My new Amsterday trip, day 5-6

Hestia

Day 5, Sunday Apr. 12,Easter Sunday

After breakfast, and a nice steady buzz for me, we walked down the street to the bridge, crossed the canal behind us, and walked most of the way back. There was a Russian Orthodox church diagonally across the canal from our room, the landlady said they had good music and were only open on special days. On the Orthodox calendar this was still only Palm Sunday. Stopped in for a while, standing room only, no pews at all. Caught a word here and there in Dutch accented Russian, but the music was fabulous.

Walked to the central area via a different route, discussed what to do. Since L. wouldn't be around for the St. Nicholas boat tour, we decided to take one of the big tour boats together. Boarded just outside central station. Can see why the St. Nicholas people don't like the big boats, they are almost too big to make the turns. Still a fun and interesting interlude.

Ate at a sidewalk cafe next to where we caught the tour the day before, it had caught our eye and the smell had caught our attention then. Then in the word of one of L.'s old coworkers, we ran our traps. Translated from engineer speak, we mad the rounds of our favorite coffee shops. :smokin: 420 of course, and probably one other on the way to the Freeland, where we had to rub it in about the weather again. also scored a gram of S. S. H. -not bad a little bit dry -but not bad. Next to the Freeland is a shop with interesting sweets and sandwiches. We had to make a raid there for munchies. chicken sandwiches and chocolate. waffles On the way back to the room from there, L. had to try one of the green metal pissoirs just to be able to say he had done so. (yes I have a photo) returned to the room around 8 or so. And put our feet up Odd how about 10 miles a day will make your feed hurt. Weird, Ain't it. Munchies, TV, a buzz and bed.

DAy 6, EAster Monday April 13

Open our eyes to another sunny day in Amsterdam scurry up stairs and beg a early cup o Joe from Hennie . Creep back down and hit the terrace for an early morning eye opener.. .pipe me up scottie...... For most of the Dutch, Easter Monday seems to be a bigger holiday than Easter itself. Probably because it is a bank holiday and most of the stores are closed. Day started with a bigger than normal breakfast. Two, count'm two types of quiche, all the breads, cheeses and meats of previous breakfasts and a number of other interesting eatables. The parents of the kids staying in the other room were there as well as the landlady's son and his girlfriend. After the meal, once the parents left, we sat with the boys on the terrace and rolled up. Discussed the weed in B. C. and how good it is said to be there. we all had a great visit and I sent them off with a mondo buzz,:cool:
Have a good day kiddies.
This is L's last day in town, his plane leaves in the morning. So we planned to spend the day wandering around town. First to Vondel park, where we had barely entered previously. A beautiful place, even though it was undergoing renovation. Large areas were fenced off, being re-landscaped. The concession area was still open. Park was busy, full of people enjoying their
day off. We stooped and had drinks there just letting the day roll past -time is going to fast, too fast. time please slow down..... tomorrow comes to soon!

From there we wandered out a side entrance of the park and picked up a tram for Dam square at the Museumplein. Looking at the lines at the museum we were glad we had gone earlier in the week.
Had to visit Basjoe's again and find the Old Amsterdam. And the 420, hadn't been there yet today. And an almost obligatory jaunt through the red light district for L to get an eyeful before leaving. He says the first string was definitely on display.

Hit the Grey Zone, finally found it. Not that it was ever lost, just managed to walk by it earlier this trip. My last time in A'dam it was so packed I couldn't ever get in. This time it was just me, the Bud tender and one other guy. L. took a walk while I spent some time there. Near the Grey zone is a statue over the canal. Next to it are benches. L. Walked until a space opened then sat and watched the tourists snapping pictures of the statue and the canal.

First smoke I tried was a gram of Sleezak, very nice! An active buzz, definitely an eye opener. While sitting there I got to talking to the bud tender. A very knowledgeable young man who beguiled me with tales of bud new and old strains. In other words the kid knew his shit. thanks young brother..

After about half an hour I wandered out and found L wandering back to collect me. We went on our way back toward the room, and found a nice little restaurant with tables next to the canal, so the wait staff had to cross the street to serve the customers. We found a table with a view and had a bowl of pumpkin soup and some good dark European bread while watching the boats go by. Wondering if the big tour boat and the little local boat would manage to avoid each other and watching a couple of laughing young oriental girls in a pedal paddle boat totally out of control, bouncing off of the canal walls enjoying themselves. Then back to the room, a last smoke out on the terrace and a last night together for a week...... sigh!!

Hestia:peace:

Back
Top Bottom