NC: Newton Business Owner Threatens To Move Company Over Weed Charges

Katelyn Baker

Newton — A Newton business owner intends to move his business and 50 jobs out of the county after the Catawba County Sheriff's Office charged him with felony drug possession Tuesday.

Ted Corriher, 51, of Newton, turned himself in on charges of one felony count of marijuana possession, one felony count of maintaining a dwelling for controlled substances and one misdemeanor count of possession of drug paraphernalia. He also faces an unrelated misdemeanor count of simple assault.

Corriher claims that seven to nine deputies did $40,000 worth of damage to his home during a search Monday. He said deputies ransacked his home and cut open his carpet.

Catawba County Sheriff Coy Reid said narcotics officers found 200 grams of marijuana and drug paraphernalia in Corriher's Shook Avenue home, including multiple bongs, rolling papers, smoking pipes and digital scales.

"I didn't even have that much, it was tripled," Corriher said. "They are weighing either their hand or the glass jar that it was in."

Even a fifth of the amount seized by deputies would be at the felony level. Corriher said he did possess close around 3.5 ounces, nearly 100 grams.

"We had a probable cause warrant signed by a judge," Reid said. "We're not going to turn our heads just because he has money in the county, and no other sheriff will either."

Corriher said he has smoked marijuana since he was 16 years old. He also admitted to a previous charge of growing marijuana near Lenoir.

"Everybody in this county knows I smoke pot. Everyone at my church knows I smoke," Corriher said. "I'm a good person. I am a pillar of this community."

Corriher said he intends to move his business, Corriher Implements Company, out of the county in response to the charges. On the windows of his business, the words "Taking 50 jobs somewhere else!" are printed in yellow block-text.

"I am going to Iredell County. I am just not giving Catawba County any more of my tax money for them to do something like this to someone that didn't deserve it," Corriher said. "I'm a business man that brings in $14 million a year from out of this state and into this county. I contribute $50,000 a year in donations in this county. I pay about $80,000 a year in property tax."

Reid said controlled substance laws are set at the state level, with Iredell having the same laws on marijuana possession as Catawba County.

"No one is above the law," Reid said. "If he wants to smoke weed, he should move somewhere it is legal."
Corriher was released Tuesday after meeting the terms of a $5,000 secured bond.

cred-robert-c-reed.jpg

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Newton Business Owner Threatens To Move Company Over Weed Charges
Author: Tom Neas
Photo Credit: Robert C. Reed

Back
Top Bottom