My First Grow! DWC - GSC & Sour Sage - The Grow Tent

Doom

Hi Friends! Welcome to my first grow!​

I'm very new to this, no experience infact. All the choices I make come from blog posts and YouTube videos. If you see me doing something obviously wrong, please let me know. On the other hand if you see me doing something right, I'd also love to know as I have no experience.

So here's the plan: Grow in DWC, with all environmental factors and required nutrients being precisely controlled.

I've spent a bunch of time (and money) putting together a tent that fits my space and will be good for the plants.
So without further delay, here's the setup:

1x VivoSun tent (4X2)
2x Mars Hydro 480W dual mode lights (They were reasonably cheap and had good reviews)
1x 4" inline fan with carbon filter
4x 6" fans to keep the air in the tent moving
1x Inkbird humidity control unit
1x Inkbird temperature control unit
1x 900w-1500w heater to keep temps up (I'm in Canada and it's winter)
4x 4" airstones
1x PPM meter
1x PH meter
1x Hydrofarm air pump 15-LPM
1x set of seedling trays with domes
1x heating mat (didn't need this)
1x Honeywell 1 gallon humidifier
1x 60w (I think) 'full spectrum' led for sprouting.

Additionally a couple of power bars, good extension cords, a time for the lights and 50 or so zip ties.

So without further delay...
The grow tent:

IMG_3993_2_.jpg

Mr fist grow! DWC - GSC & Sour Sage (The seedlings)

SEEDLINGS!!! FINALLY!!

Ok so this is slightly embarrassing.
The seedlings you see here are attempt number 3 to get seeds to sprout. 3!!!!

Yeah, I thought I was cursed at the start of it all.
I ordered a 4 pack of White widow X Big bud from GYO seeds via the interwebs. They arrived a couple weeks later in a cel phone case called 'Crafty Fox'. I considered this to be possibly the coolest thing ever and figured everything would be smooth sailing. With the help of YouTube I decided the best way to sprout 3 seeds was to put them between wet paper towel with a bit of microryza. Then put them on a heating mat in a dark place and wait.

Nothing happened. Literally. Nothing.
Why?

Maybe it was too hot and the seeds got cooked.
Maybe (It was December when I got them) they were frozen and thawed a few times in transit.
Maybe someone with an xray machine let them have it.
In the end. I'll probably never know.

So I went to my local seed store here in Toronto 'Sacred Seed' and bought 3 Sour Sage.
The older.. what I can only describe as a man who gives the impression of an irritated wizard... let me know that the Sour Sage had been sitting around for 5-6 months.
I mentioned that the reason I was there was because of seeds not sprouting and the whole process was getting expensive. The old wizard reached into his sleeve (draw) and took out a pack of "Canuk Cookies" from Canuk seeds. He explained they were GSC (Girl Scout Cookies) by a local farm and were nice and fresh.
He said they were samples that they reserve for difficult customers but I could have them in hopes they would work for me.
I think it was a nice way of saying that he knew I would fail a few times and didn't want me to break the bank. I figured this pissed off old wizard was actually pretty cool so I told him to keep the change and buy a coffee. He said he'd throw it in the pot they use for idiots who think they don't have to pay tax.
I left when he was ranting angrily about that.

So I came home. Put 2 Sour Sage and my 1 left over WWBB in some RO water to soak for 16 or so hours and then when they had sprouted a little put them on some wet paper towel between two plates on the heating mat.

2 days later nothing happened. So I took off the top plate to give them some air.
They dried out over 24 hours and were as good as dead. (despite my attempts to bring them back)

Next I took 2 SS and 1 GSC and did the same thing but without taking off the plate. They also died.

So it must be the heating mat? Right??
RIGHT!!!

I took my remaining SS and 2 GSC and put them in RO water for about 16-18 hrs until they had little roots, then put them between paper towel and put that between two plates. Then put them in the tent which was about 22c where they were sitting and 2 days late the 1 GSC had an inch long root!

I soaked a peat plug, cut its side in half then opened it up, put in the seed and let it close.
Then I put it in the seedling tray, cut up a little peat and put it over the hole as it wouldn't pull closed and put it under the 60w LED with the LED at a distance of about 8" and the tent at 25c.

The next say the other two seeds had roots. (IT WORKED!!!! I WAS SO WORRIED)
I did the same thing and put them all under the LED.

A day later and the GSC (The one in the middle) was an inch tall.
The other two were just pushing off the loose peat at this point.

The next day and the middle GSC was 2" and was some tiny leaves.

The next day and the other two seeds were about an inch tall and the middle GSC had large leaves.
BUT they were starting to curl at the edges.

I dropped the heat down to 22.5c and raised the light to about 14" above the seedling tray.
All has looked good for the next 2 days.

