My First Hydro Setup

***So this was supposed to be posted yesterday and I forgot to press send lol so this was yesterday's post below.

Okay bud I will keep the calcium high and I may adjust my ppm to 650, I am going to swap the Plant Magic Magne Cal+ for the Magnifical from Remo which I'm hoping is actually calcium.

Noticed some new brown spots on the leaves I don't know what's going on now, I'm not to sure if you can really see the problem.

I'm enjoying training these two and there reacting good too.

This is now today, Day 4 of flower.

Just as the lights turning on I got some photos, planning another res change today without the velo kelp which I think is causing the problems.

I was also thinking,

What if I put a separate 20-30L tank on the outside of my tent acting as a reservoir,

Then connect the 2 pots up with 25-50mm pipe in the middle,

Then connect 1 pot to the reservoir with 25-50mm pipe,

Then place a water pump in the reservoir connected to the water cooler,

Then connect the water cooler return pipe to the opposite side of the pot so it acts as a continues loop.

Would this work because of it will I'm planning on keeping the hps in if it means I can control the water temps from the push of a button and if temps do get high I will add some Co2.

I will also try and source some pipe end filters to prevent roots being passed through the pipes.

Do you use air stone balls too? I would like to change mine I think as the thinks are vibrating my pots on the floor, pretty sure I seen a very fine looking one that didn't blow big bubbles but lots and lots of anal ones almost looking like vapour.

Your plants are looking real good there hth. I haven't got the training down so far but I will keep on trying. ;) Sure looks like a cal/mag def. ,let us know how they respond to a bigger dose. You can get different grades of air stones. The finer ones , of course, cost more but will plug up quicker. I used to go through them years ago while running two and sometimes three aquariums. Some tropicals require much more oxygen then others. The finer the stream of bubbles the more oxygen that is being disolved into the water. You mentioned that the Velo was leaving a sludge behind. Do you mean a slime on the res walls or an actual sludge build up in the bottom of the res.? Keep upthe good work.

Hello bud, yeah I think I'd prefer the finer ones, I only need two and I don't mind paying the extra cash for quality, the sludge is building up in the roots for some reason, if I don't use it I don't get the build up but I will grab some photos soon and show you what I mean, next time I do grow in these I will only use the a and b with cal mag.

There's no build up on the walls, there's usually a little on the bottom when I clean them out but I think that's something to do with the H&G as my tanks before where I stored nutrients would do the same.

***So this was supposed to be posted yesterday and I forgot to press send lol so this was yesterday's post below.

Okay bud I will keep the calcium high and I may adjust my ppm to 650, I am going to swap the Plant Magic Magne Cal+ for the Magnifical from Remo which I'm hoping is actually calcium.

Noticed some new brown spots on the leaves I don't know what's going on now, I'm not to sure if you can really see the problem.

Just as the lights turning on I got some photos, planning another res change today without the velo kelp which I think is causing the problems.

I was also thinking,

What if I put a separate 20-30L tank on the outside of my tent acting as a reservoir,

Then connect the water cooler return pipe to the opposite side of the pot so it acts as a continues loop.

Would this work because of it will I'm planning on keeping the hps in if it means I can control the water temps from the push of a button and if temps do get high I will add some Co2.

I will also try and source some pipe end filters to prevent roots being passed through the pipes.

Do you use air stone balls too? I would like to change mine I think as the thinks are vibrating my pots on the floor, pretty sure I seen a very fine looking one that didn't blow big bubbles but lots and lots of anal ones almost looking like vapour.

Hey I hope all is good. Anyone over here knows how to highlight parts of posts and add to the reply???cant for the life of me figure out how to use this feature. Anyways the spots aren’t cool and I’m with blue and you on the keeping up the cal/mag. If they continue they will get real bad as your plants r going to start feeding on cal hard. Before it was not such a big deal as they had time to be fixed not so much anymore. Keep me posted on these spots and very soon the ph will start dropping instead of rising this will also hinder the plants ability to pick up cal. The ph may not be dropping now but it will start soon. Now for the pipes: my old system was inch and a half pipe and roots grew into the pipe. The system I run now is 2 inch and I get roots growing in the trunk so IMO smaller pipes then 1 and a half inch is no good. I personally link you to a good friend on here that is at this moment switching from 1 inch pipe to 2 inch pipe because because his roots slow the water so much that the res is almost empty wile the buckets are real full because the roots r plugging the return pipes. You may even have it worse if you put screens in there. The air stone I use r 2 inch shaped like a cylinder. Ya they r loud and when my res gets low they r really jumping around in the buckets making all kinds of noises lol. Plants look good all trained up nice job. Keep your eye on those spots as the can get out of hand quickly and cal is something you want right because it plays many many important roles. Play safe my friend

My plants grow through three inch pipes, racing toward the res., and will totally fill them to the point of restricting water flow. They pack in so tight that when cleaning them out, at the end of a grow, I have to force a 2x2 through to unplug them. Once dried though they will fall right out.

