My First Indoor Grow 2400w HPS Soil Medium - Advice Welcome

Re: My First Indoor Grow 2400w HPS Soil Medium- Advice sought

the waterboys!! brother, you are showing your age!! LOL i used to listen to these geezers back when i listened to the stranglers and the pogues etc! awesome sounds man :cheesygrinsmiley:
and i noticed you added molasses too?? good stuff bro! that should go a long way to resolving your def issues.. also a great carbo source for micro-organisms in your soil community but contains potash, sulphur and a heap of trace elements// great nutritious soil ammendment not to mention that it is an EXCELLENT chelating agent.. its funny how a heap of fert companies use molasses in one form or another as a base for their plant additives and label them as some "purely awesome complete plant booster" or some such crap.

keep it green mate /|\

Dasher,
Sorry im so late lol. I agree its a deficiency and i think adding some calcium and magnesium aka cal mg would really help, also a quick way to get some N to your ladies is make a compost tea or you could use some guano and top dress the soil a bit and water it in. I think your doing well and love the room. If it were outdoors I'd say use some fish emulsion but you might not want that smell, used it indoors once and the wife gave me the sideways evil eye for a few days lol.
Keep at it and youll do fine. Youll be amazed at how the plant seems to protect its flowers and when everything else looks bad the buds look better.
Plus reps brother

I agree with s1ingblade bro, most often the deficient nutrients ARE already there, they can get locked out for a variety of reasons. The calmag should make those nutes available to the plant!:peace:

I agree with s1ingblade bro, most often the deficient nutrients ARE already there, they can get locked out for a variety of reasons. The calmag should make those nutes available to the plant!:peace:

Absolutely great advice.... :thumb:

What exactly is this "blood and bone"? Maybe I should consider this myself from the sounds of it.

What exactly is this "blood and bone"? Maybe I should consider this myself from the sounds of it.

Blood meal and bone meal are soil additives. Its been forever since I used them. They're nutes that get watered in. I'm not sure exactly what's in it. I know it commonly used outdoors as well as indoors. That's to say it sits on top of the soil and you water over it to release the good stuff. At least that's how I used it.

howdy bro! :cheesygrinsmiley:

yep, some great advice there! added cal/mag would not go astray AT ALL :cheesygrinsmiley: the reason i recommended blood and bone is its so darn cheap here and its all about N... but as you'd expect when you have a deficiency with one mineral it more than likely leads to deficiencies in other minerals.. as you notice with humans, vit D aids in the absorption of calcium and is intimately symbiotic with magnesium.. as is vit C and iron.. and so on through all of the minerals and vits. the same obviously goes for plants.. the fact that your leaves are yellowing all the way up to your flowers AT THIS EARLY STAGE(not even halfway through flowering right??) led me to recommend an N BOOST- sure plants are more about phosphates during the flowering stage but an added N boost during flowering if you are getting premature yellowing all the way up to your flowers would do no harm. what i heard when you mention it initially was "yellowing leaves" which seemed obviously N to me. personally i would use a small handful PER PLANT and rake it into your top soil... it wont harm your plants at all and wont disrupt your plants ability to take up phosphates etc either. when i used to grow in soil i would ALWAYS add a top dressing of dolomite lime and blood and bone and then add a thin mulch layer of compost as i flipped to flower- if i didnt transplant to bigger pots with new dirt, and they NEVER showed adverse reactions to it, quite the contrary..

so if you just added a pinch per pot i would'nt be afraid to up that dose to a small handful.. its not going to harm your plants one bit.. scatter it around the base of your plant until the top soil is lightly covered then rake in and finish with a good watering.

what you mentioned about your fish guts and bones is GOLD BRO! my mate grew two plants of the same strain last year.. one in his primary garden amped to the T with his fish guts, bones etc.. and the other standard dirt with added compost.. the prime plant grew to harvest over 1kg where the secondary garden and plant yielded 4 ounces!! use it brother! not to forget kina shells too!! they are like sponges that absorb alot of the minerals from the ocean- the perfect home-made, au natural, 100%organic super duper plant food right thur :cheesygrinsmiley: :thumb:

good luck with your plants bro! :peace:
Im really gald you said Blood and bone as thats the only other stuff that i have :thumb: I did exactly as you said and raked a good handful into each and watered today. There's no flower time known for the ?/ice as the other guy that grew it never flowered longer than 40-45 days so not exactly sure what flowering time to axpect, id like to get them to around sixty days tho , i will look and see how long Ice flowers for some general idea. Im definitely going to prepare my medium better going into 12/12 for my next grow and get some better ferts on next trip to the "big smoke". Ive had this really annoying leaf tip burn right thru my grow and i really want to work that one out, funny though when Ive added potash in the fert the damaged tips light up bright fluro green under the lights, strangely beautiful lol.
Hey Alks what should i do with my Fish waste (Kina included) lol put it in a barrel or something with water and let it rot ? it'll be right out the back if it is :) but wow it really kicked ass in that comparison and the price is right.

