My organic bud tastes disgusting and has zero effect - Help me figure out what is going on?

Grossbuds

420 Member
I've been growing for 3 years now and have thrown away the bud from nearly every plant. The taste is very bad in almost all strains, and the effect is not there either. I am completely lost, and my mental state is suffering because of it.

I used to buy lbs of various quality from Norcal/Oregon, and enjoyed it all, I'm personally not picky whatsoever, but when my mothers cancer returned I was determined to start producing something she liked with guarantee of no eagle 20 and other poisons. My bud is worse than anything I've ever experienced. Worse than commercial hydro, worse than brickweed, by FAR. The flavor is not simply lacking, basic or hay like, it's like smoking tomatoe vines or something. The leaves and stalks of vegatables. Not vegatal or grassy, but like failed flavor chemistry, like the flavor truck crashed in a sinkhole on the way to the flavor factory, like you're eating the wrong parts of plants. The stems of pepper plants. Hard to explain, but it's intolerable and comes with zero effects other than a disgusted look on the face.

I started with Clackamas coots mix and 27 different strains from reputable genetics. The vast majority of seed I've popped all have their distinct familiar smells when rubbed as seedlings, but the smell slowly fades to more generic, then either vanishes or turns into a hot dog/spam kind of smell. For the most part (details below), the only 3 strains that ended up smelling or tasting like weed after harvest have been two Catpiss and a 707 Kush from 707 seedbank, and they were spot on, no weird off flavors, but extremely light, barely there Cannabis flavors (Tomcat spray plus liquid handsoap, in a good way, and orange Starburst OG if anyone's curious). Everything else for the most part has a nearly identical bitter, inedible "food scrap" flavor and defective non Cannabis aroma that makes me cringe and often leaves a salty taste on the lips. The effects have been zilch on all those plants.

I've grown coots mix from different suppliers, I've made my own, increased the rates, decreased the rates. I've added calcium, I've removed calcium. I've used a jug of organic potassium-fulvate, potassium citrate, potassium acetate at the minimum rates, and the maximum rate. I've dumped tons of potassium sulfate and sulpomag in the soil during flower. I've tried guanos, worm castings, amino acids, seabird guano, manures of all kind, multiple brands of compost, heavy compost light compost, no compost. Compost teas. Molasses. Table sugar, brown sugar, acetic acid, citric acid, tap water, RO water, high pH low ph, I've added trace minerals until they made the plants flop over for 2 weeks. Nothing I've tried in 3 years is helping. My buds are yielding perfectly fine, and honestly look great. But I have to toss them, for the muddy, burnt, salty food scrap defective flavors and zero effect.

I'm sure some of you are convinced this is a disease or other environmental issue. I would think the same except for the following information:

Here's the 3 clues I have, that make me certain this is strictly a nutrient issue:

1: When growing Chem and OG type crosses, the house would fill with lovely garlic and acidic weed aromas after transplant into bigger pots. That lasts about a week, then it's gone again.

2: I'm in the desert and at one time tried growing without a humidifier. The RH wouldn't register on any meter, essentially zero. The seedlings all had super strong aromas when rubbed, but most would curl up and die within a week or so, unless I transplanted every week or so, which got old and usually failed before harvest.

3: The small percentage of plants that survived the zero humidity situation,and could be flowered, all stunk extremely loud in flower, smelled and tasted great, all of them. Great effects also. But the buds were super whispy, and the yield was not even worth it, like less than a gram of super larf per branch.

So, to summarize, my organically grown plants smells change after a week or two of growth, the smell recovers after transplant then is gone in a week or two, hardly any of my properly grown bud ends up smokable or has any effect, yet the whispy crumbs of larf grown at 95 degrees with zero % humidity are across the board great tasting smoke with great effects. What the heck is going on? My next attempt, if nobody stops me, is to dump a bunch of garden sulfur into my mix and try to using silica products to maintain ph.

PS. This is not a drying or curing issue, in case anyone goes there.

The "properly grown" buds that tasted like trash and had zero effect looked like this:
Bud2.jpg

The zero humidity "buds" that actually smell taste and feel great looked like this:
Bud1.jpg

What is going on???

The first plant is overfertilized
Agree.

Your not letting those plants flower long enough. They’re not ripe. The long hairs on the top pic and the lack of ANY swollen calyxes, IMMATURE. The second picture is full of white pistils. NOT EVEN CLOSE. Let those cultivars go at least FOUR MORE WEEKS. They will swell and start to stink from stressing it’s end of life being near and still a virgin.
As far as smell during transplant—Perfectly normal—A content plant in veg isn’t going to smell much but give it a little stress and she gonna release some terpins.

I've been growing for 3 years now and have thrown away the bud from nearly every plant. The taste is very bad in almost all strains, and the effect is not there either. I am completely lost, and my mental state is suffering because of it.

I used to buy lbs of various quality from Norcal/Oregon, and enjoyed it all, I'm personally not picky whatsoever, but when my mothers cancer returned I was determined to start producing something she liked with guarantee of no eagle 20 and other poisons. My bud is worse than anything I've ever experienced. Worse than commercial hydro, worse than brickweed, by FAR. The flavor is not simply lacking, basic or hay like, it's like smoking tomatoe vines or something. The leaves and stalks of vegatables. Not vegatal or grassy, but like failed flavor chemistry, like the flavor truck crashed in a sinkhole on the way to the flavor factory, like you're eating the wrong parts of plants. The stems of pepper plants. Hard to explain, but it's intolerable and comes with zero effects other than a disgusted look on the face.

