My First Grow

McSmokin

Im new to growing, this being my first grow. I have done a TON of research about indoor growing, and am stoked to finally get the ball rolling on my first crop. The thing is though, the more I learn, the more I realize that other growers' two cents will help me make the best quality smoke possible. I'm the type of guy that always tries to do the best job that I can. So thats why I'm here. lol. Lets get to the beans then.

Plants: 3

Strain: Unknown (for sure two different strains)

Medium: 60% CocoTek Block-Style Coco and 30% Perlite.

Pots: In little starter pots now, moving to 5 gal Smart Pots when the time comes

Light: Apollo 600w MH/Apollo 250-1050w Ballast

Reflector: Agrotech Magnum Hood

Water: RO

Nutes: CocoTek Two Part Grow by General Hydroponics - Feeding 5ml Grow A 5 ml Grow B per gal

Tent: Apollo 60"x60"x80"

Fans: 2x 6"Hyper Fans

Filters: Phresh 6x6 intake filter

Humidifier: Cheapo Cold Mist from Walmart

I started these seeds back in late November in rockwool cubes and RO water. My initial transplant day was December 1, 2015 into a coco/perlite medium. I didnt use CalMag, but am using CocoTek two part coco-focused nutrient (I didnt start them on nutes until the cotyledons began to yellow). Supposedly they dont need additional CalMag, guess we'll see how it goes.

I still have them on 24 hr MH light schedule, keeping temps between 75-81 and relative humidity around 45-60%.

I guess my first question is, when is a good time to start the 18/6 cycle?

Also, why is my Strain B plant looking so sad?

Next, is it too early to foliar spray? If not, what should I use this early on?

I'm sure theres going to be a mountain of questions I'll have later on. I really appreciate any future advice. Ill be posting many pictures later on. Here's what I have for now.

My setup:

20151226_152624_zpse7k5igzj.jpg

20151226_152644_zpsq9zp3wim.jpg

Coco Mix:

20151226_153546_zpsyo0ac5i9.jpg

Strain A / Plant A:

What's with these burn spots? Could it have been my coco nutes splashing on the leaves?
20151226_152824_zps1skp9sfr.jpg

20151226_152815_zpszqqhmcbf.jpg

20151226_152810_zpsetmee6et.jpg

Strain A / Plant B

Kind of odd coloring going on here...

20151226_153112_1_zpszsruo3w2.jpg

Purple Stem???
20151226_153218_zpsvk7wj1aj.jpg

20151226_153206_zpsk2cmku48.jpg

Again... Weird Coloring
20151226_153144_zpsqjglrbvm.jpg

20151226_153143_zpsbi6tbbw8.jpg

Strain B:

Looking Droopy... I know this seed came from a plant that kicked butt outside in the desert of Colorado.
20151226_153358_zps3vhrzhjt.jpg
20151226_153428_zpstqoqaie3.jpg
20151226_153417_zpsdj9dax1g.jpg
[
20151226_153407_zpsefnrsic5.jpg
20151226_153348_zpszqsziwow.jpg

Right, OG. But im using a two part nutrient solution that is supposedly specifically made for coco. Im assuming it has calmag in it.... think I should do an epson salt foliar spray or root feed still? Is that why that "Strain A / Plant B" has funky colored leaves?

Nutes I use:
General Hydroponics CocoTek Nutrients. GENERAL HYDROPONICS: CocoTek A+B

yo bro id go easy on the nutes till they abit older , only need very little and make sure u doing feed/water/feed/water/feed/water ect , i donnt give any for the first week either....

also bro id say raise the metal halide when there smaller and grdually place closer as they get older co the stong light can stress the young ones....

MAke sure ur PH is 6.5/6.8 (PH AFTER ADDING NUTES !!!!!!!! NUTES WILL CHANGE PH )

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY mke sure your letting the soil dry out before watering again to avoid overwatering ...

if u ever gt any questiions inbox me and ill try help bro PEACE

X

Thanks Buddah Buds for your advice. Im totally down with the feed/water/feed/water schedule. But from the little I know about coco growing, its more to be treated like hydroponics. I thought letting the coco get too dry can cause salt buildups. Is there any hardcore coco growers out there that can give me some advice?

I'll definitely move the lights up a bit. I had no idea it could stress out the little ones. Its a 600w MH, do you think four feet from the top leaf is a safe distance?

Yes. Im watering with the nute solution, then waiting about 10-20 minutes before I suck up all the runoff in the tray with a turkey baster. Lol, it works.

I didnt realize that the way you feed determines the ppm of the nutes. I'll take a look at that schedule and let you know how it goes.

It says to maintain the nutrient solutions ph to 5.5 to 6.5, RO water is 7.0, get a ph pen and ppm meter because it's the only way you are going to be able to grow in coco coir. They're yellow because the ph is off. Also says to keep the nutrient solution aerated. Maybe a fish pump/stone to handle that?