Yo Dash things looking great! I was glad to see u kept on with the journal as well. As far as the yellowing survey says----> agree with both cal mag and lil N boost spot on from looks of pics!!:thumb: keep on keeping on!

Will do buddy, Cal/mag (Calcium/magnesium?) silly really i don't even know how that comes lol i've gone over and over the ferts in my local garden centre and never noticed cal/mag i'll look and ask tomorrow and cheers mate Im really glad i kept the journal too, iv'e made friends i would never have gotten to know and im loving the comradeship that all you good people show me, plus i get to show off my skills :cough:lol

the waterboys!! brother, you are showing your age!! LOL i used to listen to these geezers back when i listened to the stranglers and the pogues etc! awesome sounds man :cheesygrinsmiley:
and i noticed you added molasses too?? good stuff bro! that should go a long way to resolving your def issues.. also a great carbo source for micro-organisms in your soil community but contains potash, sulphur and a heap of trace elements// great nutritious soil ammendment not to mention that it is an EXCELLENT chelating agent.. its funny how a heap of fert companies use molasses in one form or another as a base for their plant additives and label them as some "purely awesome complete plant booster" or some such crap.

keep it green mate /|\

Hahaha yeah mate showing my age alright but damn i enjoyed those days i really didn't have a care in the world caught the stranglers at the Coogee Bay Hotel in syd once that was an awesome concert ahhh those were the days, when the year 2000 seemed a lifetime away.
I didn't know how much mollass's to use so i put about teaspoon a litre you rekon that was that enough/ too much ? funny how you say they tout it as a "purely awesome complete plant booster" lol those creative writers will say anything to get you to pay 10 times what you should. Actually it didn't taste as nice as the name sounded to me either lol sure my plants and soil think different tho.

You know i was surprised it was an N def as my bloom fert has alot of N and wanted another with less, so im guessing it is a lockout issue too:hmmmm: nobody told me nutes would be so hard to get right, had a hectic day today but getting up the garden centre tomorrow and grab some cal/mag thanks mcloadie.

Hope elious info helped bro, usually when im ferting its half a teaspoon of this and a couple of grams of that so was quite liberating to chuck in a handfull of something for a change.

Blood meal and bone meal are soil additives. Its been forever since I used them. They're nutes that get watered in. I'm not sure exactly what's in it. I know it commonly used outdoors as well as indoors. That's to say it sits on top of the soil and you water over it to release the good stuff. At least that's how I used it.

Thanks mate.

So for journal today

Bigger plants today received:
1 Hand full Blood and Bone
1 teaspoon Molasses
1/2 strength bloom fert
1/2 teaspoon Potash.
2 ltr water.

Smaller plants received
Yesterday 1 teaspoon Molasses
1 ltr water
Today
Defol
Handfull Blood and Bone
1/2 strength bloom fert
1/2 teaspoon potash
1 1/2 litre water

Current layout.
DSCN13593.jpg

Day 13 on 12/12
DSCN13687.jpg
Day 29 on 12/12
Clipboard0127.jpg

Oneof the ?ice needing a little support
Clipboard01d.jpg

Hope everyone had a great Weednesday, Night all.

Holy damn man!! Those are looking really good!!! Mine are at like day 33-34 and they don't have buds like THAT! Very well played sir!

Holy damn man!! Those are looking really good!!! Mine are at like day 33-34 and they don't have buds like THAT! Very well played sir!

Thank you Sir, but I think because mine were mothers they started large and they flipped well both which helped but i dont see more than 20 more days in the 2 ?/Ice. Yours Sir, still have a month to go and they look perfect for 33-34. ;)
Cheers for reps bro

My la diva leaves look horrible tried to correct it. Hasn't seem to get any better or worse. But the bud keeps packing on. So if its not broke don't fix it! Lol

Eye on the prize and damn the torpedoes....
Thanks for Reps too mate.

hell yeah dash!!:goodjob:
those girls looking good brother!!:thumb:

thanks mate and for the Reps, im over your way soon to see how your girls are settling in. :wood:

Hey Dash, How are ya??
I just saw your journal and thought - Hmm, Ill drive by and have a squizz.. So here we are:) Ive had a brief run thru your journal so far, and from your initial goal, it seems that you may be well on the way to pull 32 Oz.. I like the way yyou have gone about your set up, its not fancy but it is effective! Actually, your space is near identical to mine - Well if there were walls both sides of your plant! My space is 4.5ftwx8.5ft Tallx2.5ft W, I use LST to train my girls and did you top some of your girls or not? If not, theyre nice n bushy:)
Hope that they will continue to bulk up for you and give you lots of nice tasty nugs.. My last girl gave me just over 16.5oz dry, one plant, I only do a single plant at this stage, under a 400w HPS or 600w. I am using the 600w atm due to the plants size as I want to get as much penetration as possible and light p/sqm - will maybe go to 2 plants at a later stage but not for now, dont have the room.. So if youve got 3 or so plants, you should do well;)
Well nice to make your aquaintance and I will keep an eye on your gals n drive by a bit later, Take it easy mate and chat then.. Feel free to drop over my way n say hi if ya like:) Adios amigos..
Smokemupm8 :thumb:

