My Grow

Thanks for the tag Buds and congrats on the new sprouts!

I'm not sure how old that quote is but it's not the approach MrSauga or I use now. MC is a good base to work from (if you have it on hand), but as you've seen from the calculations and your past grows, it needs to be balanced with some additional products to make it work from sprout to harvest.
I'll p.m. you guys concerning calculation questions. I can still post what I'm using & the amount of each if I choose to though. Took me 2 weeks just to re-read my journals & take notes from them; so just starting on the other thing now.

Hello there fellers & felons... lol. I have the day off work for a doctors appt. & my little seedlings are 1 week old today; so thought I'd do a little update.
So I planted the seeds on 1-31 & all 4 seeds sprouted on the 3rd. When I planted each seeds I gave them 1 shot glass of water. On the 6th they got another shot glass of water & today they will each get 1 more. They just don't need much water yet. On the 6th there was still no sign of any roots. As you'll see in the pics that has changed dramatically in the past 4 days. The "POP TARTS" seedling stretched a bit much & fell over on the 8th. I had to support her with some plant wire tie. She seems to be doing fine now. I'm not sure if this is a Sativa, Indica or Hybrid. This one was the last to sprout, but has grown the tallest. So it could be a Sativa, a dreaded Male or just it's genetics. Only time will tell.
My R.H. has been really good with my 6 gal. humidifier running on it's lowest setting. I'm staying between 55% - 65% Lights on & 70% - 75% Lights off. Temp stays about 79F - 81F Lights on & 75F - 77F Lights off.
So Time for the pics. Here's a couple of pics of all 4.
14-33                    1-Wk. Old          (2-10).JPG
14-34                    1-Wk. Old          (2-10).JPG

"WHITE WIDOW"
14-35                   (2-10).JPG
14-36                    (2-10).JPG

"AURORA INDICA"
14-37                  (2-10).JPG
14-38                  (2-10).JPG

"OG KUSH"
14-39                  (2-10).JPG
14-40                  (2-10).JPG

"POP TARTS"
14-41                  (2-10).JPG
14-42                  (2-10).JPG

I'll give them 1 more week of just water & then I'll be feeding nutrients through the rest of the grow. I think they will have developed a complete 2nd node by then. They should have a root system established by then also that can handle the uptake of the nutes. They could probably take nutes now... but why push things.... ?

My 4th Viparspectra PAR1500 is suppose to arrive today so I'll be putting that up. I would like to get a 150 watt Vipar Blurple to put in the center of the tent. I may order one in the next couple of weeks. I would kind of like to put the Mars TSL 2000 in my Shed or a Closet to keep mothers alive. I'll have to work all that out as I go.

Hello there fellers & felons... lol. I have the day off work for a doctors appt. & my little seedlings are 1 week old today; so thought I'd do a little update.
So I planted the seeds on 1-31 & all 4 seeds sprouted on the 3rd. When I planted each seeds I gave them 1 shot glass of water. On the 6th they got another shot glass of water & today they will each get 1 more. They just don't need much water yet. On the 6th there was still no sign of any roots. As you'll see in the pics that has changed dramatically in the past 4 days. The "POP TARTS" seedling stretched a bit much & fell over on the 8th. I had to support her with some plant wire tie. She seems to be doing fine now. I'm not sure if this is a Sativa, Indica or Hybrid. This one was the last to sprout, but has grown the tallest. So it could be a Sativa, a dreaded Male or just it's genetics. Only time will tell.
My R.H. has been really good with my 6 gal. humidifier running on it's lowest setting. I'm staying between 55% - 65% Lights on & 70% - 75% Lights off. Temp stays about 79F - 81F Lights on & 75F - 77F Lights off.
So Time for the pics. Here's a couple of pics of all 4.
14-33                    1-Wk. Old          (2-10).JPG
14-34                    1-Wk. Old          (2-10).JPG

"WHITE WIDOW"
14-35                   (2-10).JPG
14-36                    (2-10).JPG

"AURORA INDICA"
14-37                  (2-10).JPG
14-38                  (2-10).JPG

"OG KUSH"
14-39                  (2-10).JPG
14-40                  (2-10).JPG

"POP TARTS"
14-41                  (2-10).JPG
14-42                  (2-10).JPG

I'll give them 1 more week of just water & then I'll be feeding nutrients through the rest of the grow. I think they will have developed a complete 2nd node by then. They should have a root system established by then also that can handle the uptake of the nutes. They could probably take nutes now... but why push things.... ?