Fast forward to today. The seedlings are 5 days old and have been on nothing but RO water which is at 5.8 with 8PPM.
I've decided to give them a little taste of what they will be eating while in the DWC. Over the next few days as the roots develop I want to change their conditions to match the DWC so when I move them they will have as little stress as possible.

I've decided on Advance Nutrients for my grow and mixed up the following:
3.5l of RO water (PH6).
1ml of Micro
1ml of Grow
1ml of VooDoo Juice
1ml of Microbial Munch (Why isn't this on their website anymore? I might write and ask)
-----------
This all breaks down to a solution that is 100PPM and PH5.6 (A bit lower PH than I wanted (6) but I'll leave it)

And that's where we are! More updates in a few days. As soon as they have another set of leaves (you can see them) and some decent roots we will start them in the DWC!

Current stats:
Air Temp: Aprox 25c
H2O Temp: Aprox 25c
Humidity: 65%
PPM: 100
PH: 5.6
Light: 18/6

(Two on the left are GSC and the short one on the right is the SS (which has huge roots already!))
IMG_399617.jpg

Nothing I have is sponsored, I bought everything I mention because I thought it was a good idea. As you can see, sometimes I'm wrong.

re: My First Grow! DWC - GSC & Sour Sage - The Grow Tent

Brother good luck trying hydro when u have zero experience. I hope u really can make it,but there are so many variables in rwdc it's not funny. Start out growing in a dirt medium so u will at least have a harvest to harvest for sure. Only reason I say this is I've seen a lot of people be in the middle waste all that money and then see them lose their plants. Root rot is usually the main reason. And just cause u use stuff to fix or prevent it don't mean u won't get it . I wish u the best of luck honestly. But for yourself put u a couple plants in dirt so u least got something

Aww almost forgot . I have the same lights . They do well . But they will burn the shit out your plant if your not careful .

I'm subbed in Doom! I'm planning my first DWC soon so I'm eager to learn with you.

Hey Doom I've lerked on many completed journals and will take this opportunity to participate in a new journal. I also started in DWC and think it's a great medium to start in as long as your organized and attentive. I also had the hardest time sprouting seeds at first, glad they worked out. Your setup looks nice and there is room for all 3 plants nicely. I diddo on buying hydroguard . It will protect your roots from rot and keep em healthy. I will be following along. GL. Oh yeah I'm also doing GSC for next grow in fee months.

Thanks for the advice! I really appreciate it. I'm kinda set on trying DWC at this point. Lots on hand to smoke while I see what happens so not too worried about making harvest. If it all falls over, catches fire then drowns I will be 100% following your advice. For now though. Onward into uncharted waters! Thanks for the advice though, I appreciate it.

THOSE ROOTS!!!

100PPM of awesome!
Look at the root growth over 1 day!!

To sum up, I added some Advanced Nutrients to the RO to give our little friends something to snack on until they get to the buffet of the DWC

The mixture I mentioned before:
3.5l of RO water (PH6).
1ml of Micro
1ml of Grow
1ml of VooDoo Juice
1ml of Microbial Munch (Advanced Nutrient wrote back, see more below)
-----------
This all breaks down to a solution that is 100PPM and PH5.6 (A bit lower PH than I wanted (6) but I'll leave it)

The roots went from non-existant to over an inch.

Except for the Sour Sage (SS)
Look at that root! In 24hrs? Wow! Didn't expect that.

I'm now wondering if it's time for the SS to head to the DWC. The roots are actually a bit big for the seedling tray!
I'm going to give it another 12 hours and see how it looks, if those leaves have grown a bit more and the root is even larger I think it's DWC time for this one.

Thanks for the comments so far, going to forge ahead with DWC and see where it takes me and will look into the "Hydroguard" that was mentioned.

Again, I'm new to all this so please, give me your wisdom and words.

Also, I said I would write to Advanced Nutrients and ask them why 'Microbial Munch' wasn't on their site anymore (And if I should still use it).
They said, "It is a fantastic product, you can run it alongside Voodoo Juice, Tarantula and Piranha on the weeks those products run in order to boost the colonies of beneficial microbes."
So basically it is food for the root building nutrients? That's what I'm getting from that. Works for me! And seems to work for the plant so it can stay.

Here are the roots:
(Sorry for the lack of color correction)
IMG_399916.jpg

And here are the seedlings today:
IMG_399712.jpg

THOSE ROOTS!!!

100PPM of awesome!
Look at the root growth over 1 day!!

To sum up, I added some Advanced Nutrients to the RO to give our little friends something to snack on until they get to the buffet of the DWC

The mixture I mentioned before:
3.5l of RO water (PH6).
1ml of Micro
1ml of Grow
1ml of VooDoo Juice
1ml of Microbial Munch (Advanced Nutrient wrote back, see more below)
-----------

The roots went from non-existant to over an inch.

