My Small Time 100% Organic Multi Strain Tent

ProperGreen

Strains(Genetics)

100% Organic Soil Mix(Water ONLY)

Base:(2.75 cu ft. of soil)

Soil Conditioners

Nutritional/Mineral Amendments/Soil Conditioners:

Lighting - 693w Total(Flowering Max)

• x3 125w Hydrofarm CFL light fixtures (2700k & 5500k bulbs)
  • x1 150w Welthink WEX-P150 LED light fixture (full spectrum of 40% 630nm, 40% 660nm, 20% 460nm)
  • x4 42w CFL clamp light fixtures(for once I start flowering but not during veg)
Tent:
Agromax Original Grow Tent

All of the above links are working as to all the different products I'm using, and I will be posting pics tomorrow!

As for some details:

I started two sets of seeds, 1 week apart.
The 1st batch of seeds I started germinating on the 7th of this month, while the 2nd batch of seeds I started germinating on 14th.
Both batches of seeds were also potted after 72hours(3 days) of germinating.
The First batch had broken ground 72hours(3 days) later, and the second batch is looking to follow that same trend!

The first batch of seeds germinated were those above with clickable links, while the 2nd batch are those above without clickable links.
As for my soil mix, I initially mixed it up on January 10, 2014, and potted the 1st seeds up on February 10, 2014, giving it a good month to "cook", or cycle the amendments added before use. This is a water only from start to finish mix, tho I will administer up to 3-4 compost teas throughout the growth cycle, as well as a few all purpose topdressings!

I was gonna skip documenting this run just to take a break and due to being paranoid in regards to big brother, but I've decided not to after all.
I love being able to look back on everything after it's all said an done!

So with that said,
:welcome: any and all to my new winter/spring 2014 journal!
Thanks to
:420:for providing this platform

1st Update. H2O & An EWC Topdress For The 1st Batch & The 2nd Batch Breaking Ground.

Not much to speak of or to look at this point, but it's time for an update nevertheless.

Today marks Day 8 from seed for the larger seedlings and Day 1 from seed for the smaller seedlings.
I starting counting the days once the seedlings break ground and I consider them seedlings for the first 14 days, so day 15 from seed will be the 1st day of veg in my eyes.

As for the larger seedlings(which are identified via the links in the opening post of this thread), they've been above ground now for 8 days and were watered thoroughly today for the 1st time.
They were also top dressed with between 1/4cup and 1/2cup of earthworm castings depending on much I could fit without burying the cotyledons.

For their 1st 7 days above ground, I only misted the top soil when it looked dry, which was usually 4-5 hours after lights on, and again before just before lights out.
With that said, the 2nd group of seedlings that have broken ground today are only getting misted twice daily for the rest of this week, and will be top dressed and watered thoroughly after this week has passed.
I pot all of my germinated seeds up into moist, but not wet soil, so that I can go without watering for the first week.
Also should add that I germinate the seeds using the wet paper towel method, as I've yet to have any seeds fail using this method.

I don't plan on keeping all of the seedlings from the 2nd batch as well. I figure I'll keep 4 of the 5 maybe.
And the smallest seedling from the 1st batch was knocked over a few days after I potted it, so I had to dig it out and repot it, hence it being so small! Ironically it's the one that I'd like to do well more than any of the others since both of the it's parents, Ace Of Spades & GDP(female) were really nice! Hoping for the best!

*Photos are labeled individually just above each.

:peace:

*Lights Being Used For The Seedling And Vegetative Phase
Lights_Used_During_The_Seedling_Vegetative_Phase.JPG

*The 1st Batch Of Seedlings @ Day8 From Seed. These Are The Ones With Links In The OP
1st_Group_Of_Germinated_Seedlings_Day_8_From_Seed.JPG

*The 2nd Batch Of Seedlings @ Day1 From Seed. These Are 2 Pair That I Created Myself & 1 Unknown.
2nd_Group_Of_Germinated_Seedlings_Day_1_From_Seed.JPG

Thanks PeeJay & organicpot! Also, A Few Things I Forgot To Mention In The OP

Nice soil. I enjoyed the links posted in the other thread, too. I'll be following along.
Ill be watching!

