My plants hate nutrients! Why?

staynew49

So the pH is always good. I did start with good soil but I have only given Nutrients twice and they got Nute Burn both times them seem to be more healthy with no nutrients. I have not been giving any except two time onces when they had 5 sets of leaves and once two weeks ago both times got burned. They are revived and don't appear to need any, but some bottom leaves are turning yellow and dying here and there. So I'm about to switch to flowering,

Should I try the nutes again or leave them alone?

The pictures of the damaged leaves is after giving nutes and the other is them now looking more healthy with no more Nute usage.
IMG_20200802_115406.jpg
IMG_20200802_113323.jpg
IMG_20200802_113342.jpg
IMG_20200813_121631.jpg
IMG_20200802_113419.jpg
IMG_20200802_115344.jpg

Oh ya I water every 2-3 days where the pot is light with 10 -20% run off always test my pH and ppm, ppm is different for all the plants though none of them the same, some at 700 some at 1000, pH between 5.8 and 6.2 can't seem to get it to 6.5-6.8 with the pH up it just stays the same. The stems are turning purple too probably right about the phosphorus. Should I start them on a light dose of nutes next water, I'm using advanced nutrients micro grow bloom and they have had cal mag twice as well.

Tomorrow is watering day so I guess I'll try giving them 1/4 of the recommended. I'm am still supposed to get run off when watering with the nutes right? Also should I just do the nutes or add the cal mag at the same time?
You can add cal-mag with the nutrients. Also the stems turning purple can be a trait of said genetic.

My plant did the same. I veg’ed her for 60 days. I didn’t introduce big grow until around day 45. That week I noticed the plant reacting to it so I flushed it and flushed it and flushed it. Hoping it recovers. She went into flower yesterday so...fingers crossed.

My plant did the same. I veg’ed her for 60 days. I didn’t introduce big grow until around day 45. That week I noticed the plant reacting to it so I flushed it and flushed it and flushed it. Hoping it recovers. She went into flower yesterday so...fingers crossed.
It should recover just fine I didn't even do a full flush and my ladies recovered for the most part lol, I'm just so scared that it's gonna happen again

Oh ya I water every 2-3 days where the pot is light with 10 -20% run off always test my pH and ppm, ppm is different for all the plants though none of them the same, some at 700 some at 1000, pH between 5.8 and 6.2 can't seem to get it to 6.5-6.8 with the pH up it just stays the same. The stems are turning purple too probably right about the phosphorus. Should I start them on a light dose of nutes next water, I'm using advanced nutrients micro grow bloom and they have had cal mag twice as well.

Looks like a pH issue to me. When you say you add more pH up and the pH doesn't go up. Your pH pen aint working.. Check your pH pen with your test water pH and calibrate it.

Check your pH pen.... that's not under watering. Not enough water and the plants wilt and loose leaves. You have necrosis from not enough nutrient uptake and nutrient lock out from improper pH. So you either are not pH'ing your water properly and/or your pH pen aint working proper.

When was the last time you calibrated your pH pen. They 10$ I have 2 and verify when/if problems rear their ugly head. It can be fixed. Just have to figure out what the problems are.

Oh ya I water every 2-3 days where the pot is light with 10 -20% run off always test my pH and ppm, ppm is different for all the plants though none of them the same, some at 700 some at 1000, pH between 5.8 and 6.2

Coco is a hydroponic media, your nutrient solution should be around 5.8 to 5.9 (some variance is okay, but not the 6.5 to 6.8 you're trying for. You're mixing up your nutrient solution, then testing its pH, determining it to be somewhere between 5.8 (which is fine) and 6.2 (too high), then you're adding some sort of pH Up product and it's not changing? Yeah, that's a pH meter issue, as others have pointed out. And a significant one, at that; even if it was out of calibration, raising the pH of your nutrient solution would still cause a functional pH meter to show an increase when you tested that solution (it just wouldn't show the correct pH). And why are you feeding all of your plants different strength nutrient solutions, lol?

that's not under watering

All things considered, the person probably was underwatering. Not watering frequently enough, anyway. He (or she, whichever applies) appears to be a newbie grower, is running coco in fabric containers... and only recently learned that he/she is trying to grow in coco. And once that stuff dries out, it seems to still have "pockets" of dry media here and there even after the gardener thinks it has been fully hydrated again, for some reason. Which tends to cause issues.

Come to think of it... I wonder if the OP even knew to rinse, rinse, rinse the coco before using it? And to presoak it in something like a weak calcium nitrate solution with a bit of Epsom salt (or other source of magnesium) in order to exchange the sodium and potassium ions that it's naturally loaded with for calcium (and magnesium, although that part isn't strictly necessary). Which means OP is likely to have calcium-related issues throughout the grow.

If someone gave those plants to me, I'd try to figure out a way to place them into non-porous containers (with drain holes only on the bottom) and give them a soak in a weak Ca(NO3)2 solution overnight, possibly by using my bathtub due to the size of the plants/containers. If that would be deep enough? Although at least two companies that sell the stuff states that the soak should last for two days:
How do I buffer cocopeat?

A very simple method is to use a bunker (washbay) system to buffer the cocopeat. It can be done in lots of 25, 50, 75, 100, 125 or 150 cubic meters at a time – depending on the size of your washbay.

The first step is to hydrate or expand the cocopeat completely. Once expanded, leave the cocopeat until these is no more water runoff.

The next step is to mix Calcium Nitrate at a ratio of 8 Kilos per 1,000 litres of water.

The recommended buffering ratio is 200 litres of treated water (i.e. water mixed with Calcium Nitrate) per 1 Cubic Meter (or +/- 15 x 5kg blocks) of cocopeat – alternatively: 1,000 litres of water mixed with 7 kg of Calcium Nitrate will buffer 5 Cubic Meters of cocopeat. Ideally the treated water should be administered over a 24 hour period via a slow sprinkler system if possible.

After the treated water has been applied, leave the heap for 2 days for the buffer to take full effect and for optimum results.

Once the resting period is over, rinse the cocopeat once more – i.e. let the all the water runoff, fill the washbay again with water and let it then run off once more.

Now you will have buffered cocopeat.

It is suggested that a totally soluble CANO (Calcium Nitrate) is used if available. Field grade CANO can also be used if the mixture is adequately agitated to dissolve the particles.

The method described above is the best, most practical and simplest of buffering methods. If sprinklers are not available, one can simple soak the cocopeat in the treated water – just ensure that the cocopeat and water are well mixed.

150 cubic meters of the stuff, LMAO. If I'm not mistaken, that's about 9,600 gallons more than the capacity of the average 20'x40' inground swimming pool. I'm guessing that they sell to more than just hobby growers ;).

DISCLAIMER: I am not any kind of coco expert, and rarely grow plants in it. And I'm thinking that an expert is what you need. Assuming you are certain that what you have is coco mixed with that perlite, it might be beneficial to use that "Report" (post) link at the bottom of post #1 to ask the staff to move this thread to our "Coco" section, where it'll get seen by the people who should know a lot about the stuff.

Back
Top Bottom