Name That Pest!

BrixNewb

Ok guys, I was watering tonight and came upon a pest. Try as I can I could not get one to get a picture and I have found nothing through a quick Google search. I was watering one of my plants and noticed a very small white/translucent bug crawl up the stem, possibly to avoid the water. It was long and its body articulated like a caterpillar. It is very small, hard to spot with the naked eye and I didn't see many, so I assume they live under the surface.

Anyone have any idea of a common cannabis pest I may be describing? The plant does not seem to have any issues, so perhaps this pest is not really a pest. Once I figure out what it is I can begin my research. Thanks in advance.

Sounds like some sort of inch worm and your best and most organic way to get rid of those caterpillar type pests is Safer's BTK Biological Insecticide or another product like it. We get those little white moths that lay their eggs on cauliflower and broccoli and it stops caterpillar damage there right away. I'm very uptight about chems on my food but don't fear this stuff.

A half inch layer of DE, Diatomaceous Earth, on top of the soil will kill anything that digs or crawls on the soil too and is beneficial to the plants. Can be mixed with water and sprayed on vegging plants to kill mites etc that live in the canopy as well with no residual effects. Not for buds tho.

Hope that helps!

:peace:

Sounds like some sort of inch worm and your best and most organic way to get rid of those caterpillar type pests is Safer's BTK Biological Insecticide or another product like it. We get those little white moths that lay their eggs on cauliflower and broccoli and it stops caterpillar damage there right away. I'm very uptight about chems on my food but don't fear this stuff.

A half inch layer of DE, Diatomaceous Earth, on top of the soil will kill anything that digs or crawls on the soil too and is beneficial to the plants. Can be mixed with water and sprayed on vegging plants to kill mites etc that live in the canopy as well with no residual effects. Not for buds tho.

Hope that helps!

Appreciate the reply. I don't think it's an inchworm, from my reading the closest thing I can find is hemp russet mites. That's the closest looking pest I have found. I looked under the fan leaves and there is nothing, they seem to be a soil dwelling creature. I think the DE is a great idea, if they come out when I water then I could lay down the DE and give the plants a good flush. Thanks!

The DE on top of the soil keeps critters from crawling up and prevents others like fungus gnats from laying eggs. Bottom watering keeps the top loose and dry. Any cracks in the surface will allow bugs to get in or out. Wet DE won't stop bugs and it's critical to maintain the cover if dealing with fungus gnats. Remove any bags of soil or un-treated pots of soil from your grow space as they are homes to gnats, mites etc.

If your plants are in veg and you're sure you have russet mites, tho they don't inch up a stem, then go full chemical warfare on those bastards!

Good luck.

Do they look like this? :)

rootmaggot1.jpg

LittleCat, they are much smaller than those. So small that I could not possibly catch one. I have ordered Diatomaceous Earth, I think that will be my first approach. They do not appear to be effecting the plants much at all if any, so I am not too concerned. The plants do have some leaf tacoing, but I believe that's from CalMag issue that wasn't addressed.

I would say fungus gnat larvae.. I just got rid of them lil bastards. I saw maybe 1 or 2 of them buggers flying in the tent and clapped them dead! but upon further inspection of the soil I had ALOT of Very tiny white looking worm like creature. did some research and it was fungus gnat larvae, the reason I found them is I was experiencing almost nute burn like symptoms on my leaves on a 29 day old critical cheese auto so I gently dug down and looked really close and they were everywhere on my new root growth about 2 1/2 inches under the soil. I used neem oil soak I got at wallyfart and let the soil dry out and they were gone and my plant then continued to grow great! My issue was I did a tad overwatering on a auto seedling in a 5gallon pot. Doh!

That could be thrip larva. They will crawl up the stem and chew and poop on your leaves. They leave yellow trails and little black poops on your leaves. Spray with an insecticide if you're worried.

That could be thrip larva. They will crawl up the stem and chew and poop on your leaves. They leave yellow trails and little black poops on your leaves. Spray with an insecticide if you're worried.

I don't know, I checked leaves and there is nothing. When I did discover them was when I was watering. It looked like it climbed up the stem to avoid drowning and then right back into the soil. The others that I have uncovered by moving the soil again when right back in ASAP. I think they are a soil dweller. I am not too worried because my plants are still doing as well as ever, plus I have the Diatomaceous Earth coming, hoping that takes care of them if they are indeed a detriment.

Back
Top Bottom