Cheers, welcome, and thanks gentlemen! Feel free to post as you will.
Like I said in the OP, there's not a lot going on at this moment, just couple handfuls of seedlings getting their bearings about right now, but things will be picking up in no time! I will be flipping to flower 21 days from today!

Bless

Ps, thought I should also take this time to note a few things that I didn't note in the opening post:

1. My photoperiod is set to 14/10 this run for a couple reasons.I'd like to see how well the plants grow with this photoperiod as I've yet to go thru veg this way.
    I've done 24/0, 20/4, and 18/6 a few times, so now I'm off to a new experimental photoperiod which is 14/10. I'd like to see if the transition into flower happens smoother/faster when doing it this way!
  2. I'm using an ExHale CO2 bag help supplement my garden(tent) with some extra CO2.
    Upon completion of this run this will be my 6th harvest to date, and I've used an ExHale CO2 bag every time. I can't say for sure how good they are or how much they raise the PPM in the tent because I've never monitored it and I've never grown without them, but I feel comfortable knowing that I'm giving the plants a little additional CO2, even if it's just that(a little).
    When I'm settled down into one place and not moving places annually(which will be my next move), I'll definitely opt for tanks so that I can monitor and control the CO2.

Funny enough, when I purchased my first bag of ExHale CO2 about 2 years ago, the website said word for word that, "one ExHale CO2 bag is enough for a 4x4 area", which I've always used.
Now the website says that "more specifically 1 ExHale Cultivator will provide 4-6 plants with the CO2 they need".
In reading this change of info on their website, I'm 100% sure this will be the last time that I buy one of these bags.

They're also making a newer, larger bag for $20 more dollars(just saw it on the shelves today).
It's pretty disappointing because I feel like I've been had by these guys for about $200 over the years, and I don't like wasting money...Who does?
The placebo effect may even be what I'm getting right now, but I feel better having something in there for CO2 at least.
Can't wait to settle down and get a tank to be done with these things for good.

:peace: & blessings

*The ExHale CO2 link is active, so click on the ExHale CO2 for a more in-depth product description.
Starting to sound like these guy might be snake oil.
Time to email the company right now and ask why the change from saying one exhale is enough for a 4x4 garden area, to one exhale is enough for 4-6 plants. I will share the email as well as the response I'm sent.
Hopefully it's a worthy response!

Re: My Small Time 100% Organic Multi Strain Tent.

Ahoya Brother

Looking real good as always hey. I'm am definately in for this one and will be standing ready with my notepad to learn as much as possible. I haven't gotten my tent yet but I did get a pretty sweet cab. 1.9m H x 92 W x 46 D. As well as a Magnetic Ballast, 2 x 250w HPS, 1 x MH bulb and a 85w CFL.

Best of luck with your grow brother

Love and Light

Welcome & Thanks Teldren And Smelly Joe! See Yas Around!

Looking good I'm in!

Nice brother! Just a bunch of hurry up and wait! Feel free to post as you will anytime!
Looking forward to some plants as nice as yours here in the near future!

:peace: & Blessings

Ahoya Brother

Looking real good as always hey. I'm am definitely in for this one and will be standing ready with my notepad to learn as much as possible. I haven't gotten my tent yet but I did get a pretty sweet cab. 1.9m H x 92 W x 46 D. As well as a Magnetic Ballast, 2 x 250w HPS, 1 x MH bulb and a 85w CFL.

Best of luck with your grow brother

Love and Light

Nice my brother! And as always, my house is yours!
I'm still on hiatus at SHF and not going back to Jorges as that server glitch sketched me out, so I'll be here for AT LEAST the duration of this run brother!
I thought I'd take a break from the forums lol, but who am I kidding here?!
I'm banking on all these threads to come in handy for me one day in the real world!

But it's also nice to see you bringing things indoor for a change! How are the outdoor ladies doing?!
Hopefully it'll be a little less frustrating coming inside since you can control your environment unlike mother nature lol!
And hey, if you don't want to make and maintain a 3rd or 4th thread, post here as you will brother.

:peace: & Blessings.

