My humidity is too low: Can't for the life of me get it higher, mmmm, high

ScrogNub

So my Humidity is stuck around 23-25%. I have tried towels.... I've got pot trays filled with water... I even added an extra length of 6" tubing to my room's intake and have resorted to putting water in there in hopes of raising room intake humidity as a whole. (don't worry fan itself is higher than tubing - no water hazard there)

I was going to piece together a pump and misting kit off amazon and do a mini write up in my grow journal but not sure if that is the way to go. And most high pressure pumps that are reasonably priced are 12v and don't plug in a wall. Needing jerry riggin' to get going. Also diaphragm pumps are freaking loud... I don't want to listen to that all day neither do my kids.
Tried a humidifier and that didn't do but 1 or 2% at max so back it went.

Problem is my house is really dry from high efficiency furnace. And the air exhausts out the room/house fast to keep room temps down. That anything I do ...doesn't do jack or shit :)

Any ideas? Would a misting system with a timer either on the plants or on a box fan be the answer?

PLEASE NOTE: I do not have a tap in my room or this wouldn't be an issue. No I cannot run a garden hose from anywhere. I do have a 26g res I fill with a 50' hose at feed time. So pump would have to be used and water from res.

I also cam across this - its for reptiles and such. But its an all in one unit and seems to mist pretty good.

Exo Terra PT2493 Monsoon Multi System
81Qgd7G8pUL._SL1500_.jpg

Any help would be appreciated.

Maybe a small swamp cooler(evaporative cooler) in your grow space would help.
You probably don't need cooling,but they're great at adding moisture to the air. (and they don't really cool very well anyway)
WMart has some for 60-70bucks (and a good return policy if it doesn't do the job)

What size area are you growing in. Is it a tent?
Its like 10x10. Click my grow link in signature to see the actual room

Maybe a small swamp cooler(evaporative cooler) in your grow space would help.
You probably don't need cooling,but they're great at adding moisture to the air. (and they don't really cool very well anyway) WMart has some for 60-70bucks (and a good return policy if it doesn't do the job)

Think I would have add water way too much. Not always around. Not trusting anyone else to do it ^^

Buy a cheep oil defuser just dont put oil in just water. Bam 7$ humidifier
Tried that returned it already.

Keep em coming people! Thanks for the replies so far!

try this,,

towels are not the answer when they are wet and then hung ,,

P1170386.JPG

very crude,, but raised my rh in a tiny space by 20%

see the towel is hanging into a tray of water,, and if you look above kinda, a fan is blowing air onto the towel, or at least around it

i have to refill near two liters a day,, a full jug

you will have to fit the idea into your situation,,

cheers

try this,,

towels are not the answer when they are wet and then hung ,,

P1170386.JPG

very crude,, but raised my rh in a tiny space by 20%

see the towel is hanging into a tray of water,, and if you look above kinda, a fan is blowing air onto the towel, or at least around it

i have to refill near two liters a day,, a full jug

you will have to fit the idea into your situation,,

cheers
That’s clever.

no room for a humidifier in my flower room,, great idea tho,, shoulda thot of it myself,,

i would think a misting system like you see in arboretums and greenhouse directly over the plants would have to work. It’s the RH surrounding the plants that matters. Strong fans aren’t going to help that. Maybe turn them down too.

Strong fans aren’t going to help that.

Lol, yeah, that. Strong fans are what people use when they come home and find a leak has made the place "sticky humid," so that they can help move the humidity OUT and replace it with dryer air. Which is exactly what you're doing, since the general RH of your home is so low right now.

I looked at the product you provided the link to in the first post, and thought, "Wow, that seems expensive. Why not just get a drum-type humidifier that goes on your forced-air furnace, that way you can bring your house's RH up to a decent level?" So I did a quick search (there) for one. And now I'm thinking, "Wow, is everything expensive in Canada?" But, yes, if you can find one at a reasonable price (or handle the *unreasonable* ones, I suppose), then you can get one, install it, set it for a comfortable RH... and if you feel that your grow room's RH is still somewhat lower than you would like, well... you're not then trying to build a mountain by starting in a deep crater (so to speak). Might make you and your family feel a little better, too - they say (lol) that a good indoor RH range is 40% to 50%, but that you may have to settle for something lower if you are the type of person that gets put out by seeing condensation on your windows (and, I suppose, CBA to install those simple transparent plastic storm window kits that you stick on and then tighten up with a hair dryer). But even then, the recommendation is 30% to 40%.

Get the RH of the air you are bringing into your grow space up. Otherwise you're going to have issues. . . .

i would think a misting system like you see in arboretums and greenhouse directly over the plants would have to work. It’s the RH surrounding the plants that matters. Strong fans aren’t going to help that. Maybe turn them down too.

If I turn my intake/exhaust fans down temps get too high.

Get the RH of the air you are bringing into your grow space up. Otherwise you're going to have issues. . . .

Was going to put the misting system into the intake into the room so anything coming out that tube will be humidified to death...or at least that was my reasoning

I was going to suggest what tortured soul said and get a whole house humidifier on your furnace or make sure it’s functioning properly. Get the entire house up to 40% would help a lot, plus it saves money on utilities since it feels warmer at a lower temp.
I have the same problems in winter so if the plants are in veg I just turn off the exhaust and open some upper vents and that helps a lot

If I turn my intake/exhaust fans down temps get too high.

I read that. I meant the fans in the room, but only if you were misting directly over the plants (not blowing the mist away). The misting tubes and valves are directly over the plants (like a green house).
It works for exotics.

The whole house humidifier sounds even better.

Back
Top Bottom