My First Grow!

OldHippie07

tmp_5166-IMG_20150224_115835-91587470.jpg

My first grow. Grown in cocoa using advanced nutrients. Grown from clones of the strain trainwreck these are about 4 weeks along in veg and going 12-12 in about 2 days.

tmp_9987-IMG_20150330_115711759271057.jpg
tmp_9987-IMG_20150330_115657-1853109239.jpg
tmp_9987-IMG_20150330_115617463155207.jpg
tmp_9987-IMG_20150330_115603-1763341137.jpg
tmp_9987-IMG_20150330_1155051702328976.jpg

25 days of 12/12. 35 to 45 more to go! Any guesses as to what my yield per plant might be. I have no idea since this is the first flowering plant I have ever seen!

Should do a lil defol under the screen bro. Itll lessen the chance of any mildew issues later in flower and it helps everything get good airflow :)

Old Hippie looks like your first grow is doing well. The best time to harvest is determined by the color (amber) or when the trichomes turn about 50% cloudy depending on what type of high you want from your plants. the longer you let them go the more body stone you will get I usually harvest mine at 50% cloudy or when the trics turn amber your gonna need a magnifier to see the condition of the trics I got a cheap one from Radio Shack,

When I did my first run I was informed that you should expect .5 grams per watt as a new grower. Most shoot for 1 gram as the learning curve improves. I came out somewhere above .5 on mine. My lighting was a complicated system of adding in more CFLs as I went and I've yet to calculate it. I should do that now. Nay, too complicated. My harvest was satisfactory by any measure.

Having said that, the light is the machine that drives the grow, so more light usually translates to greater yield. Atrain, our latest POTM, beat those new grower odds with BIG lighting. When you do harvest, get a wet weight and figure on 75-80% of it being water weight. When dry you'll have about 20-25% of the wet weight to cure.

Will you be washing your buds at harvest? Highly recommended.

This is looking really good here OldHippie. Frostiness is about to take over. How did you get under my radar for so long? At 61, I guess I'm an old hippy too. :laughtwo::green_heart:

I'd consider a ventilation system. I'm still working on getting my own, but they make a big difference.

Should do a lil defol under the screen bro. Itll lessen the chance of any mildew issues later in flower and it helps everything get good airflow :)

Thanks, scrubby. I did some defol under the screen today, as you suggested, but probably not as much as I should. I have been removing leaves to get light to the buds but it is so hard to snip such beautiful leaves!!

Old Hippie looks like your first grow is doing well. The best time to harvest is determined by the color (amber) or when the trichomes turn about 50% cloudy depending on what type of high you want from your plants. the longer you let them go the more body stone you will get I usually harvest mine at 50% cloudy or when the trics turn amber your gonna need a magnifier to see the condition of the trics I got a cheap one from Radio Shack,
Thanks Big Budha. I do have a 60x120 microscope. When you say half cloudy that means the other half are clear. When say half turn amber the other half will be mostly cloudy, correct? They go from clear to cloudy to amber. Is this correct?

Thanks, scrubby. I did some defol under the screen today, as you suggested, but probably not as much as I should. I have been removing leaves to get light to the buds but it is so hard to snip such beautiful leaves!!

You can save those beautiful leaves for juicing. I'm just beginning to realize how important that choice may be. They freeze.

When I did my first run I was informed that you should expect .5 grams per watt as a new grower. Most shoot for 1 gram as the learning curve improves. I came out somewhere above .5 on mine. My lighting was a complicated system of adding in more CFLs as I went and I've yet to calculate it. I should do that now. Nay, too complicated. My harvest was satisfactory by any measure.

Having said that, the light is the machine that drives the grow, so more light usually translates to greater yield. Atrain, our latest POTM, beat those new grower odds with BIG lighting. When you do harvest, get a wet weight and figure on 75-80% of it being water weight. When dry you'll have about 20-25% of the wet weight to cure.

Will you be washing your buds at harvest? Highly recommended.

This is looking really good here OldHippie. Frostiness is about to take over. How did you get under my radar for so long? At 61, I guess I'm an old hippy too. :laughtwo::green_heart:

I'd consider a ventilation system. I'm still working on getting my own, but they make a big difference.
Thanks, Sweetsue. What is this washing of bud that you speak of? I think I have good ventilation. I am running a 4 inch duct fan blowing in at the bottom of the tent and a 6 inch high velocity fan and 24 inch carbon filter out at the top of the tent.

You can save those beautiful leaves for juicing. I'm just beginning to realize how important that choice may be. They freeze.
Ah ha! Another aspect of this wonderful new hobby of mine to learn. I have been throwing everything in the trash! So much to learn. I wish I was in my twenties again. Hell, l wish I was in my fifties again! At least I can remember those years.

Bud washing will always reveal dust and dead skin cells you never even considered. Any tiny insects that may have snuck in unbeknownst and got caught in the sticky sweetness will rise to the surface. Even a clean grower will be surprised.

But it goes further. Doc Bud, who developed the practice, theorizes that the hydration introduced through bud washing causes the plant to continue photosynthesizing past the harvest and sweetens the smoke. Whatever the cause, the end result after a proper cure is sweeter, purer, smoother. Haven't yet met anyone who tried it and walked away.

If you're interested, the first link is to a blog save of Doc's technique. The second is to the documentation of my first harvest, which featured this technique, and I think is an entertaining read, with some decent photos showing the entire process. I hope you find these enjoyable.

"Doc Bud's" Bud Washing - Blogs - 420 Magazine ®

Sweetsue's First Grow - Stealthy Trio of Autos Under CFLs

Ah ha! Another aspect of this wonderful new hobby of mine. I have been throwing everything in the trash! So much to learn. I wish I was in my twenties again. Hell, I wish I was in my fifties again. At least I can remember that far back!

Maybe I have my first problem, then again maybe not. Tomorrow is the end of week 6, day 42 since the flip . The very tips of the leaves are starting to turn yellow so small it doesn't even show up in the picture yet. Is this normal or do I have to make an adjustment in my feeding. I did do some defoliating. My plan was to feed normally until day 50 and then flush and start feeding with water and molasses. What do you all think?

Back
Top Bottom