Ps, When I saw Love And Light I know exactly who it was lol. Names a little different but in the same neighborhood lol! Good one!

Re: Welcome & Thanks Teldren And Smelly Joe! See Yas Around!

Ahoya

LoL, yeah man. Name is differant cause I use the same name on all other forums and after the Jorge incident I decide to "Pack Away" the other voice and introduce the new one that managed to wrestle SP to the ground. :bravo:

Yeah, 1 can never stay away from forums its just to much fun. SH, i still post on cause i cant just leave my threads hanging. the forum has gotten this eerie ghost town feel to it but the usual people still post, but the ones that normally pops in hust isnt there anymore.

indoor will always have a special place in my heart. i wish i could start up the MH or HPS but cost wise i just cant afford it so im rolling with the 85w for now. when flowering comes i'll end up flowering only 1 or if things change and budget allows i'll flower with the HPS.

thanx for offering your thread for me to post in. i will take you up on that offer bro

untill next time man

Love and Light

:thumb:

Hey ProperGreen, been seeing your posts around the forums regarding organic growing. I am also learning and would like to sub up and watch your grows proceed! Green vibes your way :joint:
CA215

Welcome CA215! Thanks For The Positive Vibes And Feel Free to Post As You Will!

Hey ProperGreen, been seeing your posts around the forums regarding organic growing. I am also learning and would like to sub up and watch your grows proceed! Green vibes your way :joint:
CA215

Hey brother!

Thanks for the positive vibes that you've sent my way already!
I'm new here of course and just getting started, but I'm enjoying the place quite a bit I have to say!
Feel free to post whatever you want, whenever you want brother! My thread is your thread also!

A bit of advice in terms or learning about organics, start with the soil and what makes a good one!
Anything I can help with I will brother, so just ask! And if I don't know, we'll find a way to find out, or find someone who does!

Ahoya

CA215, I have to agree with PG. Soil is really important and I made my fair share of mistakes. My current grow has suffered quite a bit because I did not tend to my soil the way I shouldve. I have never given soil much thought and my idea of a GREAT soil mix was compost, perlite and coco coir. And I thought that alone would be good enough. Needless to say I have never gotten those :yahoo: buds and only after i started studying soil, only then did i notice that i was a complete idiot.

Park along side me in the class bro, cause i have nice cookies. and some nice j's . LoL

Love and Light

Just Started My First Compost Tea! A 36hr Brew It Will Be!

So!

I just started brewing my first compost tea of this growing season!
I am brewing up a 3 gallon batch and the recipe is as follows:
  • 1cup Ancient Forest Humus
  • 2.3tbsp(2 healthy tablespoons) Earthworm Castings
  • 3.8tbsp(A little less than 4 tablespoons) UnSulphured Blackstrap Molasses
I will allow this tea to brew for exactly 36hrs before applying it, and I will apply it as both a soil drench and a foliar.
If you haven't yet heard of Microbe Organics, be sure to check it out if your looking into brewing compost teas and/or furthering your knowledge a bit as an organic farmer.
This website holds the answers as to why my recipe is what it is!

Also tomorrow I plan on transplanting the first batch of 6 seedlings that I germinated to 2 gallon grow bags!
They will finish in these 2 gallon bags as well, and be flipped to flower in 19days!
I need to top them one time and get a couple of foliar feedings in before the flip!

These are the ones that will be transplanted tomorrow @ Day13 From Seed:

As for the others, they will be transplanted in another week of course, as they are a week behind.

:peace:

5_Gallon_Bucket_For_Brewing_Compost_Teas.JPG
Compost_Tea_Pump_Airstones.JPG
DSCN39192.JPG

Re: Just Started My First Compost Tea! A 36hr Brew It Will Be!

Awesome stuff. Have just shifted to organic growing, so I'll be watching closely to soak up some knowledge.

Welcome Johny Velvet! You Won't Regret Making The Switch! And Cheers Teldren!

Awesome stuff. Have just shifted to organic growing, so I'll be watching closely to soak up some knowledge.

Thanks brother! And nice that you're making the switch to organics! In terms of the aromas and flavors of the finished product, you can't beat it! But my telling you this just doesn't do the fact justice! You'll soon see for yourself I'm sure! But :welcome: brother!
Any questions that you might have, don't hesitate to ask! Likewise with any suggestions you may have, don't hesitate to shoot!

Nice. First of many.

& thanks brother! Nice is what your garden is! More like exceptional from my angle!
:bravo: and cheers for the positive vibes that you've sent my way already!

Hey Proper, just wanted to stop by and give you kudos on a sweet thread, you have it set up perfect! I am currently stuck on the microbe organics link you posted, wow there is some info in here that is making me super excited to get some more beans sprouted... I need my morning back.. :laugh: will also be putting a couple seedsman ww into germ here soon for my OD session, so it will be good to see how they do for ya.

I had a couple questions for you but I think that microbe organics link answered them.. Reps for that link I am saving it to my desktop!
Just to clarify, you are leaving the dry ingredients in "free suspension" i.e out of a sock/paint strainer/mesh bag as for this, "Generally one gets a higher density of microorganisms if you just dump all your ingredients into the aerated, agitated water". Have you experimented with the dry ingredients in a bag vs directly in the mix?

& do you strain the tea prior soil drench? (of course you do for foliar feeds :))

Thanks for any insight PG!! :high-five:

Thanks For The Love Brother! And Good Question! Your Answer Is...

Hey Proper, just wanted to stop by and give you kudos on a sweet thread, you have it set up perfect! I am currently stuck on the microbe organics link you posted, wow there is some info in here that is making me super excited to get some more beans sprouted... I need my morning back.. :laugh: will also be putting a couple seedsman ww into germ here soon for my OD session, so it will be good to see how they do for ya.

I had a couple questions for you but I think that microbe organics link answered them.. Reps for that link I am saving it to my desktop!
Just to clarify, you are leaving the dry ingredients in "free suspension" i.e out of a sock/paint strainer/mesh bag as for this, "Generally one gets a higher density of microorganisms if you just dump all your ingredients into the aerated, agitated water". Have you experimented with the dry ingredients in a bag vs directly in the mix?

& do you strain the tea prior soil drench? (of course you do for foliar feeds :))

Thanks for any insight PG!! :high-five:

Good morning brother & thanks for the love!

To answer your question, I've always only just dumped the ingredients into my 5 gallon bucket and I let them be freely! I also start oxygenating the water about 30 minutes before I start the brew!

I never strain my teas as well brother, I just top dress my plants with all the left over gunk!
Nor do I strain for foliar spraying! Instead, I rinse the leaves off with plain water once the foliar has dried up and that seems to do the job. I look specifically for bits and pieces of organic matter on the leaf surface.
In my experience, if you don't strain the teas for foliar application, you def. don't wanna skip the rinsing of the leaves afterwards, or you'll get some spotting here and there! Nothing problematic, just a headache for the perfectionist lol.
I also stop using foliar sprays after the 1st or 2nd week of flowering.
Better yet, once I start to notice more than just a handful of pistils, I'm done spraying the plants!
So I get all the foliar spraying in during veg for the most part!

But I've also read and learned that any "panty hose" or "stocking sock" is likely not to be large enough in micron size for all the microbes to flow thru and be extracted to reproduce freely in the teas, so I've scrapped the idea of using anything suspended in the water to hold my ingredients.

The minimum micron size that I've seen recommended is 400 microns, and this unlike most things you'll read about compost tea brewing is unanimous across the board. The more you read about brewing teas, the more you'll see that the information varies just a little bit from person to person, so with that said I just try to find a silver lining in it all lol. One thing that all these various researchers and authors agree on is that a lot more experimentation is needed because the number of microbes in the world is just ridiculous!

But nice questions brother! As you get better, so will I! And visa versa!

Ps, I use Microbe Organics because it seems to be the most recent bit of info on compost teas, and comes with some science and evidence to boot, while not trying to shove some several hundred dollar compost tea brewer down your throat in the process of educating you.
A guy that I learned a lot from on another forum has some personal ties to that website as well, and listening to/learning from him over the years has made it that much more credible of a source for me ya know?!

Back
Top Bottom