My plants grow through three inch pipes, racing toward the res., and will totally fill them to the point of restricting water flow. They pack in so tight that when cleaning them out, at the end of a grow, I have to force a 2x2 through to unplug them. Once dried though they will fall right out.
That’s what I’m talking about shit gets crazy. I never had that happen but it’s because my bucket hold the mass of the root ball. In your set up it’s kinda like NFT Set up. My buckets hold 95% of my root mass but the tap root and a few feeders always make it into my trunk. Sometimes when I lift my netpots after harvest I have a massive rootball and a few 5 footers dangling off the bottom. I don’t even veg in my RDWC system ( buckets) I can’t even imagine how big the root balls would be if I did 6 weeks veg then 9 weeks flower in a bucket.

I was also thinking,

Outside of pipe size I think it should work. Can you draw up a little something just for visual reference??. It sounds like a UC(under current) system if I’m picking up what your putting down and they r simple and do exactly what you want. The only reason I add a feed line to this is so I don’t have to water from the top when the roots haven’t yet reached the water level and the waterfall effect adds even more D/O. What can I say I’m lazy in some ways not so much in others lmao. Wonderful idea to get yourself in a little more comfortable working position as well outside the tent.

Outside of pipe size I think it should work. Can you draw up a little something just for visual reference??. It sounds like a UC(under current) system if I’m picking up what your putting down and they r simple and do exactly what you want. The only reason I add a feed line to this is so I don’t have to water from the top when the roots haven’t yet reached the water level and the waterfall effect adds even more D/O. What can I say I’m lazy in some ways not so much in others lmao. Wonderful idea to get yourself in a little more comfortable working position as well outside the tent.
is this kinda what you were thinking. Don’t worry about all the connections and big giant res near the end. Connections r easy and big giant extra res is not necessarily something you need. However you can always add one in the future. Just look at the layout and think 2 buckets. Or maybe 4??

If I'm honest this first time run is nothing to shout about with the size of the roots as there barely is any and this so some is coming and going for some reason so I will take the velo kelp out and go from there.

Yeah I will draw something up in a minute and get it posted, I have a few water pumps and the outside res like you said is so much easier.

This is them now, so you think it is a call deficiency?

I could just add an extra pump separate and just have the intake and return in the res chiller and the other pump into the first pot?
The way the manufacturers of the chiller recommended is ya a separate pump in the res for the chiller. This is so it has time to chiller has time to chill the water if it’s in line as you had on the drawing I don’t know that it would ever turn off. I can try to draw you something later. Do you wish to have a top feed system or a under current system??

The only way I can feed is the same way with just the bubbles feeding the plants.

I could get a quality 30-40L water tank and do a loop as I showed but then just add the chilled intake and out take to the res which should work right?

So I'm going to do a few change today and try spray those roots lightly to remove the slime and fresh new bloom nutrients.

What would happen if I added more cal mag than what's recommend so you think?

I managed to cool the canopy down to 21c so at least the res should be cooler, but can sorted it lol.

So I'm going to do a few change today and try spray those roots lightly to remove the slime and fresh new bloom nutrients.

What would happen if I added more cal mag than what's recommend so you think?

I managed to cool the canopy down to 21c so at least the res should be cooler, but can sorted it lol.

Hey man I hope all is good. I have ran cal/mag above rate a few times with no bad effects. Without knowing what your tap water is made up of it should b ok just bump it slowly.There should be cal in your tap water the ?? Is how much. It is almost impossible to get cal toxicity or mg toxicity as these r fundamental building blocks and if you bump it a little by little you can c what’s going on. I use RO water and alway bump my cal a little during weeks 3to 6 in flower. If your trying to get those spots under control Foliar spraying works well. Just don’t do it when the lights r on and use the proper product. I got drawings of ideas coming for you in a few minutes.

Don't go above recomended dosage as it can and will cause nute burn. Great idea on cleaning up those roots. They really do look nasty in the pic. The best of luck and keep us up dated as to how it goes.
Yes they do wow. I hope they clean up without to much trauma. I hate having to play with the roots. It totally kills the stability in the system. I guess if HTH is going to res change anyways it’s probably best as that shit looks horrible.

Back
Top Bottom