Hey there Smokemupm8 :welcome:glad you were in the neighborhood and dropped in mate, yeah my set ups pretty basic, Im fortunate i have the room in a garage with good ventilation so no need for exhaust fans, extractors,ac etc so basically cheap light kits and fans, bit of cardboard, paint and foil, and in a way we do have the same spaces once my screens are up with plants walled in. Iv'e found it amusing that i have the space and seems i am building closets around them but just trying to make the most of my light that stuff costs too much to waste.

I had the 32oz goal but took over these three mothers just as i was starting so sort of threw my original plans of the 16 plant, 4 x 4 / 2400w awry but managing 14 plus these three at the moment, it does matter to me that i can get at least .35gm per watt every six weeks to make this venture work for me but don't think that's unreasonable in fact I've been told that's quite inefficient lol so thought even this idiot might be able to achieve that. My main concern is achieving it with six week flower.

I suppose these being mothers answers the topping query if you meant them, they were topped purely for clones with no real concern for the canopy but have ended up fine i think. The smaller have had no topping or training at all, au natural. The lower branches are stretching well so im ending up with a nice even secondary canopy and having the pots mobile gives me a certain degree of light training to work with too. If i was growing this strain again i would try topping once maybe twice or LST for a nice, even canopy.

Having a 400 and 600 is handy as you can bring the 600 in as they grow a bigger footprint u could veg 2 or 3 to size under 400 then flip and swap out for the 600 all sorts of scenarios i suppose.
I can just get 16 under 1 x 600w to 2 week veg. Planned to flip and split them under 2 x 600 then bring the next two lights into play as they grew. If i had the time 1 plant under 600 would be perfect for a personal grow you could veg and train it to a really nice size before flip, would make for an impressive plant with 600w to itself.

Thanks again for dropping in mate, nice meeting you too, sorry if i've rambled a bit, will pop in yours very soon. :passitleft:

Your garden looks fantastic Dasher! :high-five:

Looking like you're gonna have a nice harvest.

Do you guys know that they make fake ass tomatoes to hang on weed plants? They look pretty good even at fifty yards!

These are used to disguise an MJ Plant? They look nothing alike IMHO. :blalol: :rofl:

A/C's ...air conditioners, humidifiers, dehumidifiers, heaters, air pumps, water pumps, res coolers....ect.....LOL

I'm pretty sure that the ballast is kinda like a capacitor that boosts the voltage somehow?

A ballast is mostly a rectifier, but it also boosts the voltage. You're supplying AC power, but lamps run on DC, so the first thing the ballast does is rectify, or 'convert', the AC current's voltage wave pattern into a steady DC signal. You're right about there being capacitors inside. I think of capacitors like short term batteries. They store power like a battery, but discharge it much faster. They are used to level out the power being fed to the lamps. The AC power is varying from -120 to +120 60 times a second. Even after converting, the DC power will still be "pulsing", so capacitors are used to smooth that out. Imagine you have a bucket of water with a hole in the bottom. That hole is the DC power that comes out at a steady rate as long as you keep the bucket full. Now imagine the water filling the bucket was cycling off and on 60 times a second. It can still keep the bucket full, but it's not a steady stream. The bucket smooths out the stream. The bucket is the capacitor.

The ballast also bumps up the voltage I believe. I'd have to double check though. I can't recall what voltage the lamps need to operate, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was many hundreds of volts. I suspect the initial spike when the lamp first lights up is 1000's of Volts.

Anyway, sorry to babble on about ballasts. I guess I spent too many semesters in EE classes before settling on CS. :peace:

Babble away mate i'm all ears,

The water bucket analogy explained the ballast perfectly cheers was always just the power box thing ya need for your light lol i now have a new respect for it. Have one ballast taking longer to start the light than all the others so thinking it may have some problem.

Haha true mate the tomato disguise is not fooling anyone :laugh: .

gunna be awesome mate, great work. :thumb:

Thanks matey :winkyface:

A bit of jouranaling,
Flower Room 12/12
Temps: 29 hi, 17 lo
R/O: 73 hi 46 lo

Larger Plants:
Watered and ferted on Friday 17th
Full strength bloom fert
1 teaspoon Potash
2 ltr water

Today
1 teaspoon Malasses
2ltr water

Small plants today
22 1/2 inches high.
1 teaspoon molasses
2 ltr water.

Becoming a bit crowded with 12 under 2x600. Day 17 @ 12/12
DSCN13774.jpg

Those bud sites are producing pretty equally dash! They're gonna be loaded!

Back
Top Bottom