Natural Spirit's Grafting Journey Of 2019

Plus you’re adding about 69x difficulty because you’re going to a willow. I started the game of level 1, you’re at the boss.

It kinda suits me to try the “hard” level first and downscale If it really really doesnt work lol! I decided This willow has Nothing to say in the grafting story. XD

Its interesting How She seems to change Leaf appearance on the willow leafs... I have been told it doesnt happen Normally... who knows i really made a frankenwillow?:dude-knocking:

Glad the move went well mate. As long as everything the plants need is unpacked...and maybe a knife ,fork and cup you’re golden!

Thnx LD! The doggo, cat and myself have food and water and there is even a change of clothes for me around, that fork tough... ;)

Totally forgot to take the picture so ill be jumping in the box now!

It was hard to capture it true the bag... Its green and I hope perking Up soon!

The leafs of the willow have these hairs and points... it needs Some research on my end to see If This is common among willows:nomo:

It is right? specially when every story i have been hearing was that they would not mix properties. Now i am not so sure anymore hehe. It might turn out to be a canna willow in the end xD

The graft is still green! Because of a extra brench that is growing(willow) in that bag, it is hard to say how fast things go. Surviving a move, slightly neclecting and grafted... this willow is going for the graft :snowboating:

let's hope it starts growing fast:dude-knocking:

Hey dude. Nice to see someone pushing the envelope. Good luck with the willow graft that’d be a first.

I did a bunch of grafts at one point using living plants - the method is similar in most ways but instead of fitting together two matching V’s it is more like two half V’s fit together. It’s detailed somewhere in the early days of my current journal I think. I make opposing slits about 60-70% of the way through the two stems then slide them together to interlock tightly.
In the early days I wrapped the joint with whatever was around-which worked ok- but eventually found some Teflon tape in the shop which worked best. Teflon tape is actually the same thing as Gore-Tex, so presumably it breathes slightly. Living plants are pretty easy to keep alive while they graft- so you may have better results when doing tricky things such as you are.

As LA said, they’ll join best where the tissues line up best. However, even if things aren’t perfectly lined up, they do naturally tend to want to join together. I had regular parallel stems that were in close proximity merge into one stem without any attempt at grafting them on my part. (Edit- that’s not entirely true I guess- the stems were close together because they were joined by a graft nearby. But what I mean is- they were just regular stems- not sliced, scraped, or treated in any way other than being squished together side by side)

I also found a tree in the forest once that had separated into twin trunks. The two trunks of the tree had then grown back together into a single perfectly unified trunk farther up, forming a sort of very large oval hole in the mid section. It seems to be a natural inclination for plants to do this stuff, even if its maybe a difficult process for them at times.

I hope it grafts successfully, that would be really cool.

This one feels good so far buddy so who knows... the Avocado will be next on the list so we will see what the future brings :cheer:

Hey dude. Nice to see someone pushing the envelope. Good luck with the willow graft that’d be a first.

I did a bunch of grafts at one point using living plants - the method is similar in most ways but instead of fitting together two matching V’s it is more like two half V’s fit together. It’s detailed somewhere in the early days of my current journal I think. I make opposing slits about 60-70% of the way through the two stems then slide them together to interlock tightly.
In the early days I wrapped the joint with whatever was around-which worked ok- but eventually found some Teflon tape in the shop which worked best. Teflon tape is actually the same thing as Gore-Tex, so presumably it breathes slightly. Living plants are pretty easy to keep alive while they graft- so you may have better results when doing tricky things such as you are.

As LA said, they’ll join best where the tissues line up best. However, even if things aren’t perfectly lined up, they do naturally tend to want to join together. I had regular parallel stems that were in close proximity merge into one stem without any attempt at grafting them on my part. (Edit- that’s not entirely true I guess- the stems were close together because they were joined by a graft nearby. But what I mean is- they were just regular stems- not sliced, scraped, or treated in any way other than being squished together side by side)

I also found a tree in the forest once that had separated into twin trunks. The two trunks of the tree had then grown back together into a single perfectly unified trunk farther up, forming a sort of very large oval hole in the mid section. It seems to be a natural inclination for plants to do this stuff, even if its maybe a difficult process for them at times.

Thank you for sharing this WC! this is so much fun and i gather more and more info with every post. Slicing them the way you mention is absolutely usefull as there is more surface contact in the Cambium(right?) layers.

The teflon tape is a new one! i have some laying around and i'll try that next graft for sure. There is a part in me that wants to unbag her, check how far the stem and brench have grown into eachother, but like many have told me by now... LEAVE THE BAG ON lol~. I can be so impatient when it comes to something i love hehe.

There will be grafting succes this year. it's always possible to graft cannabis to cannabis, but where is the fun in that... everyone try that so i like this willow to work hehe.

Thnx for sharing and stay tuned for the frankenwillow:goof:

Slicing them the way you mention is absolutely usefull as there is more surface contact in the Cambium(right?) layers.

Hmmm - well I didn’t study your pics super closely (I’m what they call visually impaired) but I think my method would get you less surface contact. The main advantage would be that you’re working with living plants throughout the process- so there’s a lot more forgiveness. Disadvantages would be the it’s a little more finicky at least the first few times till you get the hang of it. I dug up a link to one of my attempts to explain the method. Weasel Forges Ahead
I didn’t find examples of the method elsewhere on the net, it was just a ‘wacky idea’ someone on the forum mentioned and I decided to try, though I’m sure it has been done as it seems like a fairly obvious way to go.

Thank you for that picture buddy! It's been hectic for me lately and i find my brain a little fried every now and then. The picture made it clear. I do understand that way and yes the both sides living would probably help alot. What is less sure in my head ... would the dna strangle like the brenches? in a Cannabis vs Cannabis graft this isnt something to be worried about, tough smoking a willow may sound more magical then the effect :nerd-with-glasses:

What i did find out so far is that green on green is easyer (on a willow) then grafting a green stem to a brown and woody host. That already sounded logical, tough now i have found out about it hehe.

Enough talked... the last few days i went to the girls and every time i forgot my phone.. well that ends now! giggety

Off to the girls and back with some pics in a while.....:slide:

Time to show my frankenwillow!

As you can see below the pictures aint easy to make. All 4 shots were uploaded so we can all look. Last time i missed some grow to remember? :p

So the graft is still green and she is not looking like she will die. It does look a little like a thirsty girl, but its ok if it wont get worse. The seal on the brench really needs more attention next time and i'll start using teflon tape. It's always around tough i kept forgetting about it.

What do you guys think?

Good thing you used a clear bag this time! Looks good so far. I'm guessing visible new growth would be the definitive indication that it's a success?

Dear shed... I know I promissed you a clear bag and your reaction clearly shows you trust me all the way.... because of This it might be disappointing to you that i (again) used a sandwich bag

We are sorry for the trouble you went true telling me all the benefits of a clear bag.

Hereby I pinky swear there Will be Only clear bags in the future, unless I dont own any at that specific time :laughtwo:

“This entire message was brought to you by a very medicated and handsome Guy, Please dont take any of it serious”

Oh and Yes I really wait for the new growth This round :p

Great work man (it’s ma’am!, jk). Looks like that leaf in your 2nd/3rd pic is deforming and eating itself like a condition I encountered called edema, which is a great sign IMO because that means it’s healthy enough to react to abnormal conditions/ excessive water retention.

Its hard to tell from the pic, but when you look at the bag up close in person does the leaf look anything like these or are my eyes playing tricks on me? If it does, I think you may be in business or are very close, dude!
584EADAB-7E65-4A0F-978D-4C71CBAF6786.png

Back
Top Bottom