Drain to Waste Nutrient Solution Tips
• Keep nutrient solution temperature below 75 ̊ F (24 ̊ C).
• Allow 5% - 25% runoff during each irrigation.
• Consider fresh water irrigation after 1 - 3 nutrient applications.
• To flush apply fresh water irrigation after three nutrient
applications to flush excess mineral accumulation.
• Keep nutrient solution aerated.
• For best results maintain nutrient solution pH between 5.5 - 6.5

I flushed my medium today with RO water. Within a few hours they started perking up a bit. They're still a bit yellow, so ph up and ph down are priorities on the "To Get" list. Thanks for the advice though Dean, my plants are a little happier now.

I have one of those test tube ph kits. The kind with the drops of green liquid. Is that not accurate enough to have a good grow? Any ppm meters I should look for or stay away from?

I have to wait until the first, but I'll be picking up the following before I do any transplanting:

CalMag+
Great White Enzymes and Beneficial Bacteria
Epsom Salt
TDS/PPM Meter
Fish Pump for nutes

When the time for transplanting comes, would it be more beneficial to the plants to slowly build up the pot sizes, or would just one transplant into the final pot (Thinking about going to a 7 gal smartpot instead of 5 gal. They're only like $.60 more than the 5 gallon size, so I say why not).

One point about fixes, don't expect the yellow leaves or rust spots to be repaired. It's cheaper for the plant to not fix the affected leaves and just work on new growth, so that is what usually happens.

At least that's my understanding.

I'm subbing in for this grow if ya don't mind, interested in coco for future grows and as always every grow is a learning experience. Hope you continue to share it with the community here.

That will help, and you could of went 1 tbs/gal. Spraying under the leaves with lights off.

The ph pen i have is:
Amazon: Etekcity High Accuracy Pocket Size Handheld pH Meter Pen Tester, Yellow

Here's a ppm: I don't know about it, i don't use one.
Amazon: HM Digital TDS-EZ Water Quality TDS Tester, 0-9990 ppm Measurement Range , 1 ppm Resolution, +/- 3% Readout Accuracy

1666926537031.png

PH up/down: Amazon: General Hydroponics GH1514 Ph Control Kit

1666926548867.png

I figured that I would FIM out my plants today after some research. I made sure my scissors were cleaned with H2O2 solution, and I was also wearing sterile gloves. Still though, I felt like I was doing something way wrong. Anyway...here are some before-and-after's. Everything look savvy?

The Trio before I hacked 'em:
20151231_013625.jpg
20151231_014823.jpg

Strain A / Plant A - That's the classic "praying for magnesium" deficiency, right? Anyways, it perked up after a few epsom salt sprays.
20151231_014906.jpg

20151231_015339.jpg

Strain A / Plant B:
20151231_015328.jpg
20151231_015333.jpg

Strain B:
20151231_014916.jpg
20151231_014920.jpg
20151231_015320.jpg

January 4, aka Transplant Day

So yesterday was the day that I decided to transplant my(hopefully) ladies into three five gallon fabric Smart Pots. It went really smoothly. I waited about four hours after my morning watering before I started the process.

I buffered the transplant coco with Epsom salt, a weak solution(about 8 ml per gallon) of my regular base nutrients, and a TBS of seaweed extract. I had about 1.8 cubic feet of coco coir in a 45 gallon tub, and it took 5 gallons of the buffer solution before I felt like the coco was saturated properly. That stuff's like a sham wow rag, how much water it soaks up.

I transplanted it with what I know as the "reverse sandcastle" method. I filled it up, put the pot it was in originally inside the new pot, and filled up around the old pot. Then I took the old pot out, took the cannabis out, and plopped the root ball right in the hole I just made. Worked like a charm.

Just got Great White enzymes and bacteria via FedEx this afternoon. Will be adding those when its lights on at 330 today with my regular nute feeding. Should I add a bit o' sugars to help them colonize along???

Heres some pictures. Super stoked to watch them shoot upwards and outwards.
20160104_144248.jpg
20160104_144037.jpg
5826.jpeg
20160104_184221.jpg

Haha, right? I noticed that right after I took the picture. I gotta come up with a better system for drainage man. Right now I'm using a bucket and a turkey baster to suck up all the water. It takes forever!!!

I'm broke. :(

Meh! Gives you lots of time with the girls, and they love the attention. You'll come up with something.The cheap solutions are often the best ones.

I'd actually considered the turkey baster myself, then I remembered I'm a bachelor and the turkey baster is actually in Mom's kitchen, not mine.

Ya, and the irlfriend wants her cooking stuff back, so I need to figure it out. If anybody has suggestions that move more than 50ml of water at a time, I'm all ears. Haha. Thinking about getting a cheap wetvac.

Back
Top Bottom