My Plant leaves are looking weird

Dj-Bunny

Hello. This is my first grow. I have been growing outdoors on my 2nd story balcony. I started with 5 germinated seeds and ended up with 3 female plants. It has been very good so far. I have one that started flowering very early. It is almost ready to harvest. I am using the Flora Grow/Micro/Bloom nutrients. When the pistols were 25% brown, I stopped using nutes and flushed the entire soil of the plant. They are about 50% brown now, a week after I flushed, and the leaves have started to look weird. Looks like some type of deficiency. Here are some pictures of the leaves...
IMAG0319.jpg

This picture is kinda hard to see the yellowing in the veins.
IMAG0320.jpg

This one is easier to see the yellowing in the veins.

I'm not sure what this could be. I am thinking that it is an early stage of Potassium but I am not sure.

I also have another issue with one of my plants. It is in the same place right next to the other one, it is just about 2-3 weeks into it's flowering stage. Again, I think it is a Potassium deficiency (a later stage than the other one) but I am not sure. Here are some pictures of what they look like.
IMAG0318.jpg

IMAG0317.jpg

I went out of town this last weekend and when I got back this is what I found.

Someone please help me. I check this site almost every day and am more than happy to give more information to help me solve this issue. :blunt::blunt::blunt:

Re: My Plant leaves are looking weird.

ok great thanks. But that only solves one of my problems. What about the second plant? It has just started to flower and it is even worse than the one that is flushed. It is actually starting to get brown spots on the outer rim of the leaves.

Firstly, once the lady begins her flowering stage, it is quite normal to drop the leaves especially the large "fan" leaves. Over time, she'll drop most. They yellow quickly and die off in about 2-3 days. There is debate as to wither they should be immediately removed once noticed as the plant is wasting energy trying to save the leaf. The other side of the debate feels that leaving the leaf on until it is completely brown is to keep and utilize the sugars and other minerals that these leaves have already expended her energy getting them absorbed and converted for the major food source of the plant. This be your call. I leave them on until they dry out figuring there is no more movement amongst the juices.
Nute deficiencies, possibly, but most look like the beginnings of the death or yellowing. Those dark brown, necroded sections look like nute splash, or concentration. Never folar spray or any other wetting when lights are on. Best to do with an ambient light source away from the plants and no heat on the leaves. For some reason, the water on the leaf coupled with the light and heat absorption, causes this burn.

I was curious about when to cut leaves that are dying so thank you for this information. Very helpful.

Firstly, once the lady begins her flowering stage, it is quite normal to drop the leaves especially the large "fan" leaves. Over time, she'll drop most. They yellow quickly and die off in about 2-3 days. There is debate as to wither they should be immediately removed once noticed as the plant is wasting energy trying to save the leaf.

Sorry to hijack the thread but I have a question on this. My fan leaves are yellowing/browning/deforming and so on 44 days into Veg (I haven't switched lighting to flower). I have a few different problems but just about all the fan leaves are showing what I described in one form or another. Based on what you say about these starting to turn once into flowering, can it be possible that although my plant is not showing any other signs of maturity the fact that these leaves are becoming problematic means that I should switched my lighting up and should move the plant into flowering mode??? Thanks!

Edit to add - the fan leaves I'm talking about are the largest and oldest on the plant. My plant is extremely bushy and the fan leaves with problems are on the primary nodes opposite of one another, mostly covered by new growth. The good, younger fan leaves are topside on suckers that grew out from the primary node sites. Some have dark brown tips and some are perfectly healthy but these are no where near the condition of the those I described above...

Hi mate,
Looks like maybe some Phosphorous Def. and Potassium.. There is a chart of plant deficiencies and how it looks on your leaf, give this a look mate and it should point you in the right direction! Smokemup..

Sorry to hijack the thread but I have a question on this. My fan leaves are yellowing/browning/deforming and so on 44 days into Veg (I haven't switched lighting to flower). I have a few different problems but just about all the fan leaves are showing what I described in one form or another. Based on what you say about these starting to turn once into flowering, can it be possible that although my plant is not showing any other signs of maturity the fact that these leaves are becoming problematic means that I should switched my lighting up and should move the plant into flowering mode??? Thanks!

Edit to add - the fan leaves I'm talking about are the largest and oldest on the plant. My plant is extremely bushy and the fan leaves with problems are on the primary nodes opposite of one another, mostly covered by new growth. The good, younger fan leaves are topside on suckers that grew out from the primary node sites. Some have dark brown tips and some are perfectly healthy but these are no where near the condition of the those I described above...

Are you 44 days in veg outside or inside?

It is perplexing to say the least. Yellowing leaves are a part of the plants life. I have had "bushes", usually Sat Dom. Hybrids, that drop leaves from the beginning to the end as if they grow new and drop the oldest in a perpetual cycle. The strain specifics cause all the differences and with today's enormous amount of Hybrids, it's hard to determine which exact influences are apparent as the plant grows.
I have also had plants that rarely loose leaves. I wouldn't get too worried as long as you can still see new (and vigorous) growth, that's you best barometer of the plants health. We have ALL been through what you are experiencing; what is personally learned is the most valuable. Also, some plants will start to mature without you influencing them. I am in Northern California and outdoors, some plants actually switch to flower as soon as the days grow shorter (late July) even though the daylight hours are still around 13.5-14.0! Again, it is MHO that this is the result of all the crossings that have been rapidly been developed over the past 20 years.
Your best teacher is gonna' be you. As you win/loose in the quest to produce the best dank that you can. If I had the same results I first had back in the 70's, I wouldn't be growing. I have learned the hard way due to when I first got into growing my own. Hell, my very first plant, I remember taking some of the first leaves, drying them and then rolling a dube to partake. Horrible! Worthless! Back then, I hadn't ever heard of a Trichome for God's sake... Be patient and you'll do just fine. One last thing... if you do determine that you have some deficiencies, please don't rush in and over compensate. Less is more when it come to fertilizers. Remember that you can always add more, but once you've gone and added too much, it is almost impossible to reverse and the shock this gives a plant can and will, set her back 2 weeks if not permanently. It took me a couple of grows to get the nutrients down and to this day, I still remain cautious.

Are you 44 days in veg outside or inside?

Inside closet grow. I flushed her three weeks ago because of other problems and haven't fed nutes again until three days ago. PH testing is limited but what I used for soil and water comes in between 6-7. Unless the test gear is terrible. Anyway ..based on Paul's yellowing fan comment I am hoping this could relate to that instead of a real problem..

Paul ..thanks. i'll respond later when more time.

Haha ...that's a good story, Paul. It's fun to hear stories like that, way back when where there was no Internet (or ability to confide in others) ...to prevent you from smoking leaves :)

But that in and of itself can also be part of the problem. The Internet is like info overload!!! Anyway, I've drawn up some more extensive details about my grow available through my signature. I feel bad enough about hijacking the OP's thread enough. In case it doesn't show up right here's the link with my most recent experience, interpretation and facts of my first grow listed (Here). Thanks again for chiming in...

:bump::bump::bump:
It has been a couple days and has gotten really bad... heres some pics. I'm not sure if it is supposed to do this of not but please someone give me some input.
IMG_20120929_095753.jpg

IMG_20120929_095747.jpg

If the leaves just turned yellow and died I wouldn't even consider something being wrong but they look like they are burning from something. I haven't sprayed anything on the leaves or anything. Just gave nutrients through watering.

@WhiteDynomite Dont worry about it man. This is a great community for all. Hope you get your questions answered too.

:bump::bump::bump:
It has been a couple days and has gotten really bad... heres some pics. I'm not sure if it is supposed to do this of not but please someone give me some input.
If the leaves just turned yellow and died I wouldn't even consider something being wrong but they look like they are burning from something. I haven't sprayed anything on the leaves or anything. Just gave nutrients through watering.

@WhiteDynomite Dont worry about it man. This is a great community for all. Hope you get your questions answered too.

Yep, there's definitely a burn happening but still, it's hard to diagnose things from afar. When in doubt, STOP the nutrients and flush. Flush with at least 2X the container size with clean, filtered or distilled water. pH-ed too. This means that if your plant's container is say 2 gallons, flush with at least 4 gallons if not 6. Remove the saucer take outside and run that water through. Do not re-use the water. Point being nutrients create a build-up of their salts and literally poison the plant. In soil especially like the rich soil you have, it really isn't necessary to add nutrients for the first grow in that soil. There's so many minerals and nutrients already there that the addition of more nutrients becomes overkill and I believe that's what you have going on here. Still difficult to know for sure, but flushing will only help. Just don't do it too fast and drown the plant. Pour some water in and fill it up, and then let it drain out the bottom and let stand a bit and repeat until you've used up that 2X to 3X volume of clean water.

Back
Top Bottom