My drug test strategy

Yoginator

420 Member
I work as a CDL driver subject to annual and random drug screens. So this has caused me to smoke very little. But with the proliferation of edibles Im thinking if I ever busted a test Im going to claim I was at a gathering with tables full of food and only after I ate a couple of brownies was I informed by the host that they were contaminated with pot. Oops.

Oops, you have a nice long break from work, lol? It looks like, if you are subject to DOT testing rules, you are actually expected to be responsible for your own body. It also looks like it's legally out of the business owner's hands when a positive result occurs, you're supposed to be benched immediately. And to be required to complete the DOT Return to Duty process. I'd guess that to include counseling, "education," and the ability to produce a clean specimen on demand. I'm guessing the insurance would require all that anyway, assuming the employer uses one (or the company bean counters, if the entity is self-insured).

Probably a little less leeway in the trucking industry than if you were to fail a test while working at Bud's Burritos, where the boss could (in theory) just toss the results.

I am not a truck driver, and could be wrong. But if I was a truck driver, I'd have something a whole lot more substantial to pull out of my hat... than an excuse. I mean... You know what happens if you're drunk because you weren't aware that the bartender was mixing your drinks extra strong, and you get pulled over by LEO? Yep - you still win the DUI :rolleyes: . Receiving assistance is not the automatic DQ that it would be in most sports :rofl:.

I’m sure you are correct in regards to DOT policy. Truck drivers are already in crazy demand and when companies start losing highly trained quality employees they may implore DOT to study the issue as to when a person is actually impaired versus just having a arbitrary minuscule amount of pot in their system which may have been ingested weeks ago. I have been smoking for nearly 50 years and have never been so stoned to be unable to safely drive. I may forget the keys though. But that’s me; others may fare differently.

You use the analogy of alcohol and being aware that the drug is being ingested. That’s valid because alcohol has physical effects that pot doesn’t. A non smoker could possibly ingest thc accidentally and not even know it. Not to say that would obviate the requirement for DOT action. But how long will companies and society as a whole put up with the expense and inequity involved in punishing users of a soon to be legal and largely harmless drug?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this. This will be a very interesting 2019 for weed.

Over 20 years ago and a Lumber Mill and not the DOT (DOT probably even worse), but folks tried that or "2nd hand smoke" and were told choose 1. go to rehab 2. be fired, as their point of view was "well then you shouldn't hang around those kind of people as it is still your fault". Being illegal on the Fed level they can pretty much make whatever rules they want as not much for leeway (or least 20 years ago, I been away from random employer tests for over 7 years now).

I’m sure you are correct

Oh no, I'm not even sure of that, lol.

I'm of the opinion that a little bud now and then ought to be mandatory for a job that consists in large part of living in a small box, eating food from whichever restaurant has the... qualities that are most needed (IOW, room for parking LARGE vehicles and the permission to do so), interactions with crazy four-wheeler drivers and others who may not be having their best day ever, et cetera.

Sadly, the government has a different stance/opinion.

Dumbest excuse I've ever heard. Change careers or get clean. There is zero tolerance, it doesn't matter what wild excuse you give. My second piece of advice is get your next move in order because you are just rolling the dice.

Simple.

I was a truck driver for many years. Carried a "A" (10 wheels or more) and "B" Smoked everyday for years, but NEVER on the job. Now each employer has different standers when it come to "random testing". If your boss doesn't like you, all of a sudden your "random tested" 3 months in a row. Random? I don't think so. Or you have a company that's so cheap, they don't "random test" you unless you get in a accident.
Now, if you're "random tested" how strict is the company.... is there a time frame to do you thing? Do they follow you into the john when you piss? Many questions.
I was once in an accident and the police office wanted me to piss right there behind the bushes. Fortunately, my boss was there and told him our HR would handle it. Still had to take a piss test, but I could go on my own and I ALWAYS carried synthetic urine with me. Nobody was holding my hand when I pissed, so long story short, I passed.
And that accident I was in, it wasn't my fault at all. The police said if I didn't take any action to try and avoid from T-boner her, she would be dead.
But YOU have to make the choice.....good luck.

AzLaker
:cool:

Back
Top Bottom