My new Portascrog prototype

Sctanley007

Don’t know what I was thinking but started autos and photos around the same time and my BI is booming. I still have 6 weeks left on the auto and didn’t want to top so I got creative.

4 threaded rods, nuts and washers and part of an old fishing trap slightly modified. I’ll probably change the screen after I see how this works.

Attachments

• 925B546D-178F-4860-AF74-F981483936FB.jpeg
    925B546D-178F-4860-AF74-F981483936FB.jpeg
    630.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 49D41352-DFA7-4A3E-95BB-C3F5979E7D0D.jpeg
    49D41352-DFA7-4A3E-95BB-C3F5979E7D0D.jpeg
    695.7 KB · Views: 32
Don’t know what I was thinking but started autos and photos around the same time and my BI is booming. I still have 6 weeks left on the auto and didn’t want to top so I got creative.

4 threaded rods, nuts and washers and part of an old fishing trap slightly modified. I’ll probably change the screen after I see how this works.
Nice set up. I really like this.

Looks great :thumb: . I use a similar style, but with old arrow shafts, homemade screens, and cable loop organizers to connect the screens to the shafts. Your system looks better- though a little slower to adjust. I think you’ll find the lower portion of the ready-rod will rust eventually unless you’re using stainless. Probably not a problem though since you won’t need to run the nuts on the lower part, and hopefully a little rust won’t affect the plants.

Looks great :thumb: . I use a similar style, but with old arrow shafts, homemade screens, and cable loop organizers to connect the screens to the shafts. Your system looks better- though a little slower to adjust. I think you’ll find the lower portion of the ready-rod will rust eventually unless you’re using stainless. Probably not a problem though since you won’t need to run the nuts on the lower part, and hopefully a little rust won’t affect the plants.

Dude!!!! I never thought of using arrow shafts. I have a ton of old ones laying around.

:) I haven’t yet found the best option for connecting the shafts to the screens. There must be something out there. I visualize some sort of quick release clamp that you could just squeeze to temporarily release and let the shaft slide freely. . Almost anything works in a pinch though and a fair number of my cable loop thingies have busted off and been replaced by with wire or pipe cleaners.
Also I find that I don’t need to adjust them very often. Mosty I just jam the whole contraption on top and deal with whatever happens when it happens.

Now you have me thinking about a quick release idea.

I figured set it and forget it. I wasn’t thinking about having to adjust it later.

I’ve never scrogged before and I’m not topping her so any advise would be greatly appreciated.

I have lst’d Here’s a pic of my NL auto and a clone that I’ve spread.

Attachments

• FC0A3D9E-7BDF-4D8E-85D6-6BA9A910618B.jpeg
    FC0A3D9E-7BDF-4D8E-85D6-6BA9A910618B.jpeg
    636.9 KB · Views: 23
  • D2EC5318-69E0-472C-8D66-C02470DEAE6C.jpeg
    D2EC5318-69E0-472C-8D66-C02470DEAE6C.jpeg
    679.4 KB · Views: 26
Well any specifics feel totally free to ask. My system is a bit unorthodox in that I put the screens on only after I’ve moved them to flowering. It’s just too much of a pain to put them on in veg and then haul them through into the flowering room later.
I don’t spend a lot of time in the grow so I usually end up just scrogging the plants that are the most floppy, overgrown and dishevelled.
I find I can jam that screen on at any time, even halfway through flowering if necessary. Even if the screen is technically too crowded, pretty much any plant can be tied down and tortured into a 2 dimensional space. Sometimes I need to prune a bunch of growth out if I’ve overgrown things too badly.
I don’t do a bunch of weaving and tucking. The longest limbs are dragged roughy through screen spaces at the time I put the screen on. After that there is basically no more tucking. It’s too hard on the limbs which tend to break. The screen is just something to attach to- and I use pipe cleaners to tie the limbs down- basically just laying them down wherever there is space on the screen and bending them to grow in whatever direction I can find more room.

Your plants look great. I don’t think you’d need to do any more topping, just let them grow and get some more height/length to fill a screen with.
I don’t grow autos but don’t see many people scrogging them. They grow so fast on a set timeline that nobody wants to do anything to set them back at all- so usually it’s a matter of letting them run (mostly) free.

Thanks for all you’re advice. I’m just planning on stretching the limbs across the under the grid. Whatever pushes through will then be secured topside by pipe cleaners. Correct?

You’re right about the level of abuse these plants can take. I think back to the torture I inflicted on then as I got my feet wet. They still produced

None of the three plants have been topped, just tied down. The clone is from my first grow which was bag seed. I took her two weeks into flower and have just pinned her down with pieces of clothes hangers.

Yep - all the action takes place above the screen. It helps a bit if the limb pokes through from below at a convenient spot, but even that doesn’t matter much as you can just twist and bend them to lay them down wherever you want, and tie them loosely down with pipe cleaners/whatever.
I rarely top anymore, just bend them over to increase the growth of the lower branches. It doesn’t take much to produce a bushy plant. But really there are many methods to get to the same bushy result.

Ok stupid question or I’m just dense...a combo of both I’m sure.

The main is pushing the screen. Do I keep this stalk under the screen and let the other branches on the plant and the stalk through and then tie down?

I’m totally over thinking this shit

I would try to have everything, at least everything that you want to grow bigger, above the screen as much as possible. The screen tends to shade things somewhat and I find that above is always better than below unless you have good reason to keep it down there for limb-routing purposes.

Also - like to have about 10” or so of space between the screen and the pot so I can easily get in there to trim and water.
The only reason I can think of that you’d want to keep it below the screen would be if you are trying to grow it longer there so you can bring it up through in a specific spot, rather than just bringing it straight up through and then bending it later. Hmmm... am I even making sense...:hmmmm:

that looks awesome right there. I've not been good at scrogging but am good at LST. I like it this way as the plant is still "mobile" and not locked under a fixed net. Sweet!

:Namaste:

Thanks that was from some years back and I have improved the design using PLASTIC POTS
If interested here is a link to my DIY rim mount scrog net design FYI I have actually improved it
some since that posting

DIY Rim Mount design

Back
Top Bottom