My Mystery Indica Reveg

I've been leafing through Sneakygreen's outdoor grow journal and love what he's done with his grow and I've decided that I would do well to follow his example and scrog mine as well.

His journal can be found here Sneaky's White Widow x Big Bud Outdoor Feminized

So, looks like tomorrow I will be be busy setting up my own screen, which will better help control this lady as well as offer some much needed support for when she goes into full bud. But I haven't yet decided whether to use string to make the screen or just use some square mesh wire of the right size I just happen to have lying around. I've heard many say not to use chicken wire as it's a pain when it comes to harvest, but I don't foresee any major issues with the wire mesh I have so I'm leaning in that direction.

hey greengostarr

love the story man, who don't like a foundling/orphan story, looks like it could have a happy ending too. Looking good:thumb:

Not the most experianced grower round here, but I have used a screen before.

I had the same choice to make, went with hemp twine.

So glad I did, the buds grow around the screen. If I'd have used wire, removing them would have destoyed them. With the twine you can cut it and pull it through and out. No damage.

Just my opinion

:Namaste:

Thanks for your advice Piña Delores. Who wants to destroy buds amigo?
I've got plenty of twine, so that's not a problem.
Hmm, decision time.

Not a problem Sneaky and cheers.

Ok, frame is built and I've decided to go with twine. I've opted for a timber box frame that's simply screwed together. I can't find any nails to hook the twine around and, being Sunday, the hardware shop is closed so the final touches will have to wait till tomorrow. That's just as well, really, as it's her bed time in less than half an hour.

As it turns out, I didn't have nails, but had screws aplenty and they proved to be a better option anyway. I could screw the screw heads flush with the timber and they in turn secured the twine and had the added bonus of tightening the twine in the process; I can play it like a guitar! :)

I'll put the frame in place later when she wakes up and tuck her under good and proper and then trim off the excess branches. I'll take some pics in the morning once she's had a chance to recover somewhat. The screen is made up of 10 X 10 squares so that is 100 potential budding sites.

It's just dawned on me that I've just decided to do this as I'm decreasing the light schedule. Doh! With that in mind I've rethought this idea and have decided to leave her at the 16 hours of daylight she's currently on for a little while longer and then re-evaluate the light schedule depending on her progress.

Actually, this is not such a bad thing because with the decreased light schedule she should stretch more anyway.

So, Scrog frame in place and all tucked under. However, there is not all that much space left to fill - mainly the corners and outer edges. I think I'll still be looking at a flip around Boxing day.

Just a few quick pics before she goes to bed. She has come through the scrogging nicely and responding well to the light. I was expecting to prune off quite a few branches, but only ended taking off one. There are still quite a few underneath the screen and I'm just waiting for those to poke their heads through. I did, however, trim off quite a few fan leaves and will have to trim off some more soon. There are still 66 unused squares in the screen, but that does not reflect these unseen branches and I'm certain most of those vacant spaces will soon be filled. There is also some space around the outside edges of the screen and I have no problem at all allowing her to extend beyond the screen border.

I have read the debate between a suspended screen and one with legs like I have and it seems to predominately revolve around access. I have cleaned off a lot of the lower branches from the front and sides, but it is quite difficult to access the back and think this would be equally true were it a suspended screen as the problem is not the legs, but the size of the screen.

She was somewhat higher at the front so I have tilted the pot a little to equalise it and wedged it up at a slight angle. She has also lost some width in the scrogging process as I pulled some of the outer branches up into the screen, but I'm not even slightly worried about that and know she will soon spread out.

During the main vegging stage the light was drawing 137 watts from the wall and I flipped on the bloom lights last night adding another 255 watts and the difference in temperature was immediately apparent when I looked in on her this morning, but it's certainly nothing to worry about. As the veg light was not producing too much heat, I was very reluctant to use an extractor due to the relatively low temps in the room where the tent is situated, but as she grows and blossoms I will definitely install and run the extractor.

Furthermore, now the screen is in place I will have to create some form of platform for the fan so it blows across the main canopy as it's pointless to blow from below.

20161219_13_48_23_Pro.jpg

20161219_14_00_09_Pro.jpg

20161219_14_00_12_Pro.jpg

I'm wondering If I had scrogged from a very early staged whether I would have had to prune off so many of the branches. Something I will certainly look into for the next grow. Depending on the quality of the finished buds, I'm considering taking some clones from this at harvest time and then choosing the most vigorous and revegging those. It's a bugger when you only have one tent and can't veg one lot while the other is finishing flowering.

As it turns out, I didn't have nails, but had screws aplenty and they proved to be a better option anyway. I could screw the screw heads flush with the timber and they in turn secured the twine and had the added bonus of tightening the twine in the process; I can play it like a guitar! :)

I'll put the frame in place later when she wakes up and tuck her under good and proper and then trim off the excess branches. I'll take some pics in the morning once she's had a chance to recover somewhat. The screen is made up of 10 X 10 squares so that is 100 potential budding sites.

It's just dawned on me that I've just decided to do this as I'm decreasing the light schedule. Doh! With that in mind I've rethought this idea and have decided to leave her at the 16 hours of daylight she's currently on for a little while longer and then re-evaluate the light schedule depending on her progress.

Actually, this is not such a bad thing because with the decreased light schedule she should stretch more anyway.

I look at this post and it perfectly exemplifies my life philosophy in relation to plans; fixed, rigid plans can lead to carefully considered and predictable conclusions. Flexible plans, on the other hand, can lead you to as yet unconsidered and wonderful new opportunities.

I've noticed most people scrog when the plant is relatively mature, but I've got to wondering. As I'm planning on using four bud clones for the next grow, I'm thinking this screen would be perfect for LSTing the crazy internodal growth I saw with this mother. Of course I would modify the screen to allow it to be adjustable, but it seems perfect to me. And I would only supercrop once shortly before flipping, thus cutting down on the recovery time I've had this grow with my periodic supercropping.

I figure, by going down this route I can save myself a month's vegging time at least.

All of the expert level/professional tutorials I've watched begin scrogging at juvenile growth and supercropping those pesky overachievers, just as you mention. I've also seen the screen used to LST, as in they let the node grow through the screen then LST them flat.

Personally, had I not been so excited to start my Grow, I would have setup a scrog to do just that. As it is I'll essentially be doing to same thing by tying nodes down to create my flat canopy. I've got a lot of things to change for next Grow though.

All of the expert level/professional tutorials I've watched begin scrogging at juvenile growth and supercropping those pesky overachievers, just as you mention. I've also seen the screen used to LST, as in they let the node grow through the screen then LST them flat.

Personally, had I not been so excited to start my Grow, I would have setup a scrog to do just that. As it is I'll essentially be doing to same thing by tying nodes down to create my flat canopy. I've got a lot of things to change for next Grow though.

And that's why experience is the best teacher.

You would notice from the earlier entries in this journal that I was basically doing the same to keep her low and horizontal, but I kept hacking away branches as there was just not enough room for her to grow them all. I reckon I can control all those crazy offshoots better in the screen without having to trim away any. Anyway, time and experience will tell for me as well.

I tried topping and a half áss mainline before i installed the scrog, it took way to much time next grow ill top and do a little lst then install the scrog and do all my training with the net. Should be way faster.

I tried topping and a half áss mainline before i installed the scrog, it took way to much time next grow ill top and do a little lst then install the scrog and do all my training with the net. Should be way faster.

Hey, welcome aboard old man; good to see you here.

You and I are in complete agreement with using the screen to train, however, if I use bud clones and reveg them, there will definitely be no need for topping! :)

Back
Top Bottom