My very 1st Grow- Northern Lights

IMG_20120225_125327.jpg
IMG_20120225_125311.jpg
IMG_20120225_125301.jpg
IMG_20120225_125251.jpg

I'm stumped, too, Princess.

Maybe she was too severely weakened to survive. Unless you're in a rush, it couldn't hurt to wait a day or two to see what happens.

Did you use the diluted hydrogen peroxide? She may had suffered too much damage before she was treated to recover. If you want to try one more last ditch attempt before you give up, you might try repotting her.

If you want to try it, do the following:

1. Remove the plant from the pot.
2. Shake off any excess dirt.
3. Look at the roots. If there is any dead matter, cut it off.
4. Repot in very loose soil!
5. Add a small amount of 1/2 strength BPN nutrient solution and a bit of H2O2 (concentrations as mentioned above). Add a drop or two of orange juice (for pH balance and a bit of sugar).

If you're feeling adventurous, make up the nutrient solution described above and, after you've taken the plant out of the pot and shaken off the dirt, put it directly into the nutrient solution. Use something to keep the leaves above the solution but let the roots rest in the solution.

Essentially, you'd be making a mini-hydroponics setup. In hydroponics the roots are directly in the nutrient solution. Hydroponics growers use bubblers to raise the oxygen levels for the roots.

I would actually try the hydroponics idea I just mentioned.

1) You could make sure that only the nutrients and H2O2 is going to the roots;
2) It would allow you to see what's going on beneath the soil and clean up the roots;

This could be a good learning experience. I don't think you have anything to lose at this stage.

P. S. Roots are fairly tough - you don't have to be squeamish about handling them and shaking off excess dirt. I did this on the plants I transplanted from awful soil to coco. The clone I posted above was one of them.

Keep the plant 12" from the light (24/7) and continue misting.

I feel so bad for this plant. I can't imagine how you feel.

It's a major let down. i was in LOVE with this plant and i failed it. I dont really have anything new to put her in so i think ill just play the waiting game. Ill keep spritsing and waiting and hope for the best. However, Im pre-ordering for my new grow:
Lights
Pots
Thinking about trying those jiffy pellet things when i start cloning. Now that im prepared for my newest grow i dont think i can really "Fail" again. She died from being food and possibly light deprived but ill make sure this time around theres PLENTY around for my new addition. Im getting: a second lamp, bulb, y socket splitter, have grow and bloom nutes, getting small starter pot, 1 gallon and just in case a 2 gallon pot as well. Gonna try out jiffy pots and jiffy peat pellets for my clones when i get there and some cloning gel.

OK Princess,

By the way, I can't remember the soil that you're using. Can you tell me again what it is?

Remember to use the H2O2 as directed. You can either put the pot in a pan of the solution or just water the pot with it. Don't worry if it runs out the bottom. The more oxygen you can get to the roots, the better off they'll be. If the roots don't get oxygen, they can't transport nutrients to the leaves.

I seen earlier that you don't have a "big setup" but if you have the money and space you can get a complete setup from Greners.com for like 650.00. I would spend more to get a nice can fan and mh bulb if you could. I got a great deal with some extras and it was well worth it.

Sorry I don't have anyother input, I'm too new to offer any valid points.

PrincessPot said:
Its fine Blazin. Nice of you to stop by. Im not really looking for a full setup though. Not until summer or fall. I just bought everything im going to need for my new journal. if this one isnt pulling through by friday then you should be on the lookout for my next journal next weekend.

Will do, can't wait to see it. Plus grant Is a wealth of knowledge and he pokes around in your journal. He's good for the both of us.

Hey ggrant? This can't be normal right? She's Turning green from the outside-in? A lot of leaves are doing that.

WOW, I've never seen that. That's simply amazing.

All I would do now is keep her about 1 foot from the light - you don't want to overtax her. Stay with 24/7 light - no dark periods. Keep misting so the leaves don't dry out. I assume you're using a 1/4 strength solution of nutrients as the spray?

Don't worry about overspraying. I spray my plants about 6 times a day. They probably don't need it, but they don't seem to mind.

If you can control the humidity, make sure it's not too low. Keep the temperature moderate, about room temperature. The idea is to keep her metabolism at a moderate pace.

And use the hydrogen peroxide!

You can't "overwater" if you're using hydrogen peroxide. The only reason overwatering is bad is because it deprives the roots of oxygen. As you're adding oxygen by using the dilute hydrogen peroxide solution, you can't possibly overdo it. Remember, in hydroponics the roots are in water 24/7.

I can't believe how many times I've said 24/7. I hate business and military slang, but I can't think of a better way to say it without being verbose. Nonstop? Forever and ever? Always and forever. Until the great hourglass of time runs out?

Anyway, if the leaves are recovering, you want the roots to do the same.

I would just water a little bit every few hours with the hydrogen peroxide. Put in enough so that the pot starts to leak.

Then she'll have everything she needs: oxygen for the roots, nutrients for the leaves and lots of light, but not too much, to start photosynthesis to produce the amino acids and proteins she needs to rebuild her cell structure and start producing new leaf sets.

Keep the pictures coming! Verbal descriptions are good, too!

What you want to happen is for the plant to generate enough energy to put out a new leaf set. When this happens, you'll see either white or pale green growth at the very top of the plant. If this happens, she'll have a great chance to survive.

The other leaves won't recover very much but hopefully they can furnish enough energy for the plant to put out a new leaf set. When that happens, the other leaves will be ignored. All the plant's energy will be transferred to growing the new leaf set. This set and new ones that will follow will be the plants main focus. The older leaves will die as they are no longer necessary.

Plants are amazing things.

I've got my fingers crossed for this one!

Back
Top Bottom