My 4th Viparspectra PAR1500 is suppose to arrive today so I'll be putting that up. I would like to get a 150 watt Vipar Blurple to put in the center of the tent. I may order one in the next couple of weeks. I would kind of like to put the Mars TSL 2000 in my Shed or a Closet to keep mothers alive. I'll have to work all that out as I go.
Hey Buds ,hope you have a good day off. :p
Those roots are trying to escape. :laugh:
My chronic thunder is 10 days old and a 1/4 that size.
Must be something in the water here.
Sounds like your going to have lots of light for them. :thumb:

Stay safe
Bill

Hey Buds ,hope you have a good day off. :p
Those roots are trying to escape. :laugh:
My chronic thunder is 10 days old and a 1/4 that size.
Must be something in the water here.
Sounds like your going to have lots of light for them. :thumb:

Stay safe
Bill
Chronic Thunder.... Even the name sounds potent. Haven't tried that strain yet.
The PAR 1500's are only 155 Watts each so it's a bit less then the 720 & 800 watt Bar lights I used on my last 2 grows.
I was just looking at some Vipar Blurples & they have some newer ones out with dimmers & Veg & Bloom switches.
600 Watt (132 watt) was $69.99 & 1000 Watt (230 watt) was $99.99. I'll probably add one of those in the center. I have this hunch that the colored lights do something that all white light can't during Flower. Just a hunch of course. But I like the added color too.... lol.

Chronic Thunder.... Even the name sounds potent. Haven't tried that strain yet.
The PAR 1500's are only 155 Watts each so it's a bit less then the 720 & 800 watt Bar lights I used on my last 2 grows.
I was just looking at some Vipar Blurples & they have some newer ones out with dimmers & Veg & Bloom switches.
600 Watt (132 watt) was $69.99 & 1000 Watt (230 watt) was $99.99. I'll probably add one of those in the center. I have this hunch that the colored lights do something that all white light can't during Flower. Just a hunch of course. But I like the added color too.... lol.
Funny I was just talking to @Odjob About that.
I used them for years.
Had great results, never a problem.
Dam their prices are good.
The Chronic Thunder is from Herbies Seeds, I better do a good job.
I've got 2 of them.
One is 40 days old and only 2 inches tall. :(
I've got 9 months before harvest so no rush but... :rofl:

Stay safe
Bill

Well today has been kind of a lazy day for me. I've been sitting around thinking about my past grows & looking at the pics from them. Kind of reminiscing if you will. One of the things that stood out to me was the yields. During my 2 grows with Bar Lights my avg. yield was 5 oz. per plant & occasionally get almost 6. Most of my grows with a light over each plant averaged 6 oz. per plant & up to 11 oz. For that reason I decided to do another grow with a light over each plant to see what the results will be.
Another thing I noticed was when I had Higher Temps & Low R.H. I got bigger yields. I'm not sure if having good temps & RH with a light over each plant will do the same or better. It could be just the light over each plant giving bigger yields & have nothing to do with the Temp & RH. But when I got my biggest yields my Temps ran from 82F - 92F with an R.H. between 30% - 45%.
I have to say this makes me question VPD Charts.
This grow I am going to run my AC but I'm setting it for 82F for Veg. I'll lower it for Flower. I've had no problem keeping my RH between 60% (tent door open) & 75% at lights out. I haven't checked leaf temps as they're seedlings & they seem to like things a little warmer anyway. I will check that once I up-pot & start Vegging.
I guess that makes this sort of an experimental grow by combining a few things I noticed that worked well to see how they work together.

Anyone else notice anything during their grows that doesn't go along with what you've read ?

More than one variable leaves you with no real answers (you don't know which change was the "important" one, or if they have to be combined to make it work), but I think working on VPD comes after the lights and nutes are dialed in. I figure that great lighting with no control over VPD is better than less good lighting and perfect VPD.
I'm pretty much with you on what you're saying. I do think the Lighting is the most important change I've made. I'll know when this grow is done & I see the results. In my mind I'm convinced a light per plant will produce more then a bar light & that's why I'm going this route.
The nute thing I'm not concerned about since I have you & Sauga's Calculations to work with. But back when I did the grow that I'm pretty much trying to copy I was using MC Ver. 2 with the Gray balls in it. This is their newest version I'm using this time with the "N & Si" added. So yeah, there is a variable there too. I don't really think this variable will play a big part in the end result; but will keep my plants healthier, happier & greener.... which in turn could possibly increase my yield.
I didn't have a portable AC during that past grow either & Temps got high & RH was low most of the time. I kind of think the plants like a higher temp then the 77F they say is the correct temp. But then I haven't done a grow with a light over each plant while having the correct VPD to really determine that.
Then again I'm concerned that if it gets too warm with 60% - 70% RH I could get mold problems. Maybe that's the reason they say 77F is the correct temp ?
Never the less, I do think a lot of my yield issues have to do with the lighting & the way I Trim, Defol & Train. I'm too heavy handed when I defol. I top too much. And I think I might start training too early.
This grow, only getting the main stem topped & nothing more. I'm not removing the bottom nodes unless they are too close to the soil either. These things I think are slowing my grows down big time.
What's your thoughts ? I'm just trying to figure some things out so your input is most valuable. Thanks !

I've been trying to do an update today, but having issues getting the pics off my SD Card & onto the computer. Even bought a new computer & that didn't fix the issue. It has to be the SD Card because sometimes it works & sometimes it don't. Going to Walmart to buy one today. Hopefully that solves things.
Anyway, I really haven't done anything to the plants the past 3 days. Just letting them grow. Today, I changed things up slightly. I moved the plants under 1 of the Viparspectra PAR 1500's. The SF1000 is only 100 watts & the Vipar is 155 watt so upping things slightly. The plants are 10 days old today & all have 2 sets of leaves so they can handle a little more power. I'm starting the Vipar on 75% at about 24". I plan to increase the power by 5% every 2-3 days.
I gave each plant 2 shot glasses of water today. I haven't watered since the 10th & things were pretty dry, but not totally. This was the last feeding of plain water. I'll start using the Mega Crop Equivalent Calculations to feed nutes from here on out.
I'm a bit concerned about my root issue. Not sure if I need to be or not as this is the first time I got roots like this. I think I made my drain holes too big & roots are coming straight out the bottom of the cups instead of branching out & making a root ball. Sure wish these pics would load so you can see what I mean. I have roots that are 6" - 8" long coming out the bottoms of the cups. Not just 1, but several. Not sure if I'll have to up-pot early to solve this or what.
Got any thoughts on it ?

***I'm trying to get really detailed on what I do & when I do it so I can use this journal as a guide for future grows. For that reason I'm putting in even the stupidest details. Kind of putting together my own personal grow guide for dummies so I'll be able to understand it later.... lol.

OK, going to try the pics again.

Hey BB - I use a combo of TS & 2 x switchable FS Burples and find it extremely useful (150w + 2 x 120w)
I have noticed in the past that under the FS LEDs it seems to induce frosting more quickly, even on the same plant, and they finish more quickly
The roots thing - I wonder if the two solo cup method actually encourages roots out of the bottom?
I start in plugs/LiteMix in a fibre pot and pot up as soon as I see root tips creeping through
I would be potting those up asap or you'll have to somehow curl the tap root

Did a restart on the computer & pics loaded so here they are.
So here's the little shot glass I use to water. Obviously not much water at all. But it stops me from overwatering. I find if I use a bigger glass I overwater. So this kind of limits how much water I give.
14-43                  (2-13).JPG

3 pics of the lil' ones to show growth so far.
14-44                  (2-13).JPG
14-45                    (2-13).JPG
14-46                  (2-13).JPG

Now for the part I'm concerned with..... The Roots !
14-47                  (2-13).JPG
14-48                   (2-13).JPG

And a pic of the plants under the Vipar.
14-49                  (2-13).JPG

I've got a thought: transplant now. Those roots aren't in the soil and can't help the plant grow like they would in soil.

Also, what is it with people wasting electricity on sprouts by turning the power up? I'd say lower the light if you want more lux!
Totally agree Shed - a less powerful light positioned closer is both more effective and more efficient
My 2 week old sprouts are under 60w blue LED @ about 18" and nice and stout - potting them up tomorrow

Success ! I got all 4 up-potted without ripping or losing a single root. Too Cool ! Didn't expect to be able to do that.
So here are the pics of the gals in their 1 gal. pots.
14-50                  (2-13).JPG
14-51                    (2-13).JPG
14-52                   (2-13).JPG
14-53                  (2-13).JPG
14-54                  (2-13).JPG

I decided to use the Mars Hydro TSL2000 since 4 1 gal. pots fit nicely across the length of it. I have it at 24".
14-55                  (2-13).JPG
14-56                  (2-13).JPG

At 24" & the TSL2000 running at 85% I get a LUX Reading of 297 x 100 = 29,700 LUX. I think 30,000 is the correct amount.... but close enough. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
14-57                  (2-13).JPG
14-58                  (2-13).JPG

So this is where I'm at so far. I'll have to check Temp & RH after the tents been closed up a couple hours to see where I'm at.

Back
Top Bottom