420 Magazine Background

My introduction

onestepbeyond

Hi,

I joined the site to learn more about medical cannabis.

I'm a guy in my early 40's and I'm a 2-time cancer survivor now facing a possible 3rd recurrence. I'm "somewhat" physically disabled from multiple surgeries on my extremities, back and torso. I'm still active but do some adaptive style activities. Everyone has their limitations but mine are definitely more than most able bodied folks. This causes some anxiety and depression - definitely a lot of despair. It's hard living with a disorder that has become a chronic illness that is also disabling and potentially fatal. Sometimes I feel as though I'm waiting for the next shoe to drop, so to speak. Well, not sometimes, all the time. That's not to say I don't work, have hobbies and get out there and do things, I do, but the negativity and worries are always looming. I don't always let it show, but whatever. There's a song by a guy named Sidney Barnes it's called "I hurt on the other side." Sums it up.

I experience pain on a daily basis due to multiple benign tumors which exist throughout my body. I've been prescribed non-narcotic pain killers and they don't help all that much. The side effects are not the greatest. I have no interest in heavy narcotics like oxycontin or oxycodone, etc. Who wants to be constipated all day? I relied on those for weeks and weeks after my surgeries and it was awful. Shots of Maalox and prune juice didn't help much. Maybe the bowel issues for me are worse than others but it was just terrible. I suspect I could minimize my need for this after my upcoming surgery if I had access to the right strain.

So, I live in an area with a medical marijuana program but it is quite restrictive. Two of my doctors said they would be willing to help me out with getting into the program. I have a good relationship with both so I will explore this.

My experience with cannabis is limited. I've taken a few hits off joints/one-hitters in my life but that's about it. I mostly remember it burning the hell out of my lungs. I was always worried about legal issues too.

One doctor said we could just take it slowly, see how it makes me feel, if I tolerate it well and then take it from there. Obviously, identifying a strain or strains that help would be essential and that's why I want to go to the dispensary rather than getting whatever I can get from friends.

I bought a vaporizer in anticipation of trying it. I jumped the gun and bought a really nice one. I've tried it with some peppermint which was interesting. I'm not sure how well it works as I didn't get a giant cloud of vapor like I see in videos.

I look forward to participating. Thanks for reading.

Pittbull72

:welcome: Congratulations on finding the hands down best source of info for cannabis! I think you will find that there are strains to help you with everything from pain to your anxiety, as well as strains high in cbd content that are actually showing that they slow the progression of cancer! (or so iv read). The ability to grow your own meds is an added bonus. I never much cared for gardening (so to speak) but this is one hobby that is simply put, addicting!

Pantagruel

Welcome to :420: onestepbeyond. As pitbull72 says, the best source for cannabis info, period. We are also committed to ending prohibition worldwide.

There are so many strains I'm sure if you are persistent you will eventually find the ones that work best for you, not only physically but psychologically as well.

There are some handy links here in the New Member Start Links thread to help you navigate the site. And if you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask. The FAQs forum is the place, and you may find there that some of your questions have already been answered! :)

:welcome: :Namaste:

KROQ

Hi onestepbeyond :welcome:

You'll be able to find answers to ALL of your MJ questions on these forumns, just take some time and look around.
I'm about 10 years older than you and just started smoking in January. It's been sooo helpful. I can reduce pain, relieve stress, and calm my stomach so I can eat, naturally and on my own timetable.

Consider trying a glass pipe. That made the difference for me - I still don't care for joints or bongs.

I've listened to the Sydney Barnes song, here's mine: "I Wanna Get Better!" by the Bleachers. The video is a cool story on you tube.

:ciao:

onestepbeyond

I did the same thing, went out and bought a digital easy vape for $160 right when they hit the market. I know its healthier but it just doesn't do it for me (im just old school i guess). Its a completely different taste and different high as well (in my opinion). Nothing beats the taste of flowers out of a clean glass piece!:51:

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I saw some interesting looking "scientific glass" style bongs. Quite a few were very $$$ in my book. But I'm guessing a lot of work goes into them.

budnoob2

Hi osb, I've got some good MMJ links in my signature worth looking at and there a ton of other MMJ information on this site as well - I just happened to link my favorites. :peace:

Tamir

Hello onestepbeyond and :welcome: to 420mag. You have an amazing story of survival and I commend you. You should be able to find all the information that you need here on 420mag. If you are having inhalation issues with smoking, the guys above are correct in their advice. You can possibly also consider Edible MMJ.

ZenWarrior

Welcome onestepbeyond,

Very inspirational story! Glad you are here! You'll find a lot of helpful information here and there are very knowledgeable members to help you out.

I also suffer from anxiety and use medicinal marijuana to help with my symptoms. I recently wrote a blog post about living with anxiety that you should check out: Lifting the Fog - Blogs - 420 Magazine ®

My biggest advice that I can give you as a user of medicinal marijuana is to do your research. There are many varieties of treatments and methods. An example: every strain is different. They have different smells, tastes, textures and effects. So research to find what will work for what you need. Also consider looking for edibles with high CBD concentration if you are worried about the effects of smoking.

I hope you find the help you need! :thumb:

Top Bottom