My First Grow Journal: Bubba Kush

JCTJ

Hello everyone, I'm a little late getting this grow journal (my first) started but figured better late than never! After purchasing some of the basics to start my first grow I was offered a pack of CK Bubba Kush seeds from my neighbour to get the ball rolling. I had planned to order some of my own including a couple autoflower strains but thought what the heck I'll give these a go for my first time... This is where the adventure begins.

CK Bubba Kush
Indica - Bubble Gum X Original Kush
Currently in veg, almost finished week 4 from largest plant seed popping
Coco coir grow medium with perlite. Coco came pre buffered but I decided to buffer again before planting with calimagic
Indoor grow tent 32"x32"x63"
600W (270 true watts) LED with supplemental 300W (135 true watts)
Lights on temp - 77F - 81F. Lights off temp 64F - 65F
Relative Humidity - 35 to 45% lights on. 55%ish (up to 65% with humidifier) lights off
No pests thus far
Watering between PH of 6.4 and 6.8
Gaia Green fertilizers mixed directly into medium (4-4-4 and 2-8-4). I will be top dressing and watering in throughout the grow
Fabric smart pots being used, 3 gallon (calculated to 3.9 gallon actual capacity)

Unfortunately after I started these seeds, I came to learn that this strain has an extremely poor reputation and seems to like producing hermies. The reviews are very poor and as of a couple days ago CK has marked these seeds as "out stock". Being my first grow, I am now really worried that this run will be not only a waste of time but also hydro and supplies etc. The learning experience however is really valuable to me and I do feel a lot more confident starting future grows, whenever that may be. Given the current situation, I thought this would be the perfect time to start documenting this grow and seek the help and advice of this great community.

I have taken a fair amount of photos that I will be posting. Unfortunately I made the mistake of taking the majority while the blurple lights were on and not in natural light, so bear with me :)

Day 1 to 3 - My initial plan was to pop 2 of the 5 seeds and return the rest. I figured my first grow 2 plants would suffice for my tent and original light. I followed the CK instructions and both seeds cracked, popped a nice tap root and into the medium they went. Shortly after I had my first little plants. Unfortunately, one of the two did not make it past the first few days. In a panic, I dropped another seed directly in the medium and hoped for the best.

Day 6 to 8 - At the time, I wasn't sure what the deal was with the very bright green/yellowish new growth on the first plant

After roughly a week I decided to pop the last two seeds directly into the coco, figured why not

Closer shot of the first plant

I'm curious on your thinking regarding the pH'ing at 6.4-6.8
My understanding is to keep the coco coir medium at a pH of 5.8 or so which apparently is ideal for proper nutrient uptake by plants. Adjusting the pH from 5.7 to 6.0 allows for nutrients that are absorbed best at slightly higher or lower levels than 5.8.
I know you said you buffered your coco, but what level did it end up at?

I don't grow in coco so I may be talking out the butt, but it's what I have picked up regarding it.

I'm curious on your thinking regarding the pH'ing at 6.4-6.8
My understanding is to keep the coco coir medium at a pH of 5.8 or so which apparently is ideal for proper nutrient uptake by plants. Adjusting the pH from 5.7 to 6.0 allows for nutrients that are absorbed best at slightly higher or lower levels than 5.8.
I know you said you buffered your coco, but what level did it end up at?

I don't grow in coco so I may be talking out the butt, but it's what I have picked up regarding it.

That is a good question. To be totally honest, I'm just following recommendations of a channel I watch on youtube. Suggesting that with organic dry amendments, a higher PH helps protect the microbial life in the medium. I'll be totally clear in that I have no experience with any of this and this is also one of the many reasons I was hoping to post a grow journal here to get feedback. Am I pushing the higher limits of the PH range for proper nutrient uptake?

When watering, I never go higher than the PH range I posted but I am not strict on exact PH levels and do go lower as well.

Day 17 - Leaf tips on largest plant generally pointing down. Smallest plant that I didn't think was going to make it was still struggling. As a bit of a noob I realized I was over watering the red solo cups. I carefully dumped each of them and transplanted the smallest into one of the occupied smart pots. The other I put fresh medium in and made sure not to over water it.

Day 18 - My RH fluctuated and the humidifier was a huge help as long as I kept the tent closed lol

Day 20 - Red solo cup plant is still kicking and the tiny one hanging out in the mid size plant's pot is somehow still alive as well. Two bigger plants seem happy

Well to be honest I'm not seeing any issues related to pH, so I wouldn't change a thing yet. It's something to keep in your mind if you start to see problems.

What height are the lights at?

Lights have been about 22-24", I can't remember exactly when I added the second one in but I did raise them higher after that. A few days ago I wasn't paying enough attention to the height and started to bleach the the tips and newer growth on the largest plant. Whoops. Just have to get caught up posting pictures to current day :)

All in all things look really good. The droopiness could be the lights still a little low. It's kinda bushy but expected with a 100% Indica plant, so don't be afraid to lift them to 28-30" for a little stretch and see what happens.
:goodjob:

Thanks! I do believe until a few days ago I had the light/lights too low, I was so concerned with everything else and put them closer than they probably should have been. I'll get caught up with the posting as I am a little concerned with the bleaching that I did and the possibility of the colouring being the addition of another issue.

Day 23 - I believe this way the day I topped the largest plant. A topping is what I had intended... later down the road I realized I had actually done a FIM, didn't quite get low enough :D

Day 24

Not looking so hot but still alive

The little runt that should have never made it, pulling through still.

Back
Top Bottom