My DIY air carbon scrubber

Hobopr0

ok so anyone who's seen my posts (look me up) knows that im strapped for cash! so im now 6 days into 12/12 (after almost 3 months of veg), the smell is getting stronger so i had to figure it out so here's my ghetto diy air carbon scrubber set up using what i had laying around the house. not very pretty but it has to be better than nothing! waiting to get the funds for a real set up.

(1) vortex fan
(1) animal (dog) neck cone: used to keep the dog from getting to her wound, just had the new puppy spayed so just used this as an adapter)

(1) flexible rain gutter
(1) clorox sanitary wipes container: i drilled a bunch of holes in this.
(1) aluminum tape
activated carbon from stolen from my aquarium supplies

basically, just drilled a bunch of holes in the clorox sanitary wipes container, filled with activated carbon and some filter batting, connected this to the flexible rain gutter, which is connected to the funnel/cone (from dog), and taped it to the back of the vortex fan! anyone familiar with the Vortex desk fans knows that it's rather strong so hopefully it has the cfm's to be able to scrub the air. did a basic test blowing my vapor from my ecig and it's working!

as u can see, i just stuck the carbon filter into the vent port and have the fan sitting outside on top of the tent, propping up the venting on a tissue box.

cant get more ghetto than this but it'll have to do! stay tuned to see how much this actually works.

:Namaste:
20160208_103212.jpg
20160208_103218.jpg

Did you spend about half a day poking holes in the container with your drill?
:goodjob:
Great job! Glad it's working for you.

Best of Buds

JB
:Namaste:

it works but i needed to remove some of the filter material to give the fan as much of an advantage as possible u know? will probably leave it out completely the next if i have to change the charcoal but i hope that ill have a real system by then. it's waaaay better than nothing..it absolutely does suck up as i test using my vape pen. i also just shoved a small desk fan that fits perfectly into the vent hole at the bottom of the tent.

you could try putting another, smaller diameter container, in the centre of that one with holes drilled similarly, and carbon in-between them with the fan connected to the central channel; that would make it more like a commercial filter, with a central channel for the air to gather in after being pulled thru the carbon.

also, it would make the suction come from the centre of the unit rather than where the connection is, which could result in a better scrub, since you're for sure going through the couple inches of carbon, rather than possibly just being sucked in close to the connection.

you could try putting another, smaller diameter container, in the centre of that one with holes drilled similarly, and carbon in-between them with the fan connected to the central channel; that would make it more like a commercial filter, with a central channel for the air to gather in after being pulled thru the carbon.

also, it would make the suction come from the centre of the unit rather than where the connection is, which could result in a better scrub, since you're for sure going through the couple inches of carbon, rather than possibly just being sucked in close to the connection.

well....:high-five: actually, the container used was actually my center core for my larger outside container.
20160116_161242.jpg

problem was that i didnt have enough charcoal to fill it up so just figured id used it this way for the time being. and didnt know if the fan would be able to pull well enough.i was also thinking of adding a center core to this if i can find something to use...any suggestions for my never ending budget setup?!

the drain pipe fits pretty well, it'd be good to use that as the centre.

maybe a double layer of panty hose wrapped around the white container and stuffed full of carbon; pressure fitted and taped like crazy to the drain pipe.
or you could get creative with cardboard around the container and chop off the top and bottom of that clear bottle to seal and connect it to the pipe with tape.

or if you wanna use the white container as the exterior body, get a length of drain pipe or PVC to fit the hose and fill that with holes and wrap it in panty hose in the centre, attached directly to the hose.

i used wire mesh and panty hose on mine, haha, so i know they work well for keeping that stuff in place. I should have used a double layer tho.

:thumb:

well dammit, it looks like the fan is dead.....after hearing some screeching it finally seized up. tried taking apart and relubing but to no avail. looks like ill be shopping for a fan/scrubber. was thinking of going for a 4" set up but think 6" will be better in the long run. saw a few combo set ups on amazon....

any suggestions?

damn.

depends on the size of your tent. Im in a 4x4 (104 cu/ft) and use a 6" 160 CFM with no worries on my DIY scrubber so far, almost 5 weeks into flower and no smell in my place at all. (unless i open the tent of course)

4" may be ok, but you may also want the extra power of the 6"; also, the larger the fan is, the quieter it runs, because the blades move slower. My 6" is quiet, i can't hear anything until the ballast turns on.

Home Hardware or Home Depot or Rona or whatever you got nearby should sell 4, 5, and 6" inline duct fans, but anything larger than a 4x4 tent and i'd looking into something a bit more purpose-oriented and maybe with a fan controller just in case.

all 3 sizes were about $35 in my area

damn.

depends on the size of your tent. Im in a 4x4 (104 cu/ft) and use a 6" 160 CFM with no worries on my DIY scrubber so far, almost 5 weeks into flower and no smell in my place at all. (unless i open the tent of course)

4" may be ok, but you may also want the extra power of the 6"; also, the larger the fan is, the quieter it runs, because the blades move slower. My 6" is quiet, i can't hear anything until the ballast turns on.

Home Hardware or Home Depot or Rona or whatever you got nearby should sell 4, 5, and 6" inline duct fans, but anything larger than a 4x4 tent and i'd looking into something a bit more purpose-oriented and maybe with a fan controller just in case.

all 3 sizes were about $35 in my area

yeah thanks.. after reading more, makes sense in leaning towards the 6" set up w/controller as you have to also keep noise levels down since the tent is in my bedroom. any suggestions on brand? my ideal is to order off amazon prime and seen a few brands but not sure which is more favorable...

well, i just use a hardware store fan, i think most of them are identical, i think suncourt? is the name on most of those ones around here.

but for the more professional vortex fans, i have no idea about brand names, sorry.

20160223_191437.jpg

up and running again...remembered that i had this fan sitting in the closet so another temp fix until i get the real deal fan/scrubber..still gotta be better than nothing since i did have a noticeable amount of smell since it broke down..:phew:

Back
Top Bottom