old. I have a flourescent fish tank light and a 225 led grow panel (ebay) strapped together on a 18hr timer. I am using MG organic soil with moss, perlite, sand, and lava rocks in the bottom of the pot. I was using miracle grow with the time release crap but i read on here that it was bad to use so i transplanted it yesterday to the new soil. I know its not good to transplant that much but i wanted to get em out of that soil.
I have BC grow,boost,and bloom that i got in 4oz samplers that i will be using for food. Will this be enough nutrients for me?

I just started feeding a deluted recipe from what the bottle says of BC grow and boost. And ill move the dosage up slowly.
I wish i could grow somewere else but thats my only option right now. Im thinking of making one of my big black tuffy type boxes i used on deployment into some type of grow box. Anyone done this? Let me know what you think and any improvement you have.

DSC02089.JPG

DSC020864.JPG

DSC020872.JPG

DSC020881.JPG

Re: My closet garden ((first time grower))

What's up home-skillet, looking like you're off to a mighty fine start from the looks of it. Make sure you have your temps, PH, and humidity dialed in. The nute part looks like you have a handle on. Check out some grow boxes in members journals here. There are numerous closet designs, even I have a grow box in my closet. A good option is a grow tent, most will fit right in your closet. You can always make your "grow room" too with some supplies from hardware store and some mylar. Happy growing.

P.S. If you could throw up some of your facts, such as room size, lights used, nutes used, temperature, PH, ventilation used, we could add in more specific details tailored to your grow
:goodluck:

Thats one thing i have to look into, Humidity. I have no clue were to start when it comes to that or even how to change what it is. Im in the process right now of building a grow box out of 2 storage trunks. They are the black plastic ones. I was thinking about stacking them on top of eachother and then cutting the top out of one and bottom out of the other and bolting them together . Im looking to be a little discrete when guests are over . Plus i can lie to my old lady about how many i have lol.

Lol nice. I love closet grows, looking good! Thats how I started off, can get great results in a concentrated area. A humidstat or whatever they are called can be bought for 2-5$ or more for a electronic better one - some at walmart that record temps/humidity maxes/mins for 10$ i saw last time .

Keep it up, i'll be checking it out.

How long should i wait to cut the lights off on the BB and move it to 12/12? Bout 2 1/2 months? Its a month old right now.

FYI: That LED panel will do nothing for your grow. You got ripped off on ebay, that whole panel has about 14W total - divide that by 225 diodes and remember you need at least 1W per diode to grow anything.

Do yourself a favor and replace that ASAP by a CFL suited for the veg stage - at least 75W with about 6500K.

Really. Throw that light out - it just takes up space and does nothing for your plant.

[EDIT]: Are those gnat-strips on the soil?

Light is wack huh. I have a 100 w cfl strapped to it now. Atleast it was 30 bucks. So what do u recomend me getting in the led department to suit my little closed op. I love how they put off close to no heat. And i dont want to spend 200$ for it. Kinda strapped for cash right now

Ok update time. I got the plants in my grow box, ditched the ebay light and have 2 26w cfl's hooked up right now.(i konw i need more power but it will come in time.) I am going to add 2 more cfl's as soon as i can get to the store. Probably 2 more that are one step up or 2 more 26's. What do you guys think. And what should i get soft white like what i have now or another type.

I have a hole cut in the bottom on one side were the fan is and one at the top on the other side to keep air flowing and im staying at 76deg right now. Is that how much will 2 more make me go up in temp you think. And what temp is too high. I held my hand over the top of the big plant for about a min and did not get hot at all.

box40.JPG

box_1.JPG

box_22.JPG

Nice grow box dude but I myself would stay with the LED's fo sho. But hey i can't say nada I grow with 420w worth of CFL's but I stil think LED lights are beter quality light from what my friend's plants tell me'

Yeh i would definitly like to get a nice led panel that covers the whole lid of the box in the future just cant do it right now bc of the money. But im going to save up and start my next batch out on one.

Yeh i would definitly like to get a nice led panel that covers the whole lid of the box in the future just cant do it right now bc of the money. But im going to save up and start my next batch out on one.

Nice! Mmmmm ... I'm watchin:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn: what r u thinkin to come up with for da next grow?!

Now i have 4 26w cfl's. 2 at 5500 and 2 at 6500 i beleive. Had to kick my fan up to medium speed bc my temp went up about 6 deg with the 2 new lights. I honestly can't wait until the next grow. I feel like i just started off on the wrong foot with this one. I didn't even plan to start growing when i did. I knew i wanted to eventually but when that plant came up in the backyard i fig hey why not now. That ebay light i bought really stunted my growth. I was moving good , went to that light and no movement for 2 weeks straight. I just feel like ive stressed my plants way too much by changing so many times. I feel like im just starting to get everything dialed in soil,light and nute wise. Im not sure what seeds im going to get for the next anticipated grow but they will definitly be feminized. Have any suggestions on a good plant for my size box. And i have no idea who is good to buy from.

DSC020951.JPG

Nice grow box dude but I myself would stay with the LED's fo sho. But hey i can't say nada I grow with 420w worth of CFL's but I stil think LED lights are beter quality light from what my friend's plants tell me'

Please, don`t make the mistake of believing all LED panels are good. In fact, you get what you pay for - on ebay, you get shit. The minimum wattage per LED must be greater than 1W, and then there`s lots of other factors to consider. You CAN get great lights for 700$, but you can also be ripped off.

If you are unsure, don`t buy LED panels. Do your homework first, read grow journals etc.

@Grow4hobby: You didn`t stress them, it would appear - you just delayed their growth.

Some further hints:
- keep your CFLs as close as possible, maybe add reflectors
- odor control: these babies will stink up everything, including your room
- keep them low - you`ll run out of headroom quickly if you start flowering too late. Read up on cropping and LST.

Thanks so much for the info. I have been wondering. When should i start the flowering stage. Headroom would be a possible issue for me since my box isnt that tall. How many days along do people start flowering. Im going to take your advice and read up some because i have no idea what lst is.

Just put the ole lst on her i (hope). And at 6 tonight turning off the lights and then off to 12/12. The only prob i ran into is the SD is still far away from an 12/12 and i had to move it out of the box. Only 1 light to spare on it right now until i can get some more.

I think this is starting to turn into a journal more than a faq post. More like a what not to do journal lol

Looks good so far, the plant looks healthy and your setup is nice i wouldnt worry too much about stressing it cause it looks fine to me, i currently have a closet grow going to with 4 40w fluorescents four foot bulbs, the first two plants i had died because of bad soil and over fertilizing but now that ive got things dialed in the one i have going now is doing great, keep updating this thread because id like to see how these turn out. The only thing id worry about if i were you is running out of space, you might have to add a third box or something or your plants are going to be growing out the top in no time.
Good luck
:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom