My First DWC Grow - Unknown Strain

So when I checked my ph ect I noticed a smell. Dont wanna say odor but it may be. Is this normal? Waters barely a week old. And the roots just broke through yesterday. I have z7 on the way. Thank You guys/gals. :)

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Mine usually has a smell like a musty basement, or wet clay. How do your roots look? Are they white? Any slime? Temps high?

They are white. I don't see slime. The temp was 73 yesterday. but I know it's went down. It's gotten cold here. Will recheck and post. Just checked. 66 degrees. Too cold?

Day 8 since I put seedling germinated in a rapid router into hydroton strainer. 4 white roots.
420-magazine-mobile1548071783.jpg

Shouldn't have a problem with those temps, nor this early in. IDK, what does it smell like?

My girlfriend said sewage or sour water. But I don't think it smells like that. Never smelled this smell before.

Thats unusual for this early. I have a plant at about the same growth level and my bucket just smells like water. I'm stumped.
To me it seems like the air in the bucket. Not the water. After you take the lid off and wait a min you can't smell it. Plus I touched the water and smelled my hand and it smells normal.
Adding a few more pics. I added the 20 gal tub a few days after the buckets. No smell in the tub. It has less air. Using two 100 watt led bulbs per plant. 5000k. Using a Y. This is temporary till I order another mh/hps light.
420-magazine-mobile1988320273.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1265195373.jpg
420-magazine-mobile2082014914.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Ok. I couldn't sleep. Got up to check to see if the smell is still there. Yes it is. Also looked in buckets and at the water line there's brown stuff. Not sure if it's slime or not. Took two pics. Water temp 63. The brown stuff doesn't smell.
420-magazine-mobile111167716.jpg
420-magazine-mobile954928908.jpg

I get that too. I think it is a combination of clay and nutrient salts.

Agreed, I had that layer of build-up my first grow because I didn't wash the Hydroton thoroughly before putting it into the net pots. Lots of brownish/orange gunk. It is extremely unlikely that the build-up is organic (aka rot or slime) because there simply has not been enough time (or enough roots) for something like that to develop.

Your girls look happy and healthy, keep up the good work! :goodjob:

This got me to thinking. I've been using the same hydroton for three years, so if it was clay wouldn't I be losing hydroton? Well I'm not. So a while back I did half of a grow as an experiment using the full 4ml/L that AN recommends. In looking back at my log books I found a foot note that mentions the brown crust being much heavier in that bucket at water changes, and having to use a scotch bright pad to clean it off.

Fast forward mode for my old brain cells, but I'm thinking in bubble buckets that is just nutrient salts condensing on the sides of the bucket. As for your smell...changed socks lately? :rofl:

Day nine pic of both plants in buckets.
420-magazine-mobile1572813534.jpg
420-magazine-mobile505806038.jpg

I am amazed at how big and fast these are growing. I bought another pump and now have two air stones per bucket. 6 inch wide ,10 Day old seedling. Guess she's a plant now. :)
420-magazine-mobile209176116.jpg

Just wait man. When those roots start to fill out in the bucket these things will take off like rockets when you have stuff on point. I've had like 3-4 inches a day of height gain and super fast lateral growth consistently. I wonder what the max a plant can grow in a day is. Is there like a cap to that? Any smart folks in here know that off the tops of their heads without me having to do a Google search?

Ok. As you know this is my first DWC hydro grow. I just can't believe how fast and big these are growing. Do you all think this is indica?
Oh. The smell went away after adding anothèr pump and two stones per bucket. I think it was stagnet air. The whole water surface has bubbles now. Before some was very still towards the side.
Posting another pic. One days diff is amazing. The roots are growing too. Will post a pic of those sometime.
Day 11
420-magazine-mobile352057577.jpg
420-magazine-mobile563520044.jpg

I raised the light up to try and get it to grow upwards. Its resting on the lid. Lol
Ph 6.0
Ppm 380
Water Temp 66
Air temp 79
Does it look Ok?
420-magazine-mobile1234245042.jpg

Back
Top Bottom