Mystery Strain?

NunyaBis

Alright, a little information first :

I'm currently growing 2 White Widows and 1 Dark Angel (or at least those are the seed packs I used) in coco in a tent under a 1000W bulb (MH for veg, HPS for flower) using H&G Coco nutrients.

I had little popsicle stick plant marker things but they kept popping loose after every feed so I eventually gave up and just pulled them out, which was apparently a mistake. It's entirely possible I managed to mix up which plant was which (possibly even from seed), but my upcoming question is still valid.

Anyway, here's the mystery strain - I had initially been calling it my "Small White Widow" as I assumed it was the 2nd WW seed, and up until recently it basically looked exactly like my Large White Widow, then at around Week 6 of flower, the colas all turned into these weird Christmas tree shapes. Suffice to say, I don't think it's a White Widow anymore. That made me wonder if maybe THIS was the Dark Angel, but :

It's SUPER resinous, very sticky, it doesn't look as "frosty" as a White Widow, it smells VERY strongly of lemon with a tiny hint of spice if you touch a bud and then smell your fingers, but not so much if you just sniff it on the plant directly, and the buds, despite looking very whispy and loose, are actually very dense.

I'm currently 2 days away from the end of Week 8 of flower, I had to add an extra week to allow more trichome development time to all the plants, so I'm starting a week-long flush Friday.

According to the CKS website, Dark Angel (they seem to be the only ones who market this strain) is a Jack Herer / Cheese cross, and it should smell of coffee and nutmeg, and every single picture I've seen of it shows purple coloring at this point in flower. The pictures I've seen also don't really look like this (in my opinion anyway), here's the "official" CKS picture for example :

Dark-Angel-Fem.jpg

So my question (finally) is : Just what the heck am I growing here?

Mystery_6.jpg

Mystery_5.jpg

Mystery_4.jpg

Mystery_31.jpg

Mystery_22.jpg

Mystery_11.jpg

Any input would be appreciated, heh.

Pretty much impossible to know, but it looks good

Also it can. E a different pheno and not show purple

I have grown 6 Dark Devil, and only 2 have shown the purple pheno

Not sure what it is, but from those pictures, if they are recent she has more than a week to go. Or is it the pictures showing the white hairs color wrong?

Some of the tops look like my "Sour Jack" did from CKS, but who really knows....

Those pics are from last night, so, yeah, recent, heh. Like I said, this plant looked exactly like my "large" White Widow until it just turned into...whatever this is. It was very weird.

So far, all 3 plants have been growing for 84 days (4 weeks in veg), the "change" happened at around day 68 or something.

As for this one needing more than a week to go, I agree, as the hairs ARE all white, the problem is the other 2 are ready, and I was going to be using my tent for drying in order to control the smell. I can't have the drying going on when there's still an active plant in the area, can I? I would assume the humidity and so on would end up being too high and I'd risk mold or something.

I wonder if I could get away with just making a drying box for like 3 days and then jarring them...it's going to stink to high heaven I'm sure. :(

DO NOT CUT THAT PLANT NO MATTER WHAT DAY IT IS!!! Its definately a sativa heavy pheno(looks hazey, especially with ur description of lemon and spice smell) Some haze plants can take up to 18+ weeks to fully mature hence why almost nobody grows them(on purpose) anymore, and the pistols will turn red/orange when finished and retract a bit towards the bud... The way those look u may have 2 to 3 weeks left to FINISH those properly, otherwise u will end up with weaker, grassy tasting buds.. They are looking great and ur yield will probably be absurd if u let all those flowers fill in the rest of the way

Those pics are from last night, so, yeah, recent, heh. Like I said, this plant looked exactly like my "large" White Widow until it just turned into...whatever this is. It was very weird.

So far, all 3 plants have been growing for 84 days (4 weeks in veg), the "change" happened at around day 68 or something.

As for this one needing more than a week to go, I agree, as the hairs ARE all white, the problem is the other 2 are ready, and I was going to be using my tent for drying in order to control the smell. I can't have the drying going on when there's still an active plant in the area, can I? I would assume the humidity and so on would end up being too high and I'd risk mold or something.

I wonder if I could get away with just making a drying box for like 3 days and then jarring them...it's going to stink to high heaven I'm sure. :(

It's not actually "into" the reflector yet, but it's pretty much up there, yeah. The damn thing literally grew like a foot overnight at one point. It's probably a little deceptive in the pic, that parabolic reflector is a good 4.5 feet across. I'd raise it up if I could, but it's already at max height. All 3 plants are basically 5 feet tall, at least, which I wasn't expecting.

Edit : Given a choice, I'd change my setup quite a bit, especially with lighting switching to LED. Maybe when the bulbs burn out.

Anyway, closer inspection (or perhaps it was just time) has revealed some orange hairs on a few of the smaller buds, so I've decided to give this one at least another week of flower, perhaps longer depending on progress, and to just chop and dry the other 2 plants in some drying boxes. Hopefully that doesn't come back to bite me in the ass...

I'd do the fridge method, but I was informed by "the woman", in no uncertain terms, that she doesn't want weed next to the eggs when her parents come over, so that plan's a no-go.

TBH you won't get better results with LED. Your vertical setup penetrates so much better than an LED would in that situation. 1000w HID > cheap-ish LED.

Try just ditching the reflector and see how it is.

Hmm, so just the bulb by itself? That would certainly make it easier to navigate around in the tent, less smacking my head on the damn thing and all, it's frigging sharp.

While its is not ideal growth structure, in my mind bud is bud and that plant is a beast. If you lose the reflector, have good air exchange and circulation it should help some. I would agree with you and others and say ride it out, let her go till shes done. Not sure of your setup but my tent is in a small room. The fan pulls enough of the air into the tent that it filters the whole room not much if any smell escapes. So you my be able to dry outside the tent with no problems. Best of luck and keep us updated i want to see that monster when she done:thumb:

Another idea, if temps are high is to run that vertically in a cool tube sucking the exhaust across the light and out.

Back
Top Bottom