I started with Clackamas coots mix and 27 different strains from reputable genetics. The vast majority of seed I've popped all have their distinct familiar smells when rubbed as seedlings, but the smell slowly fades to more generic, then either vanishes or turns into a hot dog/spam kind of smell. For the most part (details below), the only 3 strains that ended up smelling or tasting like weed after harvest have been two Catpiss and a 707 Kush from 707 seedbank, and they were spot on, no weird off flavors, but extremely light, barely there Cannabis flavors (Tomcat spray plus liquid handsoap, in a good way, and orange Starburst OG if anyone's curious). Everything else for the most part has a nearly identical bitter, inedible "food scrap" flavor and defective non Cannabis aroma that makes me cringe and often leaves a salty taste on the lips. The effects have been zilch on all those plants.

I've grown coots mix from different suppliers, I've made my own, increased the rates, decreased the rates. I've added calcium, I've removed calcium. I've used a jug of organic potassium-fulvate, potassium citrate, potassium acetate at the minimum rates, and the maximum rate. I've dumped tons of potassium sulfate and sulpomag in the soil during flower. I've tried guanos, worm castings, amino acids, seabird guano, manures of all kind, multiple brands of compost, heavy compost light compost, no compost. Compost teas. Molasses. Table sugar, brown sugar, acetic acid, citric acid, tap water, RO water, high pH low ph, I've added trace minerals until they made the plants flop over for 2 weeks. Nothing I've tried in 3 years is helping. My buds are yielding perfectly fine, and honestly look great. But I have to toss them, for the muddy, burnt, salty food scrap defective flavors and zero effect.

I'm sure some of you are convinced this is a disease or other environmental issue. I would think the same except for the following information:

Here's the 3 clues I have, that make me certain this is strictly a nutrient issue:

1: When growing Chem and OG type crosses, the house would fill with lovely garlic and acidic weed aromas after transplant into bigger pots. That lasts about a week, then it's gone again.

2: I'm in the desert and at one time tried growing without a humidifier. The RH wouldn't register on any meter, essentially zero. The seedlings all had super strong aromas when rubbed, but most would curl up and die within a week or so, unless I transplanted every week or so, which got old and usually failed before harvest.

3: The small percentage of plants that survived the zero humidity situation,and could be flowered, all stunk extremely loud in flower, smelled and tasted great, all of them. Great effects also. But the buds were super whispy, and the yield was not even worth it, like less than a gram of super larf per branch.

So, to summarize, my organically grown plants smells change after a week or two of growth, the smell recovers after transplant then is gone in a week or two, hardly any of my properly grown bud ends up smokable or has any effect, yet the whispy crumbs of larf grown at 95 degrees with zero % humidity are across the board great tasting smoke with great effects. What the heck is going on? My next attempt, if nobody stops me, is to dump a bunch of garden sulfur into my mix and try to using silica products to maintain ph.

PS. This is not a drying or curing issue, in case anyone goes there.

The "properly grown" buds that tasted like trash and had zero effect looked like this:
Bud2.jpg

The zero humidity "buds" that actually smell taste and feel great looked like this:
Bud1.jpg

What is going on???
You harvested too soon.
That bottom bud has 3 weeks left to mature.
Thc forms in the later stages of flowering.
Harvesting before the buds are ready will be detrimental for their effectiveness.
Harvesting at the right time will help, along with a proper cure.
Just 2 cents. :Namaste:
Hope your having a great day my friend.

Stay safe
Bill284 :cool:

Yeah besides the early harvest I'm curious as to why no effects. Even an early harvest will produce some effects or at least a headache. The first Pic has some frost so curious as to why no effects at all when the trichomes are visible.

Literally not one of those things had anything to do with nutes

Hello there C, @StoneOtter gave me a heads up because I grow in the desert. I'm at around 3,000 ft above the desert floor but enjoy the almost negative humidity and weeks of 100+
Temps. Budworms were the main reason I built small shade houses (using the green or tan shade cloth you'll find at lowes or wherever)for my girls. They work wonders as far as the worms go. I still get thrips occasionally but the bonus is protection against the wind and crazy thunderstorms we get here. I grow in regular garden soil and use a little green fertilizer until flowering, then switch to GH Kool bloom, etc. I make sure the soil never totally dries up. They're on a drip 2x a day. I've always had tasty outdoor nugs (the Afghani was really piney!) But I let them REALLY mature and I budwash all outdoor colas. That makes them even danker..
And a slow cure helps. So maybe let em mature more. Wait for amber brother. I hope this rambling nonsense helps.
Stay stoneder.

Hello there C, @StoneOtter gave me a heads up because I grow in the desert. I'm at around 3,000 ft above the desert floor but enjoy the almost negative humidity and weeks of 100+
Temps. Budworms were the main reason I built small shade houses (using the green or tan shade cloth you'll find at lowes or wherever)for my girls. They work wonders as far as the worms go. I still get thrips occasionally but the bonus is protection against the wind and crazy thunderstorms we get here. I grow in regular garden soil and use a little green fertilizer until flowering, then switch to GH Kool bloom, etc. I make sure the soil never totally dries up. They're on a drip 2x a day. I've always had tasty outdoor nugs (the Afghani was really piney!) But I let them REALLY mature and I budwash all outdoor colas. That makes them even danker..
And a slow cure helps. So maybe let em mature more. Wait for amber brother. I hope this rambling nonsense helps.
Stay stoneder.
Thanks Fred! :love:

Back
Top Bottom