My First Journal: GG#4 In DWC & Soil

I run the GH at 100%, usually,but you ramp up to it

Just gotta watch for tip burn, if u see it, back off 25%
Yea i figured to go in around 50% or so at the switch and see how they react to it. Thank you.

I removed 2 of the fan leaves today. Side branching needed some room. In another day or two, I'll be removing the top 2 fan leaves as well for the same reason. I also started her first feed as well. I'd say I gave her about 10% of the rec dosage.
90938836_658030474961866_6624396801019478016_n.jpg

Even though she was a day behind, I believe the DWC GG#4 has passed all the other plants her age.
91008930_210790790236464_1953452431614410752_n.jpg

I removed 2 leaves on the DWC plant as well this morning. Her side branching is growing in and I wanted to get it room and light as I did with the soil GG#4 yesterday. I'll get pictures up later today.

Tomorrow I am going to be cutting another set of leaves of each GG#4 plant. I don't like to take too much at once off. I should be starting LST on both by Monday or Tuesday.

For people who have done DWC and soil....do you notice yourself flipping the DWC plants earlier then you would soil? I never go by veg time. I go by how big they are so I know where I might be after flowering stretch. I would think a little earlier since they are known to grow faster?

I can't relate to soil grows because I never had the patients for it. I was a coco grower that is in the process of switching over to DWC. I ran both in parallel last grow and am doing it again this time around to deplete the inventory of coco and nutes that I had.

What I noticed with the DWC was that they took longer to transition into flower than the coco plants did once the light cycle was changed to 12/12. It was a prolonged stretch period so the plants got larger before settling into flower. This time around I flipped the DWC girls earlier than I would in coco and they are acting the same way.

I can't relate to soil grows because I never had the patients for it. I was a coco grower that is in the process of switching over to DWC. I ran both in parallel last grow and am doing it again this time around to deplete the inventory of coco and nutes that I had.

What I noticed with the DWC was that they took longer to transition into flower than the coco plants did once the light cycle was changed to 12/12. It was a prolonged stretch period so the plants got larger before settling into flower. This time around I flipped the DWC girls earlier than I would in coco and they are acting the same way.
Thank you. I like to hit my plants with 24-36 hours of dark before I go into the 12/12. I noticed my soil plants seem to throw pistols much faster then if I just went from 18-6 right into 12-12. I will do the same with my DWC plant and see if it takes any extra time. I wanted to give them 8 weeks before flipping but I just don't see me having the room to do it unless I train extremely. I don't see the point so I plan on flipping according to size instead. I'll let you know how it goes in a couple weeks when I do flip the plants though.

I am shopping around for a 4 site system after this run. Debating on 1 pump or 4 seperate pumps for each individual bucket. I am also considering adding 2 large totes for 2 plants each as well. Thoughts?

This might sounds silly.....Is there any certain way to train a plant in DWC? I figured it really wouldn't matter at all. But just wanted to make sure before I journey down that road. I know some strains do better to certain trainings.
you can treat them as soil with trainings. just a little harder to pin to the ground until they get to the buckets edge. Some folks use tomato cages attached to their pot lid to train to perfection around the rims with just colas. dont be afraid to give it a go. I am using supercropping in nft to avoid finding a way to pin them out. cant beat a good pinch and squish for masterful control. lol

Opened up the soil plant this morning. I need to do the same for the DWC plant as well. I'll remove the 2 upper fans leaves to allow all that growth room and light. Everything going as planned so far.
91231806_632957360859831_6471587783092731904_n.jpg

I am shopping around for a 4 site system after this run. Debating on 1 pump or 4 seperate pumps for each individual bucket. I am also considering adding 2 large totes for 2 plants each as well. Thoughts?

Be wary of 'systems' for multiple plants unless you are growing the same strain in all of the buckets .
I have found that different strains require different nutes at different times (in flower)
I also run 2 air stones per bucket , two pumps for 4 buckets , 4 lines per pump. ( air valves)
I would NEVER plant more than one plant per reserve.... Root balls are huge and I can't fathom a container
That would provide enough space for healthy untwined roots ?
Hope this helps! :)
Namaste :)

you can treat them as soil with trainings. just a little harder to pin to the ground until they get to the buckets edge. Some folks use tomato cages attached to their pot lid to train to perfection around the rims with just colas. dont be afraid to give it a go. I am using supercropping in nft to avoid finding a way to pin them out. cant beat a good pinch and squish for masterful control. lol
She is getting there. I can't wait til I can tie her down and really open her up some. My plan is to just flower the GG's under the TS-3000 only in a 3x3 so they will have some decent room to grow.

Be wary of 'systems' for multiple plants unless you are growing the same strain in all of the buckets .
I have found that different strains require different nutes at different times (in flower)
I also run 2 air stones per bucket , two pumps for 4 buckets , 4 lines per pump. ( air valves)
I would NEVER plant more than one plant per reserve.... Root balls are huge and I can't fathom a container
That would provide enough space for healthy untwined roots ?
Hope this helps! :)
Namaste :)

I decided to grab 2 pumps with 4 lines each for 4 different buckets. 2 lines per bucket and if one fails, I at least have one more going until I can replace the broken one. I figure this to be my best option. At least it'll be less wires then seperate pumps for each bucket. I am finding the DWC to be much easier then soil to maintain but I get more time with the plant in general because of level checking. I used to check every hour or two and now I have backed off to once in morning and once later in the day. I am becoming more comfortable with the grow. Such a jump going from soil only to DWC overnight lol.

Ever since I bumped the PPM level after my first res chance, the yellowish tint has not returned. Nice color to the new growth. I am not seeing any discoloration throughout the plant. The rate these plants grow at really is remarkable. Once I start to tie them down, after a good 48 hours, each side will then be topped again.
90982784_205653364042523_7536758935429054464_n.jpg

I like the maintance ..I can't figure out soil for the life of me, but Dwc seems easier, faster, and cleaner .

One thing I will warn you, try to check your numbers at the same time everyday because ph will fluctuate naturally and you don't want to over correct it.
Change your water completely no less than every 10 days
Never run out of water - the temp of your water temp is as important as your nutes!
Keep your pumps out of the tent - you don't want warm reused air circulating thru your reserve
Use good nutes
Follow the bible

Can't go wrong with good genetics that's for sure !

I like the maintance ..I can't figure out soil for the life of me, but Dwc seems easier, faster, and cleaner .

One thing I will warn you, try to check your numbers at the same time everyday because ph will fluctuate naturally and you don't want to over correct it.
Change your water completely no less than every 10 days
Never run out of water - the temp of your water temp is as important as your nutes!
Keep your pumps out of the tent - you don't want warm reused air circulating thru your reserve
Use good nutes
Follow the bible

Can't go wrong with good genetics that's for sure !
I'll have to remove the pump as I have it hanging above my light. I got air going right over it so it don't get hot in the tent at all. Right now my rez temp is around 75 and I know it should be in that 67F range. I was debating on tossing a frozen water bottle once a day in it as I don't have a chiller...."yet". I noticed my PH jumps but it's never more then .1 at a time. 5.9 to 6.0 then later back down and so on. Nothing major and nothing ever outside of 5.8-6.2. My sweetspot is 6.0. I also change my water once every 7 days just to keep it clean as I can. I also used a knife to mark a spot inside the bucket so know how much the plant is drinking. For the most part I think I got it but I am sure as she goes, I'll think of other things that I can be helped with. I can see the proof of the growth right before my eyes too. The DWC plant was behind every single plant in the tent. Now it's bigger then all of them and getting bigger by the second.

Back
Top Bottom