Zimbo 63

Hi all, I'm new to this forum and I've introduced myself, so now I'll go on to talk about my setup which cost about $50 to build...

My "tent" is a wooden structure (w) 80 cm x (l) 1m x (h) 1.5 m - the dimensions were chosen so that it will fit through a std. door.

I closed it with materials that were ready to hand, two sides are closed with Green baize/felt - and the third and fourth with a sheet of plastic, one of which is removable and acts as a door.

The top was closed with old flooring laminate tongue in groove and I sealed everything with acrylic.

I have a 7" extractor fan mounted in a hole that I cut at the top in the laminate flooring.

Air gets into the tent via two "slots" at floor level on opposite sides of the tent, so airflow is always upwards - the slots are closed with flyscreen netting to prevent insects from doing their thing. I do spray with pyrethrins if necessary and I mostly water cure, so it washes off before it hits human hands.

I am investigating the possibility of adding a couple of "jumping spiders" to control any pests that may manage to get in - I will post a separate thread about this.

I also wonder, if growing pyrethrin daisies inside a grow tent has any effect on infestations - does anyone know?

For lighting, I have used 4 x 100W 6500K LED slimline floodlamps which run (18/6) pretty cool and work very well for what they cost. I'm growing autos at the moment.

Although my hands are pretty resistant to heat (I have worked in a foundry and also as a chef) I can touch these lamps for a short while - even after they have been running for hours.

For my next grow (photoperiod) I'm going to add another 100W of 2700K lamps which I will combine with 2 x 100W 6500K when I flip to veg.

I also would like to try staggering my lamps and timing to try and mimic the sun travelling in the sky overhead, will post a separate thread about this as well.

Any comments welcome (obviously)

You have given much thought on your budget grow room, good luck with that.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Worst case scenario is "back to the drawing board".

I also would like to try staggering my lamps and timing to try and mimic the sun travelling in the sky overhead, will post a separate thread about this as well.
Looking forward to hearing how "mimicking the sun" is working out for your.

Hi all, I'm new to this forum and I've introduced myself, so now I'll go on to talk about my setup which cost about $50 to build...

My "tent" is a wooden structure (w) 80 cm x (l) 1m x (h) 1.5 m - the dimensions were chosen so that it will fit through a std. door.

I closed it with materials that were ready to hand, two sides are closed with Green baize/felt - and the third and fourth with a sheet of plastic, one of which is removable and acts as a door.

The top was closed with old flooring laminate tongue in groove and I sealed everything with acrylic.

I have a 7" extractor fan mounted in a hole that I cut at the top in the laminate flooring.

Air gets into the tent via two "slots" at floor level on opposite sides of the tent, so airflow is always upwards - the slots are closed with flyscreen netting to prevent insects from doing their thing. I do spray with pyrethrins if necessary and I mostly water cure, so it washes off before it hits human hands.

I am investigating the possibility of adding a couple of "jumping spiders" to control any pests that may manage to get in - I will post a separate thread about this.

I also wonder, if growing pyrethrin daisies inside a grow tent has any effect on infestations - does anyone know?

For lighting, I have used 4 x 100W 6500K LED slimline floodlamps which run (18/6) pretty cool and work very well for what they cost. I'm growing autos at the moment.

Although my hands are pretty resistant to heat (I have worked in a foundry and also as a chef) I can touch these lamps for a short while - even after they have been running for hours.

For my next grow (photoperiod) I'm going to add another 100W of 2700K lamps which I will combine with 2 x 100W 6500K when I flip to veg.

Welcome to 420. Check out @Carcass thread/journal. He grows amazing plants on a budget. Think he spent 152.47$. Haha.

NTH

Sounds like a fun project. In my experience, adding other plants to a small grow room or tent can increase the likelihood of introduced pests and humidity. I've jumped around the country and have grown in both humid and arid climates. In my experience too much humidity can lead to powdery mildew. I cannot explain how much I hate powdery mildew. If you live in a drier area it may not be a problem. I look forward to seeing your journals.

Thanks, I was thinking of doing one for my next grow, a Malawi which I intend to mainline because of the height restrictions in my box.

Not encountered mildew myself, but there was a time where a connection brought me stuff from an evidence locker - it was always mouldy, disgusting - but it got smoked if the people were desperate ;-)

Not really relevant perhaps, but a fun anecdote which your comment brought to mind, thanks.

Girls-1.jpg

These are my girls, there are three strains here, top left - Auto lemon CBD, center left - narcatherapy, front right - tangiematic, the other three are honey peach from Herbies.

Like this, I think it's a bit overcrowded, probably do better with a ScroG will try if I manage to get them all to germinate at the same time....

Just to give an idea of size, the narcatherapy and the Lemon are almost the same height at 52 Cm...

The narcatherapy and the tangiematic germinated first and both were stretched without adequate light for two days.

Both are 5 weeks old and the Tangie is a week into flower, the narca is delayed for some reason..I FiMed the tangie a couple of days before she sprouted pistils, could that have caused her to flip?

The honey peach at center right was the first to flower after 3 weeks of veg, she is three days younger than the narco and tangie, so she's about two weeks into flower, she is shorter than the tangie so it's hard to see her, but she does peep over the top!

You can see her, basking in the artificial sun, her top fan leaves spread out like the Arecibo dish to make the most of it. - healthy plant...

The honey peach at back right, is a week younger and in her first week of flower, I topped and lollipopped her as an experiment, even though I believe that common wisdom says "don't top an auto." I'ma a stickler for breaking the "rules."

It doesn't seem like she has caught up, but only the harvest will really tell,,,

The one in the front is two weeks old and I'm trying LST for the first time.

The pots are about 4/5 full of normal potting soil and about 10 liters each.

Food is bio zyme and PK 13-14 by Bio-Nova

I will do an individual photoshoot the next time I open up...

You have given much thought on your budget grow room, good luck with that.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Worst case scenario is "back to the drawing board".

Looking forward to hearing how "mimicking the sun" is working out for your.
I don't think I'll be doing that on my next grow, maybe the one after that, I'll need to have a yardstick by which to measure the results.

I've posted a picture of my grow.

Back
Top Bottom