N420 Grows Barney's Farm Orange Sherbert & Special Guests

Hey 420 hope everyone is enjoying their Saturday so far looks like I have some more reno work ahead of me today installing some baseboard heaters and continuing with door casings and maybe some baseboard trim. I should be done this little reno soon so I'm pretty happy about that.

As far as the plants go we are exactly 7 days since the flip. Not a whole lot new to report they have continued to stretch but not to much and looks like I should be fine for headroom if they keep going the way they are.

The plant in the far left corner was not stretching quite as much as the others and was getting a little far away from the light so I added a second pot elevator under her saucer and I brought her up closer the the height of her sisters.
I also added a stake to the same plant as she already has a couple of floppy branches and there is not even a hint of bud on her yet. I think as we get deeper into flower staking these plants will become a full time job lol.

I have been monitoring the temps closely recently I get a high of 77 degrees in the tent but only reaches that just before lights off normally it's around 74. The lights off temp is what I'm most interested in my hydrometer keeps the high and low and it's saying the low is 59 degrees which seems a little too low what do you guys think? I have the hydrometer outside of the tent with a probe inside 2 hours after lights out is says 62 degrees I'm going to monitor it throughout the day and see how low it gets.

Looking nice and healthy. A good crop is sure to come!

I have been monitoring the temps closely recently I get a high of 77 degrees in the tent but only reaches that just before lights off normally it's around 74. The lights off temp is what I'm most interested in my hydrometer keeps the high and low and it's saying the low is 59 degrees which seems a little too low what do you guys think? I have the hydrometer outside of the tent with a probe inside 2 hours after lights out is says 62 degrees I'm going to monitor it throughout the day and see how low it gets.

That temp is a little low at night. Typically a swing of 10*F is desirable when you can control things, but it's not set in stone. Temps outside swing more than that, especially in the fall, and might be 20* between high and low. The bigger issue is that the low temp for growing is around 60*F. IIRC, there are some processes which slow down below that, thus the recommendation to keep your low temp above 60*. Sure they get lower outside, but that is usually right towards then end, and only in colder climates. Since you're inside and can do something about it, you could warm it up overnight into the 62*-65* range and be in good shape.

I picked up a little 200W heater off Mr. Bezos' site the other day to keep my night time temps up a tick. I combined it with a heat mat controller, and it kicks the heater on when the temp gets too low. The 200W is doing well in my 4x4 tent, and will kick on for a few minutes, then off. Rinse repeat. Overall it's probably running 40% of the time. I'm not running a lot of exhaust yet, though. Once I do, I may have to switch to one of my bigger space heaters. Right now I'm just messing with seedlings, so I'm trying to keep the low temp about 70* for both the seedlings and the ones still germinating. The germ stuff also has a heat mat, but it sure works better if the ambient temp is warmer.

Without the heater, the night time temp would be about 65*, which will be fine once they all get a few weeks under their belt.

With your exhaust is going to suck that heat out of the tent pretty quick. You can get a 500W-900W heater for the room, but still use the heat mat controller and just put the sensor tip into the tent. You could go up to 1500W, and the heat mat controller should be able to take it, but I'm not sure of your exact space size, etc.

But the good news is that there are some options if you want/need to get that low temp up a bit.

Looks perfectly even, nice job with that canopy. I shoot for temps no lower than 65F but the question is how accurate is the hygrometer? If your plants aren’t showing any symptoms, I wouldn’t worry too much. Just keep a close eye on things, that’s just my thoughts. Great job N!

Looking nice and healthy. A good crop is sure to come!

That temp is a little low at night. Typically a swing of 10*F is desirable when you can control things, but it's not set in stone. Temps outside swing more than that, especially in the fall, and might be 20* between high and low. The bigger issue is that the low temp for growing is around 60*F. IIRC, there are some processes which slow down below that, thus the recommendation to keep your low temp above 60*. Sure they get lower outside, but that is usually right towards then end, and only in colder climates. Since you're inside and can do something about it, you could warm it up overnight into the 62*-65* range and be in good shape.

I picked up a little 200W heater off Mr. Bezos' site the other day to keep my night time temps up a tick. I combined it with a heat mat controller, and it kicks the heater on when the temp gets too low. The 200W is doing well in my 4x4 tent, and will kick on for a few minutes, then off. Rinse repeat. Overall it's probably running 40% of the time. I'm not running a lot of exhaust yet, though. Once I do, I may have to switch to one of my bigger space heaters. Right now I'm just messing with seedlings, so I'm trying to keep the low temp about 70* for both the seedlings and the ones still germinating. The germ stuff also has a heat mat, but it sure works better if the ambient temp is warmer.

