My DWC smells horrible first time adding nutes to clean water

Kush Cough

Yesterday I added my first dose of Grow Nutes (General Organics Biothrive Vegan Plant food) to my DWC. Its directions were to add two teaspoons of nutes per gallon of water. So I added the nutes and my PPM was 275 which was just where I wanted it to be according to the chart im following. I am using RO/DI water which has a low PH and 0 PPM. When I woke up this morning and entered the closet grow room it smelt horrible. Investigating I lifted the lid to my 20 gallon plastic tub and it was where the smell was coming from. There is a pump splashing water at the lid(which I thought was a good idea to get roots wet now I see its not) which is causing the nutes to foam up at the top of the water. I will remove it but could this pump be causing the smell. Whats going on here? Any experience with this or constructive ideas very appreciated.

Foam in a GO reservoir probably means rampant microbial growth. Is your pH plummeting?

I have read that some aeration methods promote this and that is why many do not recommend GO for DWC.

Organic material can not be absorbed by roots until it has been processed by microbes. If you do not add beneficial microbes to your water, then you are providing an empty food filled home for harmful microbes. The foam and the smell confirm that your res is now a rotting soup.

You can either learn how to breed and apply beneficial microbes to your water, or you can go with chem nutes, or you can put up with a smelly gunky res and hope the roots don't become diseased. BTW, after organic material gets broken down by microbes it turns into chemical fertilizer, which is why, in a hydro setup, most people skip the headache and just go with chem to begin with. Save the organics for soil and similar.

If you want to learn a bit about beneficial microbes, I have a post here.

Back
Top Bottom