arrigonfr

Hello everyone, I’m trying to grow some plants for the first time in an indoor (I grew one before outside), so I’m going to need some help along the process.

First:
I have a 24”x24”x63” tent, Apollo evolution 6 lights, a portable fan and an extractor (not using a carbon filter yet).

I’ve been germinating my seeds for 2 days, a Mexican Sativa (Sensi Seeds) and a Bubba’s Gift (Humboldt). I might plant them tonight or tomorrow.

For the time being, my tent is lit up inside because I’m trying to regulate humidity before I put my plants in there. All I have in my tent is 2 little plastic tuppers with wet sponges and extra water, but the humidity’s still at about 25% (it was close 40% before I turned on my lights, fan and extractor)... so this is my first problem, if anyone has any idea of what I could do to raise humidity please reply this post, my plants and I will appreciate it. Specially since I was trying to grow a Northern Lights last week and the lack of humidity killed her in just a few hours while I was at work.

Oh, for some additional information:
I’m located in Santiago de Chile, current outside temperature is about 88•F.

Photos for now:
470F9866-D41B-4E90-9C30-614FB84AA054.jpeg

A1E95795-A759-4FEC-BC52-3798EAFF270D.jpeg

D73AC93F-FB9D-472C-82CD-364E17A40EB8.jpeg

2E483E1B-82FA-414A-BBB5-13575B9A2A40.jpeg

Welcome to 420mag!! This is a wonderful community with all the advice and knowledge you will need. I recommend you get a small humidifier without a internal thermostat, and connect to a humidity controller of some sort. I use a inkbird, works great, they are around $35 on amazon. Very easy to maintain humidity this way with very little fluctuation. Its a pain in the ass using wet towels, bowls, sponges ect.

My seeds provider said he wants to coach me, I sent those pictures to him and he said humidity’s low because U have no plants in there, that once I put my plants there humidity will go up when I water them, but I’m not so sure and kinda think maybe he wants my plants to die so I’ll have to come back and buy more seeds from him.
I went to a different grow shop today and the girl there told me she has an indoor and she never regulates humidity or water ph (I don’t trust her either).
I might wait until tomorrow to plant my seeds when I come home from work, and just grab a small humidifier, I really don’t want these plants to fail.

if I succeed at this attempt, by the time spring starts I’ll plant 2 more seeds I have in store (OG Kush and Royal AK), and get a Purple Queen and an Afghani Kush, and practice mainlining on those.

So the truth is yes your humidity will go up when you have plants in there. The moisture in the soil will evaporate into the air which will cause humidity. My humidity when I was in veg was about 70 to 65% I did not have any issues with molding.

There are some grow mediums where you do not have to pH the water. I'm using one on my organic side of my tent, all you have to do is feed it three times throughout entire grow, and water with un pH water.
As far as the issue with not pH in your water , there are some liquid nutes like Advanced Nutrients pH perfect line that usually get your water very close to what your plant needs. On the other hand I still would at least check ph regardless cuz you don't want a lockout.

So the truth is yes your humidity will go up when you have plants in there. The moisture in the soil will evaporate into the air which will cause humidity. My humidity when I was in veg was about 70 to 65% I did not have any issues with molding.

There are some grow mediums where you do not have to pH the water. I'm using one on my organic side of my tent, all you have to do is feed it three times throughout entire grow, and water with un pH water.
As far as the issue with not pH in your water , there are some liquid nutes like Advanced Nutrients pH perfect line that usually get your water very close to what your plant needs. On the other hand I still would at least check ph regardless cuz you don't want a lockout.

I use BioBizz Light Mix Substrate, the specs say:
- Peat Moss
- Perlite
- EC: 1.2
- pH: 6.2

So technically it has the right ph, I’m just thinking about keeping my water at the right ph also, so I won’t raise the substrate ph with my water.

Yes the humidity will increase as you get more/larger plants in there, they exhale water. Unless your under 40% it's not really necessary but a humidifier can be helpful until they get bigger.

I'm not familiar with that particular medium, if it also contains some amount of lime then it's designed to buffer your inputs in which case pH'ing your nutrient solution probably isn't necessary unless your source water is way out of wack.

Yes the humidity will increase as you get more/larger plants in there, they exhale water. Unless your under 40% it's not really necessary but a humidifier can be helpful until they get bigger.

I'm not familiar with that particular medium, if it also contains some amount of lime then it's designed to buffer your inputs in which case pH'ing your nutrient solution probably isn't necessary unless your source water is way out of wack.

Hello,

I read somewhere that during vegetative stage the right humidity should be between 70 & 78%. Please tell me if that is correct.

Also, I really think I have to get that humidifier, today my tent’s humidity has been in the 23-37% range. And a few days ago a had a plant die in just 10 hours inside the tent.

The thing is, in Chile the weather is to dry, and although summer is about to end, the temperatures still range between 68-90 Fahrenheit.

Update: I just planted my seeds, the roots were about half an inch long. I know I could’ve waited longer, but I did that on my previous attempt, and one of my plants never even showed cotyledons, I think I mishandled the seed while planting that time.
Also I put my freshly planted seeds in my tent (with fan and extractor on, lights off) so I can keep better track of humidity, it’s night time so it should go up naturally, lights will go on maybe 2 hours before I leave for work tomorrow, so that will give me an approximate number so I can choose whether to keep them in there for tomorrow or leave them outside while I get some climate control equipment.

Oh, by the way:
Current outside temperature is 80 F.
Humidity in tent: 32% when I closed it. I will check in about 2-3 hours and see if it has changed.
5727E665-09E8-459D-A831-CBEBBEC411EB.jpeg

If you've got a safe place to keep them they don't need much as far as light goes for a few days. It may be safer to keep them outside versus potentially baking them inside.

Alright, so I went in to check and humidity was only up to 35%, this is with my watered pots, 2 tuppers with water, and only the portable fan and extractor on.
That wasn’t so encouraging when I know that tomorrow, during the day the outer temperature is going to be a lot higher than tonight, and if I start my lights and zip up my tent, then I’ll come back to 2 pots with 1 little dry root each.
So I’m following your advice and leaving my pots outside for the night. Tomorrow is another day.

Well, I’m off for now, catch you all tomorrow.

I would consider a humidifier but I can't say it is necessary. It would be most beneficial at the earliest stages. Mine was like $25 on amazon. I regulate my humidity by having the exhaust fan kick on at high humidity or temp.

I ended up buying one for my bedroom too. Hahaha

Welcome! I'm in for this and front row :popcorn:

If you can get a large (tall) clear container and put it over the plants. It will create humidity in there. Plants uptake water through their leaves until they can establish a root system. See pic for what I did and the moisture inside. The can is for size comparison. I also set the plants where they are on purpose. I wanted a sealed environment so I could take the container off for air exchange.
20191109_171657[1].jpg

Hello,

I forgot to write earlier.
Today, as I was getting ready to leave for work, I sprayed my pots in the middle, which is where the seeds are, and also I added more water around the middle so they will have enough water for the day, specially since they were going to be alone for about 9 hours and there will be some strong sunlight today.
I’m still trying to get a humidifier, just trying to get a small one though. If I can’t get one I’ll jus do as @Edzzed says.

Before leaving my plants for the day, I noticed that Bubba’s Gift already got rid of its seed shell, even though I still can’t see any sprouts, which is logical since I had planted them just about 12 hours earlier.

I didn’t lift the shell though, because I don’t wanna risk mishandling something.

Sorry about not posting pictures, there really wasn’t much to see.

Alright I’m back from work for my afternoon update.

Like I said earlier, my Bubba’s Gift has released its shell and now I can actually see the sprout coming out of the soil.
What I found weird is the shell and the sprout aren’t so close, so it looks like it literally spit it out :laugh:. You can actually see both things in this photo, if you focus enough.
CBCA0633-822F-4D47-A17B-8C58E6387F02.jpeg

As for my Mexican Sativa, I need to give it a little more time. I’m pretty sure that tomorrow morning it will sprout.

Hello everyone.
This is day 2 since I planted my seeds.

Bubba’s Gift is starting to grow beautifully.
In this photo, if you look down a little you can see the seed shell, however it still looks like she has “the inner part of the shell?” on her cotyledons, but that’s ok.
ED9306BD-DA85-4EE4-B4FD-2F385FA8A8DB.jpeg

Now, my Mexican Sativa is a different story. Last night, I could already see the shell outside of the substrate, which made me think she was following on her sister’s footsteps, but that’s all I can see so far.
On one hand I know I should wait a bit longer, on the other hand I think I should be seeing a sprout by now, and the shell that came out isn’t completely open (like Bubba’s).
Frankly I’m starting to worry about this one, specially since she comes from Sensi Seeds (a bank I don’t really trust, just like Pyramid Seeds).
57305879-A862-4D7E-806C-9899648F7A94.jpeg

Ok guys, my previous post was at 10am, it’s now 3pm (I’m working from home today).

In just these 5 hours I can see that my little Bubba’s Kush has grown a few millimeters
D33842B8-7171-435F-BC2F-67D95CD4DA76.jpeg

Now, when it comes to my Mexican Sativa, I was getting worried, so I used a pencil to remove some of the substrate around the area where I planted the seed, and what I found is in the picture below, seems like she’s just slower than her sister, looks like it tried to go sideways instead of up. But I can see the cotyledons starting to form, I hope she isn’t just teasing me.
FCEFB7A6-D5E0-44C6-8D0E-63EF506FAB5A.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom