My current grow, advice apreciated

Errik

Hello kind people of 420magazine.

I am a long time reader and finally decided to sign up aswell. I am currently on my first grow and it is done in coco using SCRoG technique. My strain is Super Critial from Green House seed company. Lights used are 600W MH during veg and now 600W HPS for flowering.

Vegetative phase was pretty uneventful but it seems that I am having problems now in flowering.

I am 46 days into flowering and frankly the buds look way too small for that strain that is supposed to be 8 weeks flowering.

Nutrients and substrate are from Canna. I use the whole range. Canna Coco Professional+ coir, Canna Coco A+B, Canna PK13/14, Canna Boost, Rhizotonic, Cannazyme. As you can see from the pictures there is some burn and pale colour of leaves so I have done a little rinsing to get runoff EC ~1.00. My feeding EC is 1.60 and pH 5.8.

I cant really tell if it is nutrient deficincy, toxicity or pH fluctuatuons. My pH probe quit on me few waterings ago but I had a spare probe for the meter. Now that makes me think if it gave me wrong results before it died...

Anyway here are the pictures. Maybe someone can help me.

You can also see a slight defoliation above the net. Last picture is of some of the leaves I took off. I really hope that someone can help me with it and those buds will get bigger, fill out and will give a nice result in the end.

If you have any more question just ask and I will do my best to reply to them as soon as I can.

Kind regards,
Erik

Looks like a pH problem. Flowering doesn't begin when you flip the lights. It starts when the plant starts showing pistils. So you might be two weeks behind what you think it is.

Re: My current grow, advice apreciated.

Peyton,

Thank you very much for your reply mate, it is much apreciated. I Hope that I have rectifid the pH issue by now and they can continue normally. Pistils showed about 8 days after switch to 12/12, this was also when I switched to HPS.

Any further advice is very welcome.

Kind regards,
Erik

Also worth mentioning is that the seeds were initially planted into Canna Terra Professional soil, 2.4 litre pots. Those soil root balls were then transplanted into coco (11l). Are there anything I should do different because of that?

Also what are your picks on Adwa pH and EC testers? I just made 30 liters of nutrient solution and they seemed to act a bit weird so I did a calibration. Before the pH meter did read 6.4, after calibration it was 5.9. EC was 1.26 before, 1.94 after .... now thats a big jump :/

Hello kind people of 420magazine.

I am a long time reader and finally decided to sign up aswell. I am currently on my first grow and it is done in coco using SCRoG technique. My strain is Super Critial from Green House seed company. Lights used are 600W MH during veg and now 600W HPS for flowering.

Vegetative phase was pretty uneventful but it seems that I am having problems now in flowering.

I am 46 days into flowering and frankly the buds look way too small for that strain that is supposed to be 8 weeks flowering.

Nutrients and substrate are from Canna. I use the whole range. Canna Coco Professional+ coir, Canna Coco A+B, Canna PK13/14, Canna Boost, Rhizotonic, Cannazyme. As you can see from the pictures there is some burn and pale colour of leaves so I have done a little rinsing to get runoff EC ~1.00. My feeding EC is 1.60 and pH 5.8.

I cant really tell if it is nutrient deficincy, toxicity or pH fluctuatuons. My pH probe quit on me few waterings ago but I had a spare probe for the meter. Now that makes me think if it gave me wrong results before it died...

Anyway here are the pictures. Maybe someone can help me.

You can also see a slight defoliation above the net. Last picture is of some of the leaves I took off. I really hope that someone can help me with it and those buds will get bigger, fill out and will give a nice result in the end.

If you have any more question just ask and I will do my best to reply to them as soon as I can.

Kind regards,
Erik

Hey Erik,

I grow hydro coco and I also have xp with DTW coco. I think your PPM's are to high. You may also have cal-mag lock out. I personally do not like canna but that's my take. Try a flush or back your nutes down a little. I always use 50-75% the recommended dosage. Also check out Advanced Nutes.... they are pricey but totally worth it and the just released a coco specific grow/bloom and bulker. And the base nutes are PH perfect...they PH your water for you like magic...Its Awesome! Pretty fool proof, good luck broski

Hey guys. Thanks for chiming in and leaving your advice :)

Lately I have discovered that my EC meter tends to lie a bit aswell. I mix a solution, measure EC: 1.42 and then calibrate. After calibration EC: 1.80. This leads me to belive that I have been overfeeding aswell.

Defoliation seems nice but I dont think its that good of and idea with what I have going on right now. I'll let them grow out and improve with next grow.

For next grow I plan on using AN nutes aswell, yes, because they come highly recommended. Price is about as same as Canna, might even say cheaper.

Kind regards,
Erik

Hey guys. Thanks for chiming in and leaving your advice :)

Lately I have discovered that my EC meter tends to lie a bit aswell. I mix a solution, measure EC: 1.42 and then calibrate. After calibration EC: 1.80. This leads me to belive that I have been overfeeding aswell.

Defoliation seems nice but I dont think its that good of and idea with what I have going on right now. I'll let them grow out and improve with next grow.

For next grow I plan on using AN nutes aswell, yes, because they come highly recommended. Price is about as same as Canna, might even say cheaper.

Kind regards,
Erik

Hey Erik,

Since you said you plan on using AN, google Dans Discount Advanced Nutrients. Every 4th item is free. I dont run the entire line, I run the coco base, coco big bud, and kandy. That being said in 4L containers with those nutes I just saved 3 bills.... smoking deal no pun haha. Free shipping too

A few things I would suggest. You don't need all those nutrients. Period. Using H3AD's or LUCA's formula would produce the same or superior results. Once you have a grow under your belt, then you can start adding and removing nutrients. You need a high quality PH meter, and you need to calibrate it. I calibrate mine EVERY SINGLE feeding. More expensive ones, such as Bluelab combo or Guardian, can be calibrated once a month, but I would still check it once a week.

You could also vastly improve your ventilation, and CO2 intake by putting your Carbon Filter inside the tent. This allows your tent to be under negative air pressure. Sucking in substantial amounts of air from outside of the tent. If you can't have it in the tent, then you need it to have it outside, on the bulb side of your cooltube. Leaving one end of the cooltube open, to create the negative air pressure in the tent.

GreenHouseSeeds also don't have the best genetics. Don't fall for the hype. They win a lot, but have also been caught bribing judges. Many of their strains yield nothing close to what they claim. I am not saying it's bag seed, far from it. It's just not as good as other companies out there in terms of overall potency and yield. Sometimes quality medicine, just won't be a big yielder.

I would say they also don't look too small. Not all strains are done in 8 weeks, and they really pack on weight in their last three weeks of life. Some strains can take 10-12 weeks (like Blue Dream and Killing Fields). It all depends. There is nothing wrong letting it go 10 weeks if it needs too.

I would back down the EC, make sure the PH is exactly 5.8, and just go with the basic Canna formula. You do not need all the additives. Wait until you are more experinced. Keep the basic formula, and reduce the "extras", until you have a lower EC.

I run my plants at 700 PPM on a 0.5 scale, sometimes I will go up to 800.

Back
Top Bottom