My second batch of oil is way stronger

faceless42001

Can someone help me understand why my second batch of oil is so different to my first?

The only thing I did different was to mix it with olive oil and it is ten times stronger then the first lot and the high is different, its more of the sativa head high then the sleep body buzz of the first batch and I used the exact same weed.

Any ideas? Since this is for my mums cancer she is not liking this new batch at all but was very pleased with the last one which made her sleepy. She was onto eating an amount the size of a grain of rice of the last stuff, now the amount has had to be reduced to half a drop of c-oil/o-oil mix. That's quite a reduction.

Like I said everything is identical, except this time I mixed olive in there in a 1:1 ratio.

Any help advice greatly appreciated.
Thanks

The only thing I did different was to mix it with olive oil and it is ten times stronger then the first lot and the high is different, its more of the sativa head high then the sleep body buzz of the first batch and I used the exact same weed.

If you decarboxylate for too long I believe after THCa becomes THC it then starts breaking down into CBN which is still psychoactive as well as more sedative. If you do not decarboxylate long enough then only a portion of THCa will have been activated. One or both of these conditions may explain why one batch was more sedative than the other using the same product to begin with.

and now for the question you did not ask but you may find helpful....

If you pay close attention, Rick Simpson recommends a heavily sedative indica. He says when you feel sedated to just go with it and go to sleep as sleep is part of the healing process. This is all true but I wondered if there was more to it than that and I believe I found my answer.

CB1 receptor activation is connected to the central nervous system. CB2 receptor is connected to the immune system. THC connects to both CB1 and CB2 receptors but indica favor the CB2 receptor while sativa favors the CB1 receptor. For this reason while sativa's may work I would think you may need a higher dose of sativa than you would for indica. Of course more research is necessary but I would stick with what has worked for others if you can. If you can't, any THC is better than no THC.

Good luck.

What strain was used to make the oil? I made an extracted edible oil from Harlequin, which I thought would be great with its high CBD content, but the oil made me paranoid and had a speedy sativa effect that kept me awake. So if you start with a heavy Indica, like GDP or Northern Lights and make it well, you should have a nice medical oil. I'll post up pictures of a recent batch of oil that I decarb'ed in the oven. I add a little coconut oil before putting into the oven in order to be able to see the decarbing taking place, as the oil gets pretty thick and doesn't show the bubbling well without the coconut. I find that the oven set to 248f takes about 45 minutes to decarboxylate.
This is a few grams of Everclear extracted oil with a glob of coconut oil and sprinkle of soy lecithin to keep the oils from separating.
decarb1.jpg

After a few minutes in the 248f oven.
decarb2.jpg

This shows the bubbles from remaining alcohol and water boiling away.
decarb3.jpg

When the small bubbles appear, decarb is happening. When these bubbles nearly stop, remove from heat. I measure everything along the way so I can determine the amount of cannabis oil in each dose. I'll see if there is a way to upload the guide that I use.
decarb4.jpg

More THC will help with sleep, reduced THC will not make you sleepy but will be less psychoactive.

Exactly 250*F is the right temperature but basing your decarb on just bubble size and type is wrong. Decarbing releases CO2 and therefore makes bubbles.

27 minutes @ 250 for high THC
51 minutes @250 for CBN/CBD

There's way too many people just doing things differently each time.

More THC will help with sleep, reduced THC will not make you sleepy but will be less psychoactive.

Exactly 250*F is the right temperature but basing your decarb on just bubble size and type is wrong. Decarbing releases CO2 and therefore makes bubbles.

I agree Lab Rat. So the challenge is how to get us on the same page?

I'd always assumed that the high THC would keep me awake. Of course in my case that may be too much Sativa-dominant THC.

Do you have any insights as to why his oil was so much more psychoactive this time round? I have a hard time believing it was the addition of the olive oil.

You sound pretty sure about the bubble thing Lab Rat. This is the method that I have been using for the last few years, following the guidance from a well known chemist at SkunkPharm, regarding the observation of decarboxylation. I am not clear what aspect of this you are suggesting to improve upon exactly, as it seems pretty straightforward. Rather than following a time/temp chart, using observation allows more precise control of the decarb. If you want to make something for smoking you don't need to decarb at all, so I am curious why bother with winterizing for an edible application. As far as the medical application of the edible oil, like the making of it, there sure are a lot of opinions on the best ways.
Dex.png

You sound pretty sure about the bubble thing Lab Rat. This is the method that I have been using for the last few years, following the guidance from a well known chemist at SkunkPharm, regarding the observation of decarboxylation. I am not clear what aspect of this you are suggesting to improve upon exactly, as it seems pretty straightforward. Rather than following a time/temp chart, using observation allows more precise control of the decarb. If you want to make j for smoking you don't need to decarb at all, so I am curious why bother with winterizing for an edible application. As far as the medical application of the edible oil, like the making of it, there sure are a lot of opinions on the best ways.

Interestingly though circuit, I discovered quite by accident that decarbing my buds in the oven set at 225 F for 30 minutes made the smoking more potent. Then one day I forgot to set the alarm and left it in there for almost 90 minutes and when I smoked that batch it was almost twice the potency of the normally decarbed buds. To this day I still decarb before smoking, although lately I'm concerned about what that practice might be doing to the terpenes.

I played with this without any scientific controls, so I can't explain why this should be so, but I know it's not just me because B A R was so intrigued by my findings that he tried it himself and had the same effect. I've not had enough extra inventory on hand to try it in quite a while, but it certainly has me wondering. It also taught me the valuable lesson that we don't know as much as we think we know about cannabis. Yes, there are many ways to skin this cat.

If the observation method is not accurate, I would love to understand why, it seems very simple. During decarb, the releasing of CO2 when heat is applied causes bubbles, so when the bubbles cease to be formed it is time to stop applying heat, because it is done. I have seen the times vary between strains, as short as 40 minutes and as long as 80 minutes, which is why I use this method. The explanation from GW at SkunkPharm on this topic really makes it understandable. Using the 248f temp boils off any water and Everclear, also helps to kill off any pathogens, something that doesn't get mentioned nearly enough. There are a several charts around that show time/temp testing results, but they don't usually show up with the supporting documents that explain how test was done. Cheap testing will make this a lot easier to dial in. Anyone developed a decent at-home solution for testing cannabis? Sounds like the increase in potency was a fun experience, I know that strain testing is one of my most enjoyable activities.
RSO_15.jpg
decarb.gif

Back
Top Bottom