Without the heater, the night time temp would be about 65*, which will be fine once they all get a few weeks under their belt.

With your exhaust is going to suck that heat out of the tent pretty quick. You can get a 500W-900W heater for the room, but still use the heat mat controller and just put the sensor tip into the tent. You could go up to 1500W, and the heat mat controller should be able to take it, but I'm not sure of your exact space size, etc.

But the good news is that there are some options if you want/need to get that low temp up a bit.
Thanks Multi that is a really smart idea using the seedling mat controller. I do have an inkbird temp controller on my other tent but no seed mat or seed mat controller. I did use a 1500 watt heater in my garage ( where my tents are ) to heat the garage but was a killer in hydro costs. I have the Gz in a 4x4 with my 4 inch exhaust fan running constantly with the fan set on low with a speed controller. I think I will look into a smaller heater to have in the tent and use the temp controller to cycle it on and off to maintain my night time temps.

Looks perfectly even, nice job with that canopy. I shoot for temps no lower than 65F but the question is how accurate is the hygrometer? If your plants aren’t showing any symptoms, I wouldn’t worry too much. Just keep a close eye on things, that’s just my thoughts. Great job N!
I'm really happy with how the canopy is working out so far .
I made a small adjustment to one of the plants that had a leader that was a bit ahead of the rest of the plant doing it bit by bit is making life alot easier. I think the hydrometer is fairly accurate it's only a year old I had it in my veg tent before and it was matched with what my inkbird controller was showing. I'm not really seeing anything that tells me the temps are a problem yet but with your conformation of where the temps should be I will probably have to do something about it.

Thanks Multi that is a really smart idea using the seedling mat controller. I do have an inkbird temp controller on my other tent but no seed mat or seed mat controller. I did use a 1500 watt heater in my garage ( where my tents are ) to heat the garage but was a killer in hydro costs. I have the Gz in a 4x4 with my 4 inch exhaust fan running constantly with the fan set on low with a speed controller. I think I will look into a smaller heater to have in the tent and use the temp controller to cycle it on and off to maintain my night time temps.

Maybe overnight you could cut the exhaust back as much as possible? I'm not overly well versed with bare minimum air circulation and exchange, and whether you could cut it way back, or even use a tiny fan or something just for overnight.

But for certain the faster the fan, the quicker that heat is coming out. lol

Maybe run the heater perpendicular to the intake?

Maybe overnight you could cut the exhaust back as much as possible? I'm not overly well versed with bare minimum air circulation and exchange, and whether you could cut it way back, or even use a tiny fan or something just for overnight.
I could hook the inkbird to the exhaust fan to cycle it during the dark period. I think you want the air to be fully exchanged in the tent a minimum of every 5 mins. I ran the inkbird for my veg tent when I was using an led but that was during warmer weather and I felt the air exchanged enough but don't think it would cycle enough air now that it's cooler. Your right I could run the heater near the intake to draw in the warm air without the heater needing to be in the tent. I appreciate the suggestions gonna have to try a couple of things over the weekend and see what will work.

I appreciate the suggestions gonna have to try a couple of things over the weekend and see what will work.

You're welcome. Experiment and see what works and doesn't. Even during the day you can see how many degrees something raises the temp.

Hey everyone hope your enjoying their evening have an update tonight so let's get started.

I was mentioning an issue with low temps during lights out after monitoring things for a couple of days temps were getting down to 58 degrees to cold for the plants so I've come up with a solution I hope lol. I bought a low wattage heater it only draws 200 watts my plan is to have it in the tent hooked up to my inkbird controller to keep the temps up around 65. I just put it in tonight when the lights came on but we should be ready to go for tomorrow morning after the lights go off.
It's called the heat bud kinda a funny name considering what I'm using it for.
Put a piece of foil tape over the little red light on it so we have no light issues

Have seen a few minor deficiencies near the tops of the plants. I have bumped things up the last watering to 13.5g/8 liters. I have also noticed some of the older leaves near the bottom yellowing and falling off not sure if that's from not getting enough light or what. Overall the plants do have a nice healthy green color and are generally quite healthy. Not sure if I should continue to raise the feed or not.

Couple of pics of what I'm seeing first is the location where I'm seeing it.

And a couple of close up

While I was talking pics of the deficiencies I took a couple of them out of the tent gotta say I'm quite happy with how these plants are turning out.
From the top

This plant is a beast it's almost as wide as my entry hall!
From above

We are 9 days since the flip and we have some little buds forming.

Love the heater .. hopefully that fixes the issue you are having. As for the plants , they look fantastic with there buds starting. As for the problem plants , is it one or all. Does not look to bad, but better to nip that in the bud soon. Do you add cal mag to your feedings. Hope your Reno’s went well this weekend. Great job N .. chat soon. Magic

Heat bud! Perfect! Great looking plants too!
Ya I thought the name was perfect lol. Thanks Canuck pretty happy with these plants they are a finicky strain though.
Love the heater .. hopefully that fixes the issue you are having. As for the plants , they look fantastic with there buds starting. As for the problem plants , is it one or all. Does not look to bad, but better to nip that in the bud soon. Do you add cal mag to your feedings. Hope your Reno’s went well this weekend. Great job N .. chat soon. Magic
The the heater is great it's a tiny little thing but seems to be doing the trick my temps have been steady most of the day! The deficiencies seem to be effecting 2 plants mostly your right doesn't seem to bad but would like to get it figured so it doesn't progress anymore. I don't add cal mag right now I've read that if you see deficiency with the mega crop raise the dose but I'm getting to the upper reaches of what your supposed to feed with it.
Reno's are going good nearly got it done kinda hard to get to much accomplished with my little one's running around either me or the wife have to keep our eye on them while the other works on the reno.
Thanks Magic good to see you again bud hope you are well.

Glad to see it's working out for you and keeping those temps up enough. I'm not 100% sure yet, but I may have to add a second one. It's started to get really cold here (well below freezing) and much more of that and I'm not 100% sure it won't get a tick too frosty down there. (And NOT in a good way. :rofl:)

I think mine runs most of the time now during the 6 hour night, but whatev. I've been setting the temp control lower for overnight, and turning it back up during the day. As long as it's 65 or better I'm fine with that. Now later into flower, sure, I'll take 60, maybe even 55 the last couple of weeks. However if the house gets down that low at night, even in the basement... I've got way bigger issues than a slightly cool grow. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Good call with the heater and the bump in nutes! Things are looking great in there N :thumb:.

Like double H said, 65º should be about the low if you can manage that.

All in all things look pretty good. If anything now that you are in flower the def could be K. Logically you want to bump it up but that's when it gets confusing trying to determine if it's nute burn or K def after the adjustment.

1573604118074.png

Glad to see it's working out for you and keeping those temps up enough. I'm not 100% sure yet, but I may have to add a second one. It's started to get really cold here (well below freezing) and much more of that and I'm not 100% sure it won't get a tick too frosty down there. (And NOT in a good way. :rofl:)

I think mine runs most of the time now during the 6 hour night, but whatev. I've been setting the temp control lower for overnight, and turning it back up during the day. As long as it's 65 or better I'm fine with that. Now later into flower, sure, I'll take 60, maybe even 55 the last couple of weeks. However if the house gets down that low at night, even in the basement... I've got way bigger issues than a slightly cool grow. :laugh::laugh::laugh:
Ya it's working out pretty good so far I have made a couple of adjustments to the temp controller to get things where I want them but so far so good. I really haven't tracked how much it's turning on and off but at only 200 watts it is way less power then the 1500 watt I was using last year plus I'm only heating the tent and not the whole garage. Being on the west coast it doesn't normally get real cold until January or February and if we do get snow it's a rarity. Here's hoping the only indoor frost you see is in your tent lol.

I made the mistake of flipping on Feb 1st last year and my plants were too cold in the shed at night. This year I will not do that again!
That's pretty much the only time we see below zero temps here. Even in my garage that's attached to my house it gets real cold in there without a heater I don't think it's insulated all that well. I could imagine a shed would get really cold.

All in all things look pretty good. If anything now that you are in flower the def could be K. Logically you want to bump it up but that's when it gets confusing trying to determine if it's nute burn or K def after the adjustment.

1573604118074.png
Thanks Mr. S. I think your right as far as it being K deficiency. I will bump up again and keep an eye out for nute burn. It is a little confusing like you said as I have old damage and new damage but I'm hoping the nute burn should be easier to spot as it normally just effects the tips.

Back
Top Bottom