Except for the Sour Sage (SS)
Look at that root! In 24hrs? Wow! Didn't expect that.

I'm now wondering if it's time for the SS to head to the DWC. The roots are actually a bit big for the seedling tray!
I'm going to give it another 12 hours and see how it looks, if those leaves have grown a bit more and the root is even larger I think it's DWC time for this one.

Thanks for the comments so far, going to forge ahead with DWC and see where it takes me and will look into the "Hydroguard" that was mentioned.

Again, I'm new to all this so please, give me your wisdom and words.

Also, I said I would write to Advanced Nutrients and ask them why 'Microbial Munch' wasn't on their site anymore (And if I should still use it).
They said, "It is a fantastic product, you can run it alongside Voodoo Juice, Tarantula and Piranha on the weeks those products run in order to boost the colonies of beneficial microbes."
So basically it is food for the root building nutrients? That's what I'm getting from that. Works for me! And seems to work for the plant so it can stay.

Here are the roots:
(Sorry for the lack of color correction)
IMG_399916.jpg

And here are the seedlings today:
IMG_399712.jpg
Nice setup subbed for the ride

Re: Mr fist grow! DWC - GSC & Sour Sage (The seedlings)

I’m very new to growing but I have had nine of nine seeds germinate sprout and planted all sighing 36hrs so maybe it’s just luck but this is what I do ..

Put room temp or around 20c water in dish drops seeds in .. put in dark Spot (cupboard about fridge) around 20c but no heating mat..
After 24 hrs tap seed and it should sink . Not lightly wet paper towel with water in bowl and place seed in paper towel in ziploc bag in warm dark spot for 12-24hr and bam..

Good luck and happy growing
If you bored check out my journal

Autoflowers Topped & LST Training - Pineapple Kush & Express, Cheese, GSC

Be careful with bags though as keeping them soaked can rot them they need to be moist and have a little air too.
I do the water in a cup 24 hrs and them switch to peer towelike on a plate and keep moist and usually within 3 days 90 percent or better germ rate so far.

1st plant in DWC!

Sour Sage has gone DWC!!!​

Yup, that's right. The Sour Sage ended up with such HUGE roots that I figured it was begging me to go swimming.

So today, that's exactly what happened.

I've been checking on and 'feeding' our little friends every 12 hours or so. Essentially I just drain away the water at the bottom of the seedling tray and replace it with fresh stuff.
I mixed up a jug of the following and was letting the plants feed at 100ppm so that I could transfer them to a DWC of the same solution and hopefully they wouldn't be too stressed.

It worked perfectly! Over the next few days the roots started growing like crazy! You can see how big they were in the pictures above, and that was just 3 days ago. In that time the roots have grown between 6-8 inches. The Sour Sage (SS) which I had been told LOVES DWC was leading the race. Also, last night I turned on one of the Mars lights so the plants could start to adjust. It turns out that little light I was using was only 45w and the plants looked like they were ready for more.

Here's a pic of the SS roots!
IMG_402319.jpg

So this morning I mixed up the first 5 Gal/ 18L bucket with the same solution:
RO water (PH.6)
Advanced Nutrients Micro
Advanced Nutrients Grow
Advanced Nutrients VooDoo Juice
Advanced Nutrients Microbial Munch

-----------
To measure the amounts I filled the bucket with water, mixed a solution of about 4ml of each into about 1L of water.
I then added the solution a little at a time to the bucket until it measured exactly 100ppm
I checked the Ph after this and it was up at 8!!!
So I lowered that down to 6, checked the temp and lowered the SS into the bath.

I started with water levels just touching the bottom of the net pot so the bubbles are just coming up between the grates.
I'm using two 4" air stones per bucket to provide lots of air so I get many many bubbles bursting against the hydroton and providing moisture to the peat.

I lowered the SS in so the main root was going through a larger opening then gently filled in the sides with hydroton.
IMG_404716.jpg

(That's a water temp guage stuck to the DWC if you're wondering)

I was a little worried about stress and the Mars lights burning the leaves. But no! They LOVE it!!!!
After about 2 hours in the DWC the SS had turned its leaves towards the Mars light and looked pretty happy. (For a plant that is.)
I'm going to move the two Girl Scout Cookies (GSC) into DWC on the weekend and probably start Monday of next week as official Week 1.

So here's the stats:
Air Temp: Aprox 26c
H2O Temp: Aprox 24c
Humidity: 55%
PPM: 100 (see list below)
PH: 6
Light: 18/6

Nutrients:
RO water (PH.6)
Advanced Nutrients Micro
Advanced Nutrients Grow
Advanced Nutrients VooDoo Juice
Advanced Nutrients Microbial Munch

Hope all is well in your world.

How did this grow turn out?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom