Mystery--Solved

RangerDanger

A few years back I had a few dozen plants growing on abadoned land.
Tending the plants I started noticed something odd.
There were bowl-sized and shaped depressions in the ground underneath a few of the plants, next to the stem.
There wouldn't be any for a week or 2, then there would be 4 or 5 more.
The depressions were about 6" across and 2--3 inches deep, with sloping sides. They didn't affect the health of the plants, so I wasn't concerned. But I did wonder what the fuck was up with those depressions.
Then 1 day I took a friend with me. I pointed out those depressions and he knew right away what was causing them.
He knelt down and used his fingertips to probe the disturbed area.
And found something that explained how those depressions got there.
Can you guess?

to be continued

Im goin with the knee print, that's pretty cool that guy new instantly what it was. People who can track things are cool. I was in boy scouts for like 2 years as a little kid, but I really really should have stayed in the program, that knowledge is priceless. Trackers are also usually pretty good at not being tracked hehe.

What my friend found and held up for me to see was--
a small quail feather.
It took me about 2 seconds to figure it out once I saw the feather.
There were covey's of quail in the area. And quails like to take "dust baths". They sit down real low and then flap their wings, which causes the dirt beneath them to fly up in the air and land on them near their skin, to cut down on fleas and other parasites.
Some quail found it easier to raise dust in the amended soil than the hard-packed existing soil in the area. And that caused the bowl-shaped depression.
The reason they'd only appear every 10 days or so is that quail have a territory they "patrol". It takes them about 10 days to make a circut.

These were California Quail, as opposed to San Quentin Quail.

Ranger - you seem to always have the most interesting stories and they seem to all be related to either cannabis consumption or cannabis horticulture. I love it man. Love it.

Thats pretty interesting, thanks for the fact.

Ranger - you seem to always have the most interesting stories and they seem to all be related to either cannabis consumption or cannabis horticulture. I love it man. Love it.

It probably stems :)cheesygrinsmiley: ) from the fact that I have been growing weed a most of my life.
The instant I drop a seed this year will be my 41st year of growing weed outdoors.

The very first time I looked at a bag of weed (1967) I saw seeds and my very first thought was "Hey! Now I can grow my own!" The next morning I planted my 1st seeds. To me it was a no-brainer.
There was no way to get grow info on weed cultivation back then and my first few years were disasters. I didn't know you had to wait until Oct. to harvest buds. I would plant seeds in the spring (I knew that much) and start picking leaves in the summer. By the time Sept. rolled around the plants had been picked clean and dead.
I couldn't figure out why the weed I grew didn't resemble the weed I got the seeds from or had the same affect.
Then I met a guy, an old beatnick who had started growing shortly after WW II. He clued me in on a few pointers and as time went by I found out more and more about this magical plant (mainly through trial & error) and when she needed to grow big and beautiful.
And nowadays I spend a lot of time giving people the benefit of my experience, hopefully helping beginners become novices and novices experts.

When I have my own place (which will hopefully be in a couple years) I'm going to start growing. Hopefully you'll still be around the forums.

hell yeah, those cali quails are gangsta. probably out of LA marking their turf.
you can see some of the craziest and coolest things in nature and ponder for a long while trying to figure it all out.
RD thats awesome man, growing 41 years. youve been growing 4 times longer than ive been alive, shibby:laughtwo: i thought the same thing about the seeds. the first bags are always a bit garbage, but figured hey its a plant ive got some seeds and i dont want to pay for something i can grow for free. ill be starting my fourth grow this summer and everytime i grow some i learn a lot more, how to detect problems but they get serious, when to start feeding, and root material. ill be using you techniques of feeding when they start to bud and give them more nitrogen rich food, last thought since it was budding time they get bud food. musta been a lot higher learning curve back then, but youve probably got some sweet oldskool techniques no one knows about now. where are you growing at now? that and how much you think youve harvest over time?
you are a true growing guru with wisdom, dare i say a growing god? once you get over the hill in growing you shall become one with the herb and be able to grow them out of your head at will. :headbanger:
ps super stoned writing this yeah yeah:bong:

hell yeah, those cali quails are gangsta. probably out of LA marking their turf.
you can see some of the craziest and coolest things in nature and ponder for a long while trying to figure it all out.
RD thats awesome man, growing 41 years. youve been growing 4 times longer than ive been alive, shibby:laughtwo: i thought the same thing about the seeds. the first bags are always a bit garbage, but figured hey its a plant ive got some seeds and i dont want to pay for something i can grow for free. ill be starting my fourth grow this summer and everytime i grow some i learn a lot more, how to detect problems but they get serious, when to start feeding, and root material. ill be using you techniques of feeding when they start to bud and give them more nitrogen rich food, last thought since it was budding time they get bud food. musta been a lot higher learning curve back then, but youve probably got some sweet oldskool techniques no one knows about now. where are you growing at now? that and how much you think youve harvest over time?
you are a true growing guru with wisdom, dare i say a growing god? once you get over the hill in growing you shall become one with the herb and be able to grow them out of your head at will. :headbanger:
ps super stoned writing this yeah yeah:bong:

How much have I grown in my lifetime?
No well to tell or even guess. A few years I ended up with nothing (usually ripped off but one time because of a drought). So I started growing smaller but more gardens, usualy 3 gardens and maybe 12 plants each garden.
The biggest garden I've ever had of my very own was 50 plants. I harvested about 25 lbs. that year. It would have been more--lots more--but that summer we had temps over 100F for 2 weeks followed by smoke from a forest fire many miles away for 2 weeks.
Back in c. 1980 I was a caretaker at a rather large (200 + plants) outdoor grow here in The Triangle, but I quit after 1 year. I "wasn't allowed" to go into town (cause I was the only caretaker). I had everything like food brought to me but that was in the days with no sat. tv, no VCR's, no internet. There were no neighbors so the only people I saw for 6 months were the 3 people who I worked for who came out once or twice a week. I sat in a trailer mostly by myself (when I wasn't tending the garden), played guitar and read a lot.
That year I grew & help manicure close to 200 lbs, but I only got a fraction of that (approx. 5 lbs. and a few thousand $$).

Back
Top Bottom