My new friends: worm poo thread

I have recently listened to a podcast and watched a youtube video on making bedding/ feeding red wigglers amended compost. They amend compost with minerals, neem, karanja, malt barley, biochar, crab meal, probably a few other things. Does anyone know the recipe for doing this?

Just do it in the pot itself.
Put a couple hundred worms in a large fabric pot and start a cover crop and feed the worms the cover crop as it grows, trim it and chop it up for mulch.
Add a tablespoon of Gro-kashi once a week and maybe a finely chopped up organic banana peel about twice a month and you have fresh Unicorn Poop deposited into your pot daily.

Just do it in the pot itself.
Put a couple hundred worms in a large fabric pot and start a cover crop and feed the worms the cover crop as it grows, trim it and chop it up for mulch.
Add a tablespoon of Gro-kashi once a week and maybe a finely chopped up organic banana peel about twice a month and you have fresh Unicorn Poop deposited into your pot daily.

So do you need to worry about "escapees"? Do you find worms on your floor?

Not if your environment is good.
I am in 25 gallon fabric pot no-till with cover crop and mulch and I feed them Gro-kashi and organic banana peel.
They are living in worm Shangri-la.
Never had one crawl out.
I am going to expand my indoor grow space from 3' x 3' to 3' x 6', thinking about just making it one or two raised beds no til style. Would probably be great idea to include the worms. I will start build after I finish current grow. I should be harvesting current grow within the next week as I am just entering 10th week of flower on two 10 week strains...

From Jeremy Silva at buildasoil mostly.
Plus bits and pieces from others like Chris Trump, Kyle Kushman.
Plus my own basic knowledge of plant biology.
I retired from Scripps Institute of Oceanography as a Marine Biologist with my main study in cyanobacteria and related toxins.
So I have a working knowledge in biology so didn't get into it as a total neophyte.

Nice.... the ever present blue algae we see occasionally up north is a good one to avoid. lol

Jeremy used to be a member here. Got a lot his inspiration from Clackamas Coots as did I.

Trump is a guy that uses a lot of KNF principles/practices. They get pretty off the beaten path. I'm tame compared to those people with regard to organic farming.

Plant biology is a fascinating subject. Wish more folks that grow weed picked up a basic 1st year textbook on the subject. It'd be eye opening and likely help with the wallet.

You know they are our ancestors, the worms?

True Story
Not quite actually, although worms and humans share common ancestors (Eucaryotes) worms actually broke off into their own branch, the annelids, since they are protostomes (their mouth is formed in its embryonic stage before the anus is) . Humans and all mammals on the other hand are deuterostomes and their anus is formed first as we develop.

